0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 10:36 am
Speaking about New York ... here's Penny on Governors Island

http://i17.tinypic.com/641uo1w.jpg
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 05:50 pm
Is Penny aware of what dogs do on upright structures like that?

I'm sure Eva, being a mother, will teach Penny about personal hygiene and what NOT to touch during her travels.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 11:10 am
WE'RE BACK!!!

Penny and I arrived home safely from Puerto Rico last night. Lots of stories and photos as soon as I can download them.

Stay tuned!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 12:29 pm
*cheerful sigh*

PENNY.

Thanks for reporting, Eva, and I hope, you had had a nice and recreational time!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 12:34 pm
Great, lookin' forward to pictures and stories..!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 09:27 pm
July 5 -

Penny and I flew from Tulsa to DFW to San Juan, Puerto Rico. Penny got her first look at the turquoise waters of the Caribbean from our window seat on the plane. The islands look like dark green spots ringed with white (beaches) in the midst of all the dark blue, bright turquoise and light green water. The water is so clear that you can see the shadows of the clouds on the bottom of the sea. When the sun shines on the water, it all looks like jewelry. It's just gorgeous.

Unfortunately, the rest of the day was a comedy of errors.

The flight attendant spilled Diet Coke in my lap and all down the front of my white pants. (Not a drop on Penny, though.) We arrived in San Juan, but our luggage didn't. Yep, you guessed it...all my other clothes were in the lost luggage, so I had to keep wearing the now-sticky white pants with brown stains.

We took a cab to the hotel, but the driver dropped us off at the wrong plaza, pointing at the opposite side of the square. Of course, by the time I realized this wasn't the right place, he was long gone. So I flagged down another taxi and told that driver my sob story. I must have looked quite a sight, because he delivered us to the front door of our hotel (5 miles away) for free! (Anyone needing a cab in San Juan, call Manuel Guzman, (787) 640-0403, Servicio 24 Horas)

I had not slept for 24 hours or eaten anything since I left Tulsa, so I was in bad shape. Did I mention that American Airlines no longer provides meals or snacks? Oh sure, I could have bought a small meat-only turkey sandwich for $5 or a cookie for $3...the air equivalent of highway robbery. It was bad enough that they charged us $1 for a small plastic cup of Diet Coke with ice. (No charge for the one they spilled on me.) The only thing they'd give you for free was water. Unless you wanted bottled water. That was $2. Sheesh.

I arrived at the hotel two hours late. My cell phone said, "No Service." There was no phone in my room. (Sigh.)

I washed my pants in the bathroom sink and ironed/blowdried them until they were only slightly damp and went to find out if my friends had checked in yet. Fortunately, they had. They took one look at me and said, "What happened to YOU?!" I'm sure I looked very bedraggled. But it was SO good to see friendly faces.

Through it all, Penny was a real trooper. She put up with all the madness and never blinked an eye. I didn't hear her complain once.

(to be continued...)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 09:37 pm
This is hilarious (sorry!). Reminds me of one of my long ago trips to Mexico and a more recent one with a stay in New York. But, poor me, I didn't have Penny to help me bear those difficulties! Looking forward to more exciting details, Eva...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 10:03 pm
I've noticed similar nonsense (re airlines, that is) last year and updated to business: there, you get, what you get here for free in economy. Shocked (Well, in real porcellaine, not in plastic, though.)
(When I fly to Frankfurt, I never know to get my coffee cold .... 35 mins Laughing )

I'm sure, Penny enjoyed that: she's sooooo adventuresomely!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 03:57 pm
Here is the hotel where Penny and I stayed in the heart of Old San Juan.

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/7853/puertorico2007044qa1.jpg
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 04:28 pm
So Eva, did you have a cigar?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 04:30 pm
The hotel was located on the Plaza de Armas (seen here.) The white building with the twin towers is City Hall.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/2538/puertorico2007041an6.jpg
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 04:32 pm
dyslexia wrote:
So Eva, did you have a cigar?

No.

And neither did Penny.

Laughing
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 04:41 pm
I did, however, take her to the place that invented the pina colada. (See plaque in photo.)

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9499/puertorico2007004fm4.jpg

I tried to make up for all the hassles upon arrival by buying Penny one of their famous pina coladas. But Penny doesn't drink, apparently. Who knew?! So she played with the paper umbrellas while I finished off her drink. There was a LOT of rum in it. Fortunately, our hotel was just around the corner.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/3767/puertorico2007050bc9.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 04:44 pm
all of those umbrellas?

Eva!

Shocked
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 04:46 pm
Sozlet's delighted with the new pics!

(She does note though, "I knew she didn't drink...")
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 04:53 pm
OK, trying to transcribe, this is sozlet talking:

One thing that's really cool that you might not know is that Penny and I can talk to each other even though we're really far away and Penny wanted the person who's taking care of her to know that when they went through security and Penny went through the machine she was a little scared :( because it was [i]dark[/i] in there, but she didn't want to tell her [air quotes] "owner," or person who's taking care of her [I offered "hostess"] yeah hostess, because Penny wanted her to think that she [Penny] was brave.

(Emoticon inserted on request.)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 07:56 pm
You know, I DID notice that Penny's eyes were wider than usual when she came through the x-ray machine at the first security check. That explains it. Tell sozlet not to worry. Penny is getting used to it now that she's traveling so much. By the time she makes it back home, she will have gone through dozens of airport x-ray machines.

While we were in Old San Juan, we went down to the cruise ship docks where street vendors sell knock-off designer purses. (We couldn't tell for sure, but some of them might have been real.) It's a lot of fun to bargain...no one in our group paid more than $50 for anything. Penny had her eye on a certain little pink striped Kate Spade number that matched her nose.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/5377/puertorico2007053qr7.jpg
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 08:02 pm
Penny was a little out of breath after climbing this hill, so we stopped at this beautiful little park and sat in the shade for a few minutes. "The Park of the Children (Los Ninos)"

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/6486/puertorico2007046ji9.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 08:05 pm
(I treasure my knock-off Fendi....)

Your tale of Penny's adventure is a delight...
0 Replies