The Normans- Nothing special about them...

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 01:04 pm
The TOS, which you signed, ironaxe, can be refound with a click at the bottom of the page, btw.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 01:12 pm
He is a regular old charm school drop-out, ain't he, Walter?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 01:33 pm
A mere eight posts and he's feeling the power of posting already.

Ironaxe, get to know the basic rules of bahvior on this site before you start foaming at the mouth and insulting other site-members who question your premises. Setanta said the thread was silly; he didn't call you names. It's a poor way to make friends and -- respecially -- influence people.
0 Replies

ironaxe

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 03:31 pm
So, any factually-based replies worth considering, or are the board bores going to show off to their clique? Thought not...

No historical points answered then... Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 03:46 pm
There were no historical points worth answering--your thread is basically a whine about how your favorite ax murderers don't get the historical credit for the excellence of their efficiency at slaughter which you think they deserve.

If it hadn't been William the Bastard, it would have been someone else. If it hadn't been the Normans, it would have been the Breton-French, or the Poitevins, or the Angevins or the Picards--it would have been someone else, somewhen else.

About the only thing interesting about all of this is why you've got such a hard-on about Harold of Wessex and his thegns and the Saxons in general. And even that, as the most interesting point, is a real yawner.
0 Replies

ironaxe

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 12:51 pm
Nobody still got anything relevant or intelligent in response about the non-special Normans...only American 'celt' wannabe-types with 'hard-ons' about an Ireland/Scotland they never visited...or those whining on about Vietnam? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 12:59 pm
You sound like a real sicko. As it happens, not only am i descended exclusively form Kelts, i have visited Ireland on more than one occassion, and lived there briefly, many years ago.

You are hilarious, though. No one here has ever said the Normans were special, as has already been pointed out to you. You came looking for a fight, and now you're whining because you didn't get one. What a sad case.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 06:07 pm
I forgot this, could you remind me set? When did the term 'vandal' become a negative one? As far as I can recall it was romewhere around the 1800s when, as the story was told te me, a man screamed something like 'bloody vandals' after some youg kids who supposedly had done him wrong.

I'm not usre about the date, but you seem to be the highest authority on historical trivia here, setanta.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 06:21 pm
After the explosion of the powder mill of Grenelle in Paris in 1794, the term "vandalism" was first used by an abbot.
0 Replies