Live your dreams in Latin

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 02:47 am
Could you please help with the translation of "Live your dreams" into Latin? Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,210 • Replies: 5
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 04:08 am
Forgive me for sounding peevish, but I feel there is far too much of this going on. Translation of clichés and commonplace idiomatic phrases into Latin, often for tattoos or mottos, as if the mere fact of them being in Latin is going somehow to make them less hackneyed.

"Live your dreams" is a peculiarly 20th/21st century idea, and a particularly North American one as well, so I feel that translating it into Latin, a language first spoken by Europeans over 2000 years ago, can serve no useful purpose.

Next, somebody will ask for a Latin translation of "Everything goes better with Coke", or "Have A Nice day". (Maybe they already have)

OK rant over.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 01:58 pm
Re: Live your dreams in Latin
Stellabird wrote:
Could you please help with the translation of "Live your dreams" into Latin? Thanks

Somnia tua vive
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 01:58 pm
contrex wrote:
Forgive me for sounding peevish, but I feel there is far too much of this going on. Translation of clichés and commonplace idiomatic phrases into Latin, often for tattoos or mottos, as if the mere fact of them being in Latin is going somehow to make them less hackneyed.

"Live your dreams" is a peculiarly 20th/21st century idea, and a particularly North American one as well, so I feel that translating it into Latin, a language first spoken by Europeans over 2000 years ago, can serve no useful purpose.

Next, somebody will ask for a Latin translation of "Everything goes better with Coke", or "Have A Nice day". (Maybe they already have)

OK rant over.

Have a nice day, contrex.
0 Replies

Stellabird

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 01:54 am
Thanks George!
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 07:12 am
You're welcome, Stellabird.
0 Replies