Former Powell aide says Bush, Cheney guilty of 'high crimes'

Zippo

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 02:06 pm
Quote:

Nick Juliano
Published: Thursday May 10, 2007

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/images/1224-02.jpg

A former top State Department aide to Colin Powell said today that President Bush and Vice President Cheney are more deserving of impeachment than was Bill Clinton.

Lawrence Wilkerson, who was chief of staff to then-Secretary of State Colin Powell, said on the public radio program On Point Thursday that "Bill Clinton's peccadilloes ... pale in significance" when compared to the "high crimes and misdemeanors" of Bush and Cheney.

Wilkerson did not directly call on Congress to begin impeachment hearings, and he brought up impeachment in response to a caller's question. Early in the show, however, he observed, "This administration doesn't know how to effect accountability, in my opinion."

Wilkerson's comments were first reported by pro-impeachment Web site AfterDowningStreet.org...

SOURCE

Unfortunately, this congress will not impeach Bush and/or Cheney, because the whole unravelling, from stolen elections, through 9/11 and the wars against Afghanistan and Iraq, will show them all to be complicit in some way or other.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,001 • Replies: 24
No top replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 06:49 pm
Blair too. And how bout Powell giving fake evidence at the UN? He knew it was BS and said as much beforehand.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 07:20 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
Blair too. And how bout Powell giving fake evidence at the UN? He knew it was BS and said as much beforehand.

Even if you had a specific statement that Powell made that you could prove he knew was false when he made it, which you certainly don't, it wouldn't matter, because lying to the UN isn't a violation of any law.

And, by the way, probably "complicit in some way or other" is not an impeachable offense.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 07:34 pm
It doesn't matter, because it isn't against the law?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 07:38 pm
snood wrote:

must be true, it seems to be Gonzales defense.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 07:48 pm
Right. And Brandon knows that no one in America either watched or listened to Powell's speech so nobody drew any false impressions from the horse dookie.

Joe(I cleaned that up in case Laura reads this)Nation
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 05:48 am
Re: Former Powell aide says Bush, Cheney guilty of 'high cri
Zippo wrote:
Quote:

Nick Juliano
Published: Thursday May 10, 2007

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/images/1224-02.jpg

A former top State Department aide to Colin Powell said today that President Bush and Vice President Cheney are more deserving of impeachment than was Bill Clinton.

Lawrence Wilkerson, who was chief of staff to then-Secretary of State Colin Powell, said on the public radio program On Point Thursday that "Bill Clinton's peccadilloes ... pale in significance" when compared to the "high crimes and misdemeanors" of Bush and Cheney.

Wilkerson did not directly call on Congress to begin impeachment hearings, and he brought up impeachment in response to a caller's question. Early in the show, however, he observed, "This administration doesn't know how to effect accountability, in my opinion."

Wilkerson's comments were first reported by pro-impeachment Web site AfterDowningStreet.org...

SOURCE

Unfortunately, this congress will not impeach Bush and/or Cheney, because the whole unravelling, from stolen elections, through 9/11 and the wars against Afghanistan and Iraq, will show them all to be complicit in some way or other.

Yep, just another tout who NOW brings up everything that was wrong in the war planning. Where was this "so called TOP AIDE" in 2001?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 06:42 am
Yeah, someone (Powell and Tenent come to mind first) should have said something... you're right there.

But it's still amazing to me how all the outrage from the rightist A2K'ers is reserved for those lote whistle blowers, but not for the ones who did the deceiving and got us into this mess.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 07:22 am
snood wrote:
Yeah, someone (Powell and Tenent come to mind first) should have said something... you're right there.

But it's still amazing to me how all the outrage from the rightist A2K'ers is reserved for those lote whistle blowers, but not for the ones who did the deceiving and got us into this mess.

Mainly because they are the SAME PEOPLE.

Senators who in the 1990's voiced their concern over WMD in Iraq AND voted FOR the war can not come out now and only say GW did a bad job.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 08:34 am
Well, they can, but they expose themselves as the little obedient followers that they are.

Joe(yes. all of them including her)Nation
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 09:08 am
There had been a general desire to get rid of Sadaam for many years and at least 3 administrations, yes, but the impetus for this war was from George Bush. This was his war. The Bush administration used 9/11 to amp up fear and support for this bogus war, they cherry-picked the intel, they sold it to the UN and the world. Nothing any of you rightwing clowns can barf will change that.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 06:01 pm
snood wrote:

It would matter morally but not legally, and, incidentally, I do not believe that Powell did knowingly present false data. My point is that the previous posters think people are going to jail because of non-crimes, which they have no evidence for anyway.

You can never win an argument with me if your sole technique is to argue with positions which I haven't taken. Argue with things I actually am saying and actually do believe.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 06:02 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Right. And Brandon knows that no one in America either watched or listened to Powell's speech so nobody drew any false impressions from the horse dookie.

Joe(I cleaned that up in case Laura reads this)Nation

You disgree? Give me a specific false statement that Powell made and some evidence that he knew it was false when he said it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 06:05 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Well, they can, but they expose themselves as the little obedient followers that they are.

Joe(yes. all of them including her)Nation

If this were true, it would indeed make your argument easier, but the fact is that I support most things Bush does only because they're the same things I would have done, at least approximately. I am following my own opinions, and, quite naturally, support anyone in a position to implement my opinions. Since you cannot prevail arguing with my actual position, you pretend that I support president Bush out of some kind of loyalty, rather than simply because I agree with him. Grow some guts and try to argue with my actual position.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 06:09 pm
snood wrote:
There had been a general desire to get rid of Sadaam for many years and at least 3 administrations, yes, but the impetus for this war was from George Bush. This was his war. The Bush administration used 9/11 to amp up fear and support for this bogus war, they cherry-picked the intel, they sold it to the UN and the world. Nothing any of you rightwing clowns can barf will change that.

Baloney. Many, many, many people believed that Saddam Hussein was still developing WMD in hiding, and no sane person would have wanted that guy armed with nukes or bioweapons. Based on what was known at the time, invasion was the prudent course. You hint at duplicity by the Bush administration, but are never specific.
0 Replies

anton

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 07:17 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

Baloney. Many, many, many people believed that Saddam Hussein was still developing WMD in hiding, and no sane person would have wanted that guy armed with nukes or bioweapons. Based on what was known at the time, invasion was the prudent course. You hint at duplicity by the Bush administration, but are never specific.

The US is the only country ever to use nuclear weapons and they are still using them in the form of DU weaponry (Depleted Uranium). During the Cuban missile fiasco they were prepared to enter a nuclear war without consultation with their allies; paranoia rules supreme in the US and if any nuclear capable country is a danger to world peace it is undoubtedly the United States of America … Saddam Insane would only have had to blink a nuclear eye and his country would have been vaporized by Israel and the US, he was no more a danger to world peace than is Iran.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 06:01 am
anton wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

The US is the only country ever to use nuclear weapons and they are still using them in the form of DU weaponry (Depleted Uranium). During the Cuban missile fiasco they were prepared to enter a nuclear war without consultation with their allies; paranoia rules supreme in the US and if any nuclear capable country is a danger to world peace it is undoubtedly the United States of America … Saddam Insane would only have had to blink a nuclear eye and his country would have been vaporized by Israel and the US, he was no more a danger to world peace than is Iran.

Just for the record, you're saying that even had Saddam Hussein acquired nuclear and/or serious biological weapons, he would have posed no danger to the world?
0 Replies

anton

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 05:42 pm
You got it in one, well done!
That's exactly what I am saying, from where I'm standing and based on historical fact the US is a bigger danger to world peace than Iraq, Iran, North Korea or Afghanistan. It's only people like you who believe their own US fiction that propagate this bulldust, that's why the rest of the world is turning its back on you.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 05:42 am
anton wrote:
You got it in one, well done!
That's exactly what I am saying, from where I'm standing and based on historical fact the US is a bigger danger to world peace than Iraq, Iran, North Korea or Afghanistan. It's only people like you who believe their own US fiction that propagate this bulldust, that's why the rest of the world is turning its back on you.

Stop trying to dilute one line of discussion with others. Whether the US is or is not a danger to world peace has nothing to do with assessing whether a Saddam Hussein armed with nuclear and bioweapons would have been a danger, which was my question to you. They are separate arguments. So, you are apparently saying that a man who twice invaded his neighbors, once openly trying to annex it (Kuwait), and who used nerve gas to indiscriminately kill an entire town, deliberately, not accidentally, murdering women and children, a man who had 300 army officers executed for disloyalty during the war with Iran, would have been no danger if armed with weapons so powerful that one use of one could kill hundreds of thousands. I must respectfully disagree with this conclusion.
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 06:19 am
Brandon9000, here is a news flash!

CIA's final report: No WMD found in Iraq

Can you kindly grab hold of your ears and firmly pull your head...
0 Replies