Chief supervisor

J-B

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 07:22 am
What is the American equivalent of a teacher who takes charge of a regular class, or one who supervises over students moral and social conducts?

Thanks
J-B
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 849 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 09:05 am
Only in a few private schools are is there any supervision over the moral and social conduct of students. Of course, criminal activity is a matter for the police. College level students are considered adult enough to manage their own moral lives. Politically there are no controls over students or factulty. Hence, we have no equivalent for the Chinese system of social and moral supervision.

Teachers are in charge of their classrooms, and at the college level are left to pretty much set their own curriculum. High School teachers have somewhat less leeway. They are given a set course to teach that must satisfy their Principal (school administrator), the local school board (made up of elected or appointed officials by the community), and the educational requirements of their State. At the high school level there are generally different teachers for each subject; History Teacher, English Teacher, Biology Teacher, Coach, etc. Most high school teachers have at least a BA and a teaching certificate. High school teachers may teach several different subjects, and most college teachers only teach courses within their own academic discipline. Most college teachers have a minimum of a Master's degree, but most are PhDs.

Recommendations from teachers of your course work will count here more than anything from the Political courses. When do you expect to learn your SAT scores?

BTW, you don't need some of the words in your question.

"What is the American equivalent of a teacher who takes charge of a regular class, or one who supervises over students moral and social conducts?" 25 words.

My rendering is: "What is the American equivalent of regular classroom teachers, or a supervisor of student's moral and social conduct." 18 words. A big part of good writing is editing, and one of the essentials of editing is trimming away un-necessary words and phrases. Your writing is far better than that of many Americans, but it still has a way to go. Spending time totally immersed in the English language will help, and that may be one of the benefits of spending a summer at UC.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 06:52 pm
Asherman: good points about the school system, bad grammar suggestions.

Quote:
BTW, you don't need some of the words in your question.

"What is the American equivalent of a teacher who takes charge of a regular class, or one who supervises over students moral and social conducts?" 25 words.

My rendering is: "What is the American equivalent of regular classroom teachers, or a supervisor of student's moral and social conduct." 18 words. A big part of good writing is editing, and one of the essentials of editing is trimming away un-necessary words and phrases.

J-B's initial question was not confusing or overly wordy by any standard. Just because your version has 7 less words doesn't mean it is any better. In fact, J-B's version was more coherent and grammatically correct than yours.

1) "X is equivalent to Y" X is singular. Therefore Y should be singular. You make it plural.

2) You use " student's " -- it should be " students' "

3) unnecessary is a single word, no hyphenation should be used.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 08:50 pm
Re: Chief supervisor
J-B wrote:
What is the American equivalent of a teacher who takes charge of a regular class, or one who supervises over students moral and social conducts?

Thanks
J-B

In America, the "chief supervisor" would be called the Principal. The principal is in charge of a whole middle school or elementary school. Although he does not give regular lectures on moral or social conducts, disobedient students are sent to the principal's office where he will generally give them just such a lecture.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 07:10 am
Hehe, don't readily start a quarrel here, guys. (Maybe that's regular A2k style of discussion) Certainly different people have developed different ways to do certain things over years. It's not very sensible to argue too much over other's established habits merely because they are different.

In case you don't know, Mr Asherman has been my mentor in English writing for quite a long a time. He regularly checks my works and gives me his distinct and useful advice. So now if you thought Mr Asherman was lecturing me in a bossy manner, you should think it again.

Thanks everybody.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 07:12 am
BTW, what if I really have to give a name for the title, even without explaining it? Can I say, "Class supervisor" or "head teacher"? Still I think experienced admission officers specialized in certain regions will easily understand what I mean.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 07:40 am
Quote:
Just because your version has 7 less words doesn't mean it is any better. In fact, J-B's version was more coherent and grammatically correct than yours

I would write "seven fewer words.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 11:04 am
It was not my intention to start a quarrel with Asherman...if that's even possible (Asherman is not the type to stoop to that level). I respect Asherman, and I thought he gave you some good information. But that doesn't stop me from pointing out things when I see them.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 09:06 am
Re: Chief supervisor
J-B wrote:

Thanks
J-B

To the extent that a school has anyone who supervises the students' social conduct, it would be the dean of students (at the college level). At the high school level, this job is often performed by the vice-principal. But the terminology is not uniform throughout the American educational system.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 10:42 am
Guidance Counsellors have a number of responsibilities which include dealing one-on-one with kids who are in trouble or at risk of getting into trouble.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 08:08 am
"Guidance Counsellors"

So...I suppose I would be caught up in some kind of trouble if I chose to use this term... :wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 08:12 am
In some parts of Canada, the person responsible for discipline/morals etc is called the Vice-Principal for Students.

A guidance counsellor here is primarily involved in vocational and academic planning.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 11:25 am
J-B--

Quote:
"Guidance Counsellors"

So...I suppose I would be caught up in some kind of trouble if I chose to use this term...

Not at all. Guidance counsellors help kids plan for college and for careers in addition to helping unhappy kids with their troubles.
0 Replies