Some more grammar...

J-B

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 03:47 am
Today I did my third SAT self test. The combined result, as my second one, was 2190 - 2400. (I am quite confused about the "equivocation" of this range...) The dreadful thing is, after reviewing all the wrong answers I come to realize that I may not have more space to progress. That means for the next 4 or 5 days and 4 or 5 more self tests Iwill lose quite a lot of motivation. And my days may suddenly become tedious. Yes, effort without merit.

OK I do have some problems in the Writing Section (which deals primarily with grammar) Let's have a look.

1. After marching for four hours in temperatures exceeding ninety degrees, the band members were as sooked as if marching through a rainstorm.

If now there are two choices to replace that underlined portion,
A. if they had marched
B. if from marching
What will you choose?

2. The question of whether certain chemical fertilizers are a curse or are they a blessing is still being debated.

What's the mistake of the second underlined portion?

Any help is appreciated

JB, thankful yet prepare to battle boredom
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,885 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Letty

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 04:20 am
Hey, J-B. The answer to your first question should be A.

As for the second one, it should read " a curse or a blessing." Incidentally, that should be "soaked".
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 04:28 am
Happy to see you again Letty and thanks for the answer.

so, "soak" nearly means "wordy"?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 04:37 am
No, honey. "soaked" means fluid filled. The implication of your sentence is that the band, marching in the heat, became soaked with perspiration.

I am amazed that you do as well as you do with the English language, J.B.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 04:44 am
J-B--

Glad to see you've reached the point of fighting boredom. When will you take the test?

Quote:
2. The question of whether certain chemical fertilizers are a curse or are they a blessing is still being debated.

The "question" is whether the fertilizers are a curse or a blessing. You don't want extra words in there--extra words derail trains of thought.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 05:01 am
Yes, I know extra words are nasty. Just haven't spotted it quickly. Twisted Evil

Noddy,

Yet the pleasant thing is I encounter boredom only in a test. I will find new challenges.

The test is due on May 5th, in Hongkong. I will catch a flight on May 3rd and will be accomodated at the home of a friend of Clary. (Maybe I can start a travel thread on that? hehe~~)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 11:59 am
J-B--

Hong Kong? Well, the best of British luck to you--and American good fortune as well.

You've earned success, but luck is always welcome.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 06:04 am
A new question! (I did relatively poorly in my fourth test)

Quote:
No one is sorrier than I that you missed the awards ceremony.

Is "I" correctly used here? I thought "than" was a preposition and there should be no nominal cases after a preposition...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 07:24 am
J-B, instead of trying to explain the rules of grammar, let me just say this.

The sentence could read this way.

No one is sorrier than I am, that you missed the awards ceremony.

Incidentally, no one is sorrier than I am, that you did poorly on your fourth test. Razz

Knowing the parts of speech in the English language is secondary to getting the feel of the English sentence and its structure.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 07:34 am
I don't think there's anything wrong with that last (fourth) sentence. The word "am" is unnecessary because the verb is already spoken - IS...

He ate more than I (did/ate).

He wanted it more than I (wanted it/did).
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 07:43 am
Letty wrote:
J-B, instead of trying to explain the rules of grammar, let me just say this.

The sentence could read this way.

No one is sorrier than I am, that you missed the awards ceremony.

Incidentally, no one is sorrier than I am, that you did poorly on your fourth test. Razz

Knowing the parts of speech in the English language is secondary to getting the feel of the English sentence and its structure.

I think I have worked it out myself. But, as you said, I still generally lack some "feeling"...
0 Replies