Need help interpreting a proofreading symbol

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 01:35 pm
The symbol is a lower-case 'p' with a line above it. A doctor showed it to me and asked me to explain, so I doubt it's a medical symbol.

Anyone know? No guesses, please, just the facts. Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,385 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 04:43 pm
D'Art, I checked a variety of sources--old and new. Nothing. Sorry. I'm restraining myself from speculating, as you requested.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 04:46 pm
Thanks for trying, Roberta. I also tried everything I could, including extensive Googling, to no avail. Makes me wonder why anyone would use such an obscure symbol. My guess is that it stands for either before (pre) or after (post).

But those are just guesses!
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 09:45 pm
D'art - just asked my daughter, who is a translator, and, as such, deals with medical, chemical - all kinds of stuff in proofreading marks. She doesn't know this one, but suggests it could be a variation of the paragraph mark (I know that's got the wavy line). She also says that they use a delete and close-up mark that is a small p with a line both over and under it, and sometimes one or the other lines is left out. (Not by US, of course, we do good editing.)
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 01:02 pm
I got the answer, finally, from an RN friend. It means "after". Not sure why the surgeon didn't know...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 02:01 pm
D'Art, Thanks for letting us know. I've worked for a pharmaceutical company and never saw this symbol. But if I see it now, I'll know what it means.
0 Replies