Diet after having gallbladder out

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 03:08 pm
I just found out that my neighbor had her gallbladder out yesterday. I'd like to bake something and bring it over, but I have no idea what would be appropriate. (I don't want to bring something that is verboten as she recovers.)

I know some people here have dealt with this. Any suggestions?

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,258 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 03:21 pm
None of those I know do or had to keep a special diet after their gallbladder operation - besides perhaps for the first couple of days after the actual operation.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 03:58 pm
*shrugs* My sister had hers removed 3 or 4 years ago and has no special dietary restrictions. She eats pretty much anything/everything.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 05:14 pm
I'll third that opinion. My mother had hers out and is not on any special diet.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 05:20 pm
I have a friend without a gall bladder. She complains after indulging in rich, fatty food--but she does indulge.

Can you do something light with Florida fruit? Or something savory?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 06:01 pm
My friend E is having surgery to have her gall bladder out 2 days after we get back from New York. She's got a special diet now, and has been told she'll be seeing a nutritionist afterward.

Fruits and veggies with balsamic vinegar, and yogourt, seem to be the main things I see her eating these days.

I think the after-surgery diet and lifestyle can be quite variable by patient.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 06:20 pm
Thinking, a spicy chile relleno casserole is probably not the right thing just post surgery...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gallstones/DS00165/DSECTION=8

Something savory, as noddy suggested, sounds good. Thinking, just out of oven rolled biscuits made with cold butter (Joy of Cooking, or other recipes) with thyme, savory, or whatever herb thrown in the mix, in a basket with a cloth...

(simple ingredients, easy to do, you just need a rolling pin, or, I suppose, a straight sided wine bottle, can even use a glass to cut the "rounds") Beats all other biscuits, to me.
0 Replies