Watch now as the slime machine goes after Tenet

blatham

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 04:49 am
This new book by Tenet will provide a classic survey of how the right wing slime machine works in modern US politics and media. Please feel free to detail instances as you see them arise.

Watch for what and who these folks try to protect or try to push attention away from.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/27/washington/27intel.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 865 • Replies: 19
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 05:53 am
It proves Tenant is a hypocrite.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 07:22 am
No it don't.

(replied in the same simplicity as the statement)
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 07:46 am
He was a tout for GW /Cheneyand now he blames him and Cheney for his lack of balls.

You simplistic thought pattern does not allow you to recognize this.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 08:18 am
woiyo wrote:
He was a tout for GW /Cheneyand now he blames him and Cheney for his lack of balls.

Who in or around this administration presently or previously would you say, using your complex thought patterns, possesses balls?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 08:47 am
Blatham
History will show that anyone connected to the Bush-Cheney criminal gang will eventually end up wallowing in the slime of their existence.

BBB
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 08:59 am
The only way to remove the slime from this adminstration would be to cut off it's head. I repeat once again. If a fish stinks look to the head.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 09:33 am
woiyo wrote:

Have you read the book to read his side of it, it may be more complicated than you think. I always thought the "slam dunk" statement was mischaracterized by the administration and the media. I'll find out when I order the book.

In other words, from the way I read Woodwards book, I always thought Tenet meant that it was a slam dunk the public "joe public" would be buy it, not that the evidence was a slam dunk.

You are right that he should have stood up and denied the bush administrations (cheney mostly) strong arming pressure to come up with WMD evidence but he didn't. However, that still does not negate Tenet's main point about all the pressure the intelligence agency was under to come up with the answers the bush administration wanted. Which is one of the many things all us anti war critics have been trying to get at all along.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 10:00 am
This is what we have come to.

I have the book ordered from my Amazon account because I hope it will provide some interesting insights, but, if the NYTimes reporters have it right, this is about a controversy over a sound bite and how the biter thinks he's been mis-quoted.

Still we go on.

Mr. Tenet is described as both wondering "What am I doing here? Why me?" at some point after 9-11 and providing "a vigorous defense of of the C.I.A.'s program to hold captured Qaeda members in secret overseas jails and to question them with harsh techniques, which he does not explicitly describe."

Yes, we ask. What were you doing?

Joe(Can we have our country back now? )Nation
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 11:32 am
You're on the track joe. This account is going to do a lot more excusing than holding people to account, at least so it appears from the NY Times piece.

Yet, even given that, we'll see the machine get its groove on and decry Tenet's character, the accuracy of his statements, and continue the tact of portraying him as whining victim and (see above) hypocrite. etc One could write Hannity's or Bill Kristol's upcoming statements with ease.

Positive notions of pre-emptive war, and of militarism in general, and of the Iraq project and of the idea that these modern extremist Republicans/conservatives have their ideology aligned with reality and with god (and the personalities who represent these things) are who and what will be defended at all costs.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 02:41 pm
blatham wrote:
One could write Hannity's or Bill Kristol's upcoming statements with ease.

yup, one could. but one would find that rove and cheney had already done it.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 03:41 pm
Bushie created the OSP for the sole purpose of undermining the CIA, agents in the field and underminig the USA herself. OSP were the cherry pickers who provided the lies that gave the world an unjust, unneeded war as former CIC Jimmy Carter calls it. Tenet is only telling us what we knew long ago. "Bush never undertook a "serious discussion" about the option of containing Iraq without resorting to an attack." Let's face it with Hans Blix on the ground dismantling Saddam's missiles and with open access to all of Iraq Bushie had no grounds for a rush to war. I cant think of a more cowardly action than attacking a weak nation we were in the process of disarming. Bushie warned of mushroom clouds over American cities and El Baradei reported that Bushie's evidence was fake, fabricated and forged and that Saddam had no nuclear capabilities at all. Shock & Awe was a criminal action. Bill Moyers pointed out how very complicit was the mainstream corporate media in Bushie's war crime. In the end history will ensure that Bushie's goose is cooked simply because neither Hans Blix or ElBaradei will be erased from history. They were the bottom line of intelligence. It also turned out that Scott Ritter was no pedophile but a damn good loyal US Marine.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 04:11 pm
It's a fearsome thing to take on the CIA. "Waxman Asks Tenet to Testify About Prewar Intel"
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/042707S.shtml
House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Henry A. Waxman (D-Calififornia) has asked former CIA Director George Tenet to testify before his committee next month about claims that Iraq sought to buy uranium in Africa.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 11:22 am
woiyo wrote:
It proves Tenant is a hypocrite.

Well, not really but it does point out his moral bankruptcy, you see. And as usual it, should be pointed out incessantly to unbathed Right Wing Yahoos like yourself, principles only matter when they are inconvenient to hold... like those Dixie Chicks, whom I hold in higher regard than I do George "Mr. CIA" Tenet.

But perhaps like Saul of Tarsus Tenet fell off his stumbling horse and saw the Light. Unfortunately is also likely his horse stumbled upon all those dead Iraqi bodies killed since 2003.

btw: I hear that George Tenet is the gay lover of George Soros.

Pass it on, 'cause certainly max drudge would.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 02:45 pm
kuvasz wrote:
btw: I hear that George Tenet is the gay lover of George Soros.

Pass it on, 'cause certainly max drudge would.

Laughing Laughing yeah! and surely drudge would be right in the middle of things.. eh-hem.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 09:03 am
And here's Bill Kristol, on cue... http://weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/013/593daqmw.asp
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 11:26 am

and with richard "i could never be wrong" perle to boot. certainly we'll now get to the truth.

these guys are so far beyond their expiration dates..
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 04:59 pm
Tenet deserves sliming, at the least. He and Powell were aware of the deception that led us into this morass of a war, and they were complicit in it, and they bear part of the responsibility. They should be slimed at the very least for every one of the 3300+ Americans dead and 50,000+ maimed, and hundreds of thousands of Iraqis dead and maimed, and countless billions of US treasure wasted, and senseless endless war stretching into the horizon.

That sonofabitch took a medal, resigned, set up a multi-million dollar book deal, THEN wants to bitch and holler about how HE is a victim in all this. I'd like to punch him right in the f*ckin mouth.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 06:40 am
I wonder if and when Powell will get around to publishing his book. I understand that Powell could not have done anything to stop the madman in the White House. However, what always puzzled me is why he did not quit and became a fellow conspirator.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 08:08 pm
About Tenets book,here is an interesting review...

http://weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/013/596texms.asp

I quote from the review...

Quote:
GEORGE TENET'S JUST released book, At the Center of the Storm, has created quite a stir. Over the past few days, a myriad of news accounts have referenced various snippets of the former director of Central Intelligence's self-serving collection of remembrances. But here is something you probably have not heard or read about Tenet's book: it confirms that there was a relationship between Saddam's Iraq and al Qaeda. And, according to Tenet, "there was more than enough evidence to give us real concern" about it too.

Tenet devotes an entire chapter to the question of Iraq's ties to al Qaeda (Chapter 18, "No Authority, Direction, or Control"). Much of the chapter is used to vilify Douglas Feith, the former undersecretary of defense, and Vice President Cheney. Tenet claims, repeatedly, that Feith, Cheney, and others in the Bush administration exaggerated the intelligence on Saddam's ties to al Qaeda. The former DCI says they "pushed the data farther than it deserved" and "sought to create a connection between Iraq and the 9/11 attacks that would have made WMD, the United Nations, and the international community absolutely irrelevant." (In this vein, Tenet also erroneously claimed to have met Richard Perle on September 12, 2001. According to Tenet, Perle said "Iraq has to pay a price for what happened yesterday [September 11]." However, Perle was in France and, therefore, could not have met with Tenet. Perle denies the conversation took place at all.)

Quote:
But

it is worth noting what he does not claim: that the Bush administration cooked up the connection between Saddam's Iraq and al Qaeda in its entirety. In fact, Tenet concedes that there was evidence of a worrisome relationship. For example, Tenet explains that in late 2002 and early 2003:

There was more than enough evidence to give us real concern about Iraq and al-Qa'ida; there was plenty of smoke, maybe even some fire: Ansar al-Islam [note: Tenet refers to Ansar al-Islam by its initials "AI" in several places]; Zarqawi; Kurmal; the arrests in Europe; the murder of American USAID officer Lawrence Foley, in Amman, at the hands of Zarqawi's associates; and the Egyptian Islamic Jihad operatives in Baghdad.
On Ansar al-Islam, Zarqawi, and Kurmal, Tenet elaborates further:

The intelligence told us that senior al-Qa'ida leaders and the Iraqis had discussed safe haven in Iraq. Most of the public discussion thus far has focused on Zarqawi's arrival in Baghdad under an assumed name in May of 2002, allegedly to receive medical treatment. Zarqawi, whom we termed a "senior associate and collaborator" of al-Qa'ida at the time, supervised camps in northern Iraq run by Ansar al-Islam (AI).
We believed that up to two hundred al-Qa'ida fighters began to relocate there in camps after the Afghan campaign began in the fall of 2001. The camps enhanced Zarqawi's reach beyond the Middle East. One of the camps run by AI, known as Kurmal, engaged in production and training in the use of low-level poisons such as cyanide. We had intelligence telling us that Zarqawi's men had tested these poisons on animals and, in at least one case, on one of their own associates. They laughed about how well it worked. Our efforts to track activities emanating from Kurmal resulted in the arrest of nearly one hundred Zarqawi operatives in Western Europe planning to use poisons in operations.

Read the rest of the review,its quite interesting.
0 Replies