health concerns

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 03:15 am
I want to know what foods i should avoid eating, and what foods cause diseases etc..

Im convinced pork is horrific for my health, but i want a more specific list of everyday foods that i should never eat. well i hope you know what i mean..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 962 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 04:57 am
Unless you are an Orthodox Jew, or a practicing Muslim, there is nothing intrinsically unhealthy about pork. Bacon should be eaten crisp, and in moderation, because of its fat content.

The same goes for other fatty, or sugary foods. IMO a person should avoid full fat milk products, very salty foods, white breads (whole wheat is fine) and too much candy, cake, pie, and fried and/or breaded foods.

There are no foods that are going to make you sick, in and of itself. The key is to only eat those foods in small amounts that would tend to cause some trouble. One of the things that many people are not aware of, is the amount of salt that is in some foods, especially canned soups and frozen dinners, even the so called "diet dinners". Always check the label for the salt content of the product. Oh, and stay away from trans-fats.

A couple of Krispy Kremes and a chocolate milk does not make a healthful breakfast.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 05:05 am
how much salt is 2 much, i eat a grip of it. way to much most likely.
what does eating 2 much salt do to my health?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 05:10 am
Quote:
The amount of salt that we eat has a direct effect on our blood pressure. The more salt we eat, the higher our blood pressure. This is true, not only in people with high blood pressure, but also in people with normal blood pressure. A high salt intake also causes other health damage such as greater retention of water in your body, which leads to swelling of the ankles. Too much salt also worsens thinning of the bones (osteoporosis), asthma and kidney disease and is closely related to cancer of the stomach. Therefore, everyone should cut the amount of salt they eat.

http://www.bpassoc.org.uk/information/lifestyle/salt.htm

If you read the entire article from which I have quoted, it goes into greater detail about the kinds of foods that have too much salt.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 06:16 am
BULLSHIT! man i fuckin love salt too!
oh well. looks like ill have to overdose on fruit instead. haha i was hoping its harmful effects werent so, harmful i guess. bah.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 06:58 am
If there is any situation where the phrase "All things in moderation" applies, it is with food, IMO.

Pretty much anything can be bad for you if you eat it in excess whereas a little bit of most any food stuffs won't harm you at all. There is no magic bullet.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 07:40 am
Everything has caused cancer or will cause cancer or will eventually kill us if we eat more than 2 oz per day in any give lunar cycle....blah blah blah, you get my point.

fishin is right...everything in moderation.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 07:42 am
On top of that, going out with a perfect body isn't my thing. I am going to use this body right up because once your dead, your dead.

No need to be wasteful with it; I'm not saying that. But I am saying I am not going to spend my life avoiding things that *might* make me lose a few days off my life span.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 03:52 pm
Remember; you are what you eat! Very Happy
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 04:01 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
But I am saying I am not going to spend my life avoiding things that *might* make me lose a few days off my life span.

That is not really the issue. What you don't want is an old age fraught with debilitation, because of things you could have controlled.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 06:43 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
But I am saying I am not going to spend my life avoiding things that *might* make me lose a few days off my life span.

That is not really the issue. What you don't want is an old age fraught with debilitation, because of things you could have controlled.

That's true but a lot of people don't drink or enjoy chocolate cake because they are afraid of getting fat or having high choloesterol or having a heart attack....when doing those things in moderation won't make you fat or give you high cholesterol or cause a heart attack...unless you were going to have one anyway, in which case it wouldn't matter if you ate that cake or drank that beer.

That's what i mean by that. I refuse to be a hostage to good health. You can be healthy and still enjoy the "bad" things.

That was my point.
0 Replies