Hamster Dancin' Around the World

Eva

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 04:17 pm
A farmers' market! What fun!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 04:24 pm
A little more description for the pics Dys posted:

The one on top was a booth that sold beautiful ristras made of chilies, corn cobs and other foods, plus fresh fruit.

Next is Penny nestled in among some herbs and native plants for sale.

Third down is Penny between baskets of fresh chilies.

In the fourth photo, Penny is posing amid lots of beautiful succulents. The large one on the right had to come home with us.

The last is of a quilt the young man's mother made for him as a sign for his farm. He is holding Penny next to the quilt. I think Penny has a crush on him.

This particular farmer's market is held every Sunday from 9:00 to 12:00. We were too late for the entertainment, which was a violinist and later some African drummers.

Farmers from all over New Mexico come to sell their fruits and veggies, fresh eggs (also some little chickens and baby turkeys were there), plus crafts and homemade pies, cobblers, cookies, spices, jellies and candy. All the produce is organically grown without pesticides or hormones.

I think that will be it for Albuquerque. Sorry we couldn't do more, but things happen unexpectedly. Still, I'm hoping sozlet will enjoy our photos and will even want to come to New Mexico for a visit. There is so much throughout the state that we couldn't possibly photograph, especially all the spectacular scenery and native Indian pueblos and their wonderful pottery and jewelry.

Penny, the little jet-setter, will be off tomorrow for a visit in Pennsylvania with Noddy. We have enjoyed meeting her and so have Fred, Sally and Dante.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 04:27 pm
I'm looking forward to her arrival.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 06:22 pm
Those turned out great, Diane. (I got a Euphorbia quadrangula, I think; well, at first, I thought it was a Euphorbia quattrosomething - can't find it on google - from the same great plant purveyor.) We have to go back one of these next sundays: I have my eye on a certain honeysuckle...

I also couldn't help but notice this amazing blooming plant that looked something like a crassula...
and the fellow gave me his card, saying it was an Adenium obesum.

obesum???? I may have to get one of those too.

I took one overall photo of the market as it seemed to nestle beneath the Sandias, but who knows when I'll get the film developed. I'll add it here when I do and send a print to Penny's Base.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 06:24 pm
Osso--you got the guy's card? Great, I want to keep an eye out for him from now on.

Love that farmer's market.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 06:33 pm
Yes! as we discussed, he really knew what he was talking about. I nearly laughed when he explained solemnly that he didn't know the common names, only the latin ones (that's me in a nutshell).

OK, here's an online puff for him. Not only did he have healthy plants, very obvious, a courteous manner in the blazing sun, and patience - when he was thinking of packing up his truck - to wait for a certain Lady Diane to go shoot photos with a certain Penny Hamster before she picked up her purchase.

So -

Rio Grande Cacti
Wholesale/Retail
Quality
hardy cacti
of the southwest

www.riogrande-cacti.com
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 06:45 pm
To explain, if the Rio Grande Cacti people ever see this, the honeysuckle was in an adjacent display stall.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 06:52 pm
Oh my gosh! That web site reminded me of the glorious gardens I was used to seeing while growing up in Tucson. Beautiful!!

Sorry--now back to Penny>
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 11:36 pm
Eva wrote:
A farmers' market! What fun!

I like it that she now compare this one to the Union Square farmer market in New York and our local town market..

Greatpics again!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 12:12 am
BTW, the pic of Penny on top of a cow skull isn't meant to look like she took part in a horror film. Our son found the skull on a camping trip last year in the Gila mountains. Cow skulls are very common finds in ranch country as many of my ranching relatives can attest.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 06:52 am
Sozlet loved that one. She thought it looked very cool and Southwestern.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 11:40 am
Whew!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 11:45 am
dyslexia wrote:
Penney, Sally dog and The Dys watching the telly:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1066/997877996_3f63969b9d.jpg

Very Happy
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 11:51 am
Awwwwwwwww.......... Very Happy
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 06:33 pm
Yep, Sally obviously has a stress problem... Cool
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 11:17 pm
Obviously Laughing
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 03:57 am
Yes, Diane. Sally needs to chill out. But I loved that pic for three reasons. Sally. Mr. Lexia looking somewhat mellow. And Penny mirroring Sally. Loved that.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 10:46 am
before leaving th eland of enchantment, Penney visits BBB as well as Madison and Dolly;
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1178/1040531897_aec39536cb.jpg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 01:53 pm
My apologizes.

When I came home on Tuesday after a rather hectic morning, Penny was in the mailbox. Of course I immediately opened the package and let her get settled in.

Wednesday and Thursday were two more hectic days, but Penny is an ideal houseguest--always pleasant and making very few demands.

I'll post more later.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 01:56 pm
dyslexia wrote:
before leaving th eland of enchantment, Penney visits BBB as well as Madison and Dolly;
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1178/1040531897_aec39536cb.jpg

Awwwwwwwww!!!!! :-D
0 Replies