The truth is oozing out like a slime trail

cjhsa

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 11:29 am
Your superhero, Bill, said yesterday on Larry King Live that "all presidents make mistakes", in reference to the content of Bush's speech.

He certainly is well qualified to make that statement.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 11:30 am
Why do they never learn?

Why -- after all the many things that have happened to people manning the oval office -- are they not smart enough to simply fess up at the first opportunity?

Why go through all this bullshit?

Why?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 11:48 am
cjhsa
cjhsa, you are leaping to an unfounded super hero conclusion. I didn't vote for Bill Clinton twice.

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 08:44 am
Insiders suggest Condoleezza Rice could leave
Friday, July 25, 2003 - US News and World Report
Washington Whispers
Insiders suggest Condoleezza Rice could leave

As White House officials try to control the latest fallout over President Bush's flawed suggestion in the State of the Union address that Iraq was buying nuclear bomb materials, there's growing talk by insiders that National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice may take the blame and resign. For most insiders, it's inconceivable that Rice, touted as a future secretary of state, California governor, and even vice president, would go, but the latest revelations that her shop and deputy Stephen Hadley mishandled CIA warnings have put the NSC in the bull's eye of controversy.

While it's unclear how serious the talk is inside the administration about the future of Rice or Hadley with the NSC, a few top aides are already suggesting replacements for Rice. They include former Bush administration National Security Adviser Brent Scowcroft, NASA chief and former Navy Secretary Sean O'Keefe, and Paul Bremer, the U.S. administrator in Iraq.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 08:49 am
All of them were responsible for the damage already done. Replacement of GWBush's underlings will not correct that. The whole administration has to be replaced for the healing to begin. c.i.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 07:07 pm
In the future they'll talk about Hitler, Stalin and Bush in the same breath, and the stars and stripes will become the most despised symbol of tyranny in the history of mankind-if it's not already.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 07:14 pm
I must say, no mistakes Bill Clinton made ever made can match those of bush. Bill Clinton had an ego (a prerequisite of the job). Bush is blinded by his ego, sees absolutely no point in paying any attention to anything but his own interests and those of friends whose interests coincide with his...

It's finally become a bit of a treat to watch bush. He's always been AWFUL. Now that everyone is getting a taste of the real bush, it's suddenly fun for the rest of us who knew all along...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 07:40 pm
Is the king's downfall a sure thing?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 08:14 pm
Oh sure, CI -- eventually. Very possibly not in satisfactorily timely fashion. We aren't dealing here with an earnest, hardworking group simply determined to win the next election in order to continue pursuing their worthy policies. We're dealing with what we know now are a bunch of unscrupulous pols who have almost certainly engaged in criminal behavior. They're not going to let go easily.

Do you think we have a chance of unseating him in 2004?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 08:41 pm
That's what's bothering me the most; I'm not so sure. c.i.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 08:58 pm
Could we unseat him in a fair election? Yes.

Will the election be fair? Most unlikely.

That's my take on the situation.
0 Replies

eugeneIIIm

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 09:08 pm
Quote:
Bush is blinded by his ego, sees absolutely no point in paying any attention to anything but his own interests and those of friends whose interests coincide with his...

I don't know about you, but it seems pretty clear to me that Bush is interested in the security and welfare of the American people. If you don't believe in those things, then I guess you're right about him.

Quote:
In the future they'll talk about Hitler, Stalin and Bush in the same breath, and the stars and stripes will become the most despised symbol of tyranny in the history of mankind-if it's not already.

It's just sad to see that people like you are actually thinking this way about the President of the United States. Can you give me an example of Bush killing millions of his own people? This image that you liberals have of Republicans is really offensive.

I don't know why you would think that America is in a state of tyranny. That's just an insult to our founding fathers and our country, which was created in order to check the power of its leaders. I would like you to give me a few examples of Bush being "tyrannical." The only thing I've seen him do so far is fight to protect us. It's really awful that society today breeds you anti-american extremist wackos.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 09:18 pm
[quote]"tyrannical" Of pertaining to, or characteristic of a tyrant; despotic; arbitrary; oppressive. Definition from the American Heritage Dictionary.[/quote]
1, Tyrant: a preemptive strike on a country that was not a threat to the American People.
2. Despot: A autocratic ruler. He does not listen to the people or the world leaders.
3. Arbitrary: Decided to wage war against Iraq by using information from another government's intelligence, and ignored our own.
4. Oppresive: Patriot I.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 09:28 pm
0 Replies

eugeneIIIm

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 09:44 pm
Quote:
1, Tyrant: a preemptive strike on a country that was not a threat to the American People.

It has been shown over and over again that Hussein and his weapons program were a threat to us and other countries. He could have easily sold the weapons to terrorists.

Quote:
2. Despot: A autocratic ruler. He does not listen to the people or the world leaders.

The majority of Americans supported actions against Iraq before the war. The opinions of other world leaders is irrelevant when it comes to our national security. Not being superpowers, other countries feel secure, and they don't want to get dragged into a war situation unnecessarily, which I suppose is understandable. However, as a superpower, we cannot afford to just sit around and wait for other countries to act.

Quote:
3. Arbitrary: Decided to wage war against Iraq by using information from another government's intelligence, and ignored our own.

Bush made one reference to another country's intelligence in one speech! The idea that we went to war on this one piece of information is, in the words of Ari Fleischer, a bunch of bull. Bush did not ignore US intelligence. We have known for more than a decade that Saddam possessed WMD programs. We have always known that his regime treated its people horrifically.

Quote:
4. Oppresive: Patriot I.

The Patriot Act is far from oppressive. It has been in practice for more than a year, and I don't think anyone has complained about it in practice. The Patriot Act is a logical advancement to the power of our intelligence agencies, and if most people really didn't like it, then the GOP wouldn't control Congress today.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 09:56 pm
Quote:
It has been shown over and over again that Hussein and his weapons program were a threat to us and other countries. He could have easily sold the weapons to terrorists.

Please show us how his weapons program were a threat to the American People while the UN Inspectors were looking for them? The "other countries" is a straw man.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 09:59 pm
Quote:
The majority of Americans supported actions against Iraq before the war

This is a general statement. Please be more specific. How did the "majority of American's" support actions against Iraq before the war?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 10:03 pm
Quote:
Bush made one reference to another country's intelligence in one speech!

The 16 words GWBush used in reference to British intelligence information was to support his justification for war. Is this new US policy? To use another countries' intelligence to justify war?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 10:04 pm
Quote:
The Patriot Act is far from oppressive.

Yeah, sure, tell that to the Arab Americans.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 10:12 pm
1. The tyrant part didn't come into play until the WMD question started becoming a problem. Bush had many stated reasons for making war.

2. Most polls - including those of CNN, Zogby, CBS - showed the percentages were quite a bit higher for not going to war. And the perentages never got all that favorable, either.

3. Decided to wage war by presenting evidence that there WERE papers showing intent to buy yellow cake from Niger (proven forged almost immediately - and advised against mention by the CIA), by talking about 600 odd KNOWN sites of WMD, and by referring to British intelligence. This same inteligence was laid out in both the NY Times, other papers, and numerous British papers, side by side with documents vs source. In one famous instance (although ignored by the WH, but acknowledged by the Brits), one of the sources turned out to be a thesis for a graduate student, based on internet research of 12 years prior. An American student. So how British was this source?

4. Patriot II is almost doomed by lack of funding, because even the House thought it was so intrusive. And the TIA, beloved by John Poindexter, is out, because they refused to fund it. And plenty have complained about the Patriot I. There are many legal cases in court, and some of it is now proving an embarrassment, because, apparently, many of the things Ashcroft stuck in there are questionable, and now he has to defend them.

And do you really want to get into the republicans and Congress today? That's a path fraught with pitfalls. Just remember those crocodile tears on the floor, which it looked like nobody, including the republicans, bought.
0 Replies