One way to beat the anti smoking police

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 08:58 pm
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=070427152112.g7zo6o51&show_article=1&catnum=9

Quote:
An English pub is trying to beat the imminent ban on smoking in public places by asking for consulate status from the Peruvian embassy in London, the landlady said Friday.
Debbie Trevithick, from the Peruvian Arms in Penzance, Cornwall, south-west England, said the pub has close ties with the South American country and she has written to Peru's ambassador in London to ask for consulate status.

Lighting up in public places is due to be outlawed in England on July 1. Scotland and Wales have already done so and smokers will have to stub out their cigarettes in Northern Ireland on April 30.

"About 95 percent of our customers smoke and it would be wonderful to be the only pub in England where you could have a cigarette," Trevithick said.

"Obviously it is a bit of fun so we are not holding out too much hope. But you never know what might happen."

The pub was built by an 18th century Cornish engineer for his daughter with money from silver mines in Peru. Trevithick said the pub has maintained close links with the Peruvian embassy in London ever since.

She pledged that staff would learn Spanish, celebrate Peru's national holiday and may even get a pet llama if they secure consulate status.

Perks of that could include free parking, diplomatic immunity -- and being allowed to smoke on the premises.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 788 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 09:51 pm
At least in some places in the US, it seems all they have to do is become a private club.

Thinking, Casa Phlegma.
Club Coughcaphony
Tobacco Terrazzo
Pipe's Place

Will have to work up some more...
0 Replies

timberbranch

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 03:38 pm
There is a similar smoking ban here in Austin, but there is loophole if the ventilation system is deemed efficient enough, you may puff away. Any club with a patio can use the "I'm outside" rule, and there's plenty of those.

Yeah, Smokers. Wheeze a dyin' breed. :wink:
0 Replies

McMavis

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 02:27 am
I love smoking Very Happy Maybe we should all move to North Carolina?
0 Replies

paintedtearz

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 07:18 pm
Some my family live in Southern Ireland and as they already have the smoking ban there,some of the Landlords of the pubs have got an alternative.One particular pub have placed a caravan in the car park.Smokers go outside to the caravan to have their smoke and then go back into the pub again.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 12:59 am
Consulates and their staff don't have (full) diplomatic immunity.
A pub could never be part of a consular premis.

But it's a nice try to get in the media.

Worked, as to be seen.

See Vienna Convention on Consular Relations versus Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 01:39 am
Could the pub declare independence from England? Those smoking bans sure impede a smoker's right to pursue happiness.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 01:43 am
I'm just back from 4 weeks in Italy.

I have to say that the smoking ban in restaurants made the trip so much more pleasant.

C'mon, France - you're pencilled in for next trip. Stop the smoking in restaurants!! (and those bloody dogs!)

Hold your dominions, non-smokers!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 08:25 am
smokers better not vacation in canada - you'll be looked upon like an outcast .
at hospitals and similar institutions you can't smoke within about 30 feet of the place !
and NO SMOKING in prisons either - or you'll go to jail Laughing
particularly in larger cities you'll see hardy souls standing outside large office buildings in freezing temperatures taking a quick puff before rushing inside again - i ALMOST feel sorry for them Rolling Eyes
hbg
0 Replies