He's going through a divorce and we're dating.....

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 04:19 am
Ok, let me give you guys a bit of a back story before I get into what's going on. My boyfriend is currently going through a divorce (yes he's not divorced yet, you read that right) and seems to be just a bit too close to his soon-to-be ex-wife. Now don't get me wrong, I know marriage is a sacred thing. And I've never had the slightest suspicion of him until just recently. Before his (I'll call her an ex just to save space) ex and he got seperated she cheated on him numerous times (two that he knows of) he decided to get out of the marriage. Out of two of those affairs she got pregnant twice by two different men. He takes care of the kids like they're his own which I find really great of him. Here's the problem that I'm having..... They're a bit too close for their own good, I mean he works on her car, he answers phone calls from her at midnight on how to get a frog out of the apartment, gives her money OTHER than child support.... see where this is going? And just yesterday he calls me right after I got off work to let me know he was going over to his ex's place to help her clean her apartment... then for some reason lets me know that the kids won't be there. So he was alone for I don't know how long with his ex. I never got any more phone calls or anything since I talked to him yesterday. I'm curious if he's wanting her back or if he did something with her and if so why won't he just tell me and get it over with? He tells me every day that he loves me but I just find that hard to believe now.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,286 • Replies: 22
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 04:25 am
Walk, far and fast, away from this relationship.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 04:59 am
I would be very careful before getting too involved with this guy.
Maybe he's just one of them 'too-good-for-their-own-good' guys and it's all very innocent, but even then you have to be aware, that she will NEVER be out of his life.
Especially with the children, that he accepts as his own.

Does not sound normal to me, though!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 06:09 am
The name of this game is AMBIVALENCE. This guy's brain says that he wants a divorce, but his heart tells him the opposite.

Walk away.......fast. No good will come from this for you.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 06:26 am
Rule of thumb: A man or woman coming out of a bad marriage and divorce is not ready for a permanent relationship for at least two years.

Right now, this guy isn't single--he's married. He'll be officially married until the papers are signed. Once the papers are signed, he may still be emotionally married.

Right now you represent freedom and his lost youth and a world full of potential. He's not seeing you as a person. He's too caught up in the changes in his own circumstances.

Are you a woman or a therapist? If you're playing therapist and disinterested Guide to the Single's World, good. If you don't want your feelings hurt make this guy a very part-time friend.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 07:29 am
usawoman, yup...really, he has to make a choice: move on, or keep pining over his ex. you, or her. but there's no point making an ultimatum for him. there's really no point trying at all because he's in it too deep. he's probably not going to just abandon those kids, and completely shut out his wife...so the only sane option for you left is to walk away.
0 Replies

guardianangel

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 09:58 pm
YOU are dating a MARRIED man. What do you expect? He is married to her, not you. Marriage is not only a legal state of being, it is a habit, a safe place, even when things are going wrong.

You may be ready for a relationship, but he is not. You can't or should not force it. Let him go and make his decision. Once he is divorced, if he really does divorce, and you want to be with him, that will be the time to pursue a relationship...after some time has elapsed for healing and distancing from his soon to be ex-wife.

I hope you do not get hurt in this venture any more than you have already.
0 Replies

Freedomelf

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 09:26 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Rule of thumb: A man or woman coming out of a bad marriage and divorce is not ready for a permanent relationship for at least two years.

Right now, this guy isn't single--he's married. He'll be officially married until the papers are signed. Once the papers are signed, he may still be emotionally married.

Right now you represent freedom and his lost youth and a world full of potential. He's not seeing you as a person. He's too caught up in the changes in his own circumstances.

Are you a woman or a therapist? If you're playing therapist and disinterested Guide to the Single's World, good. If you don't want your feelings hurt make this guy a very part-time friend.

Absolutely true.....I hope you listen to this. I speak from experience as the "wife" in a situation like this.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 11:35 pm
In the mean time, I'm wondering if I said hello, welcome to a2k, freedomelf. I'm not sure we agree on anything (haven't reviewed posts), but no matter, pros and cons are welcome here.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 06:43 am
actually, it's welcome back to elf. Sorry things have been so ugly for you lately.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 07:44 am
Everything that needs to be said has already been said.

Never get involved with someone going through a divorce. They are still married and will be, emotionally, for quite some time.

But since you're already in it, cut your losses and get out of it now. There's no triumph here. Only pain and heartbreak. It's clear, from what you've written, that he simply hasn't let go of his wife yet.

Helping her to clean the apartment? Please. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Freedomelf

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 09:02 am
Thanks, osso. JP, I remember your kindness and thank you too. I guess I have more time on my hands now without a husband again, hehe, so I thought I would post. Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 01:02 pm
Freedomelf--

Welcome home. We care.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 01:04 pm
how's the sex? that's what matters....
0 Replies

Freedomelf

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 08:47 pm
thanks noddy. I appreciate the ww from you and jb.

At this point in my relationship, my husband is, once again, "confused." He called me up crying on Tuesday night. After a gut wrenching session of "I think I love Brenda, but I think I love you too and I will die if I don't hear your voice", I just couldn't take it anymore.....I went through all of this last year and it nearly killed me. I won't go through it again.

I wrote him an email the next day and told him that I will no longer read his emails or phone calls. If there comes a time when he wants to come home, on his hands and knees, begging me to take him back, I might listen to him....or I might not, I don't know at this point. I do know that until then, I don't want to hear a single word from him. He tried to call me today. I didn't take the call. I have to get out of this.

The only good thing he is doing is he is still depositing his check automatically, in our checking account and he is actually living very frugally. So I do appreciate that. I don't know how long it will last, but I know that legally, I don't have a chance of getting more than he is giving me now, so he is being wonderful on that score. When it changes, if brenda twists him into abandoning us, (I don't think she can, but then again I didn't think she could twist him into coming back either) I will pursue my rights for the kids' sake.

I do still love him and I believe I always will....that's the hard part. A marriage of decades is hard to give up all because of a bimbo that would not stop pestering him even after he made his choice. She really has made my life miserable, because I know for an absolute fact that he would have never contacted her again if she hadn't done that. I wonder how she could live with that.....knowing that the man she loves would have never cared about her enough to go back to her if she hadn't made him feel so guilty about her pain, and sent him emails saying that she was still crying over him. I guess she just doesn't care about that as long as she gets what she wants.
0 Replies

Freedomelf

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 08:48 pm
by the way, when I said "bimbo" about Brenda I did not mean to denigrate the OP in this thread at all. I have no idea if the situation is even remotely similar, and I hope I didn't insult the original poster.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 09:05 pm
Careful not to hijack anothers' thread, elf. Perhaps we should move back to your original?

Mid-Life Crisis
(altho', to be honest, you kinda hijacked that thread too.)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 09:14 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
how's the sex? that's what matters....

Agreed. And so what if he's married? Even if he's still having sex with his wife, it's still fine as long as you're getting that good stanky monkey-lovin'.

Really, you can trust me and Bi-Polar Bear on this. We're guys. We'd never steer you wrong.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 09:27 pm
Freedomelf wrote:

I have issues with this part and I call bullshit on it. I'll tell you why below.

A marriage of decades is hard to give up all because of a bimbo that would not stop pestering him even after he made his choice. She really has made my life miserable, because I know for an absolute fact that he would have never contacted her again if she hadn't done that. I wonder how she could live with that.....knowing that the man she loves would have never cared about her enough to go back to her if she hadn't made him feel so guilty about her pain, and sent him emails saying that she was still crying over him. I guess she just doesn't care about that as long as she gets what she wants.

The "bimbo" is not the issue: Your husband is the issue. Puh-lease. She 'made him feel so guilty'??? Puh-lease. You "know for an absolute fact" ... puh-lease. You don't know dick.

I am sorry this is happening to you but puh-lease stop blaming the wrong person. Your relationship is about you and your husband. Other people enter it only at the INVITATION of one of you. You don't know her from Adam. You don't know what she's doing, or why she's doing it. You only know what your husband is telling you. The plain and simple fact is that your husband can't keep away from her.

So start blaming the right person! Sorry to be harsh but wake the heck up.

And I am not an advocate of people getting involved with married people.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 09:28 pm
Mame wrote:
You don't know dick.

Such language! I'm offended.
0 Replies