Que va

J-B

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 01:50 am
It's an omnipresent expression in Hemingway's book For Whom The Bell Tolls. What does mean? I guess it means "not at all" or something.

Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,235 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 02:08 am
bascially, in the words of Kurt Vonnegut, "so it goes".
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 02:57 am
Laughing
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 07:13 am
The story is based in Spain in 1940 so my guess is that it's an archaic form of "What's going on?"...que pasa...or now it's "que paso" and "como anda?"

hey JB...good to see you again...thought you might have been caught by the thought police...ha ha
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 12:13 pm
He was sleepy and the old man put his arms across his shoulders and said, "I am sorry."

"Qué va," the boy said. "It is what a man must do."

Here it means something like "No worries", or "that's the way things go", "that's how it goes", or as has been said, "So it goes".
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 01:23 pm
excuse moi...my faux pas...
hey! I'm a poet

I didn't even crack the book, so yeah contrex is right...
maybe the whole phrase would be Que va asi.. 'so it goes', like Dys said.

I'll stick to my Mandarin translations from now on Embarrassed
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 07:21 am
panzade wrote:
The story is based in Spain in 1940 so my guess is that it's an archaic form of "What's going on?"...que pasa...or now it's "que paso" and "como anda?"

hey JB...good to see you again...thought you might have been caught by the thought police...ha ha

I was not, I was not. Haha. It's far from Big Brother's country.

I suddenly began to miss you today. I read your not-so-gloomy self-portrait and opened up your post record. Then I found your trace in this thread, one which had already fallen into obscurity in my memory.

Glad to see you again mate. Although I might not have urgent questions concerning words right now, I am frequently cruising and casting off other questions. And certainly I am still a regular member here. :wink:

Hehe, good luck

JB
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 03:08 pm
I find myself remembering the days when you were fresh on this site...struggking to learn about western culture and the English language. You've become very proficient in both...I wish you could visit America...I would love to meet you
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 03:13 pm
I agree, Panz, J-B has done remarkably well.
0 Replies