Check Your Prescription!

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 11:18 am
When you pick up your prescription at the pharmacy, you must be sure to check that it's your medication, that you are receiving from the clerk. Check the outside of the paper bag and then check the type written label on the vial. Is your name correct? If the drug name correct? Is the dosage correct?

When you get home, open the vial. Do the tablets look like the diagram/picture on the insert you've received with your med?

Lastly, check the physician's name on the insert. Is this your physician?

An error that's creaping up in pharmacies is the insertion of the wrong MD into the patient's profile. Some clerks are putting in only the first initial of the prescribing MD. If there are numerous MD's with the same last name, you could easily have the wrong MD's name typed on your pharmacy record TOGETHER with the wrong phone number for the MD.

If a drug question should arise for the pharmacist, he/she might never ever to able to contact your physician, should the above information on your pharmacy record be incorrect.

Errors in pharmacy practice tend to be replicated and moreover, variations on the principal error are introduced as each Rx is filled by the patient.

WARNING:

Check...check...check all medications you buy and you use. Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,158 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 11:23 am
New Haven- Good post! I think that people would be horrified Shocked if they knew how many errors are made in pharmacies, MDs offices, and hospitals. Part of a job of being a competent consumer of medical service, is doing a bit of detective work!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 11:24 am
Medical Errors
One mistake could KILL you!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 11:53 am
It nearly did. I had a bone marrow transplant. It went great. Then I spiked a fever because of a staph infection in my Hickman catheter. (Never had a problem with infection when my husband did the cleaning)

It happened on a weekend, and some #@*&^ resident gave me an antibiotic to which I was allergic. I developed Stevens-Johnson syndrome, which is NO FUN. I nearly died from the cure! Mad
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 05:21 pm
Phoenix,
Wow!
You have really had TROUBLE.
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 05:32 pm
I was going to have an operation, at the best hospital in the county.
My daughter, an R.N. at this same hospital, told me to bring my own regular anti-seizure drugs with me, b/c the staff will probably get it mixed-up.
Once before, I was an inpatient at another hospital, and staff there gave me 3x the meds I should have received.Although I was completely aphasic, I wouldn't take these meds.II finally got the right meds.
You can be sure I always check my meds!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 06:41 pm
The Lable is Wrong?
If the label is wrong on your med, don't take any medication. It's probably wrong also. Sad
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 06:43 pm
My mom is 93. Every weekend I go to her house, and set out her medications for a week in a pill box. After I am done, I always recheck, to see if I have gotten everything right. Once in awhile, I make a mistake, which I correct.

Now, I love her, and hers is the only meds that I am doing. Imagine what happens in a hospital where the nurses are setting out pills for many strangers!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 06:46 pm
View in Pharmacy

Now you probably have a good idea of what goes on in a retail pharmacy, where 500+ Rxs are filled/12 hours.

The phones never stop ringing and the techs are usually busy worrying about everything under the sun, except their pharmacy work.

The pharmacist is tired from standing on his/her feet for 12 hours. Usually no lunch and rarely, able to get to the bathroom.

Twisted Evil
0 Replies