Can someone please help me paraphrase this?

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 07:19 pm
One way to ensure support from healthcare providers is for pharmaceutical companies to focus on increased social responsibility toward the content of their Direct-to-Consumer Advertising. This will require cooperation from all stakeholders, particularly between healthcare providers as learned intermediaries and the pharmaceutical industry, as well as its acceptance by consumers- the target of these advertisements.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 806 • Replies: 8
No top replies

happycat

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 07:38 pm
Pharmaceutical companies must realize that their current mode of Direct to Consumer advertising is causing people to "self-diagnose," which in turn, puts the heathcare provider in a difficult position. Today's consumers are quickly aware of new drugs on the market, but they must also realize that their healthcare provider is the only one knowledgeable enough to recommend what medication is right for their particular condition or illness.
0 Replies

greeniiz111

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 08:06 pm
Thank you
Thank you so much for your help. I was having so much trouble trying to think of something. I greatly appreciate it.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 08:15 pm
Your welcome!
That's what I got out of the original statement (with which, I might add, I completely agree.)
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 09:22 pm
Isn't a "paraphrase" shorter, by definition?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 11:58 pm
snood wrote:
Isn't a "paraphrase" shorter, by definition?

Parallel (Parra) phrase does not necessarily mean shorter in my opinion but it is possibly the accepted definition.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 04:04 am
Well....snood, if you can do a better job of paraphrasing the original statement, then go right ahead.
I've always understood the word paraphrase to mean "re-stated in other words," and it seemed that greeniiz only needed help in putting it in her own words.
I offered her a suggestion.

Now, if she'd have said "help me make a long story short...."
:wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 06:11 am
I agree with happycat. While a paraphrase is often shorter than a long, jargon-filled sentence, she had to add missing information which was implied but not stated in the original.

Paraphrases of poetry are usually longer than the verse they are based on. Poetry uses condensed language.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 08:58 am
"One way to ensure support from healthcare providers is for pharmaceutical companies to focus on increased social responsibility toward the content of their Direct-to-Consumer Advertising. This will require cooperation from all stakeholders, particularly between healthcare providers as learned intermediaries and the pharmaceutical industry, as well as its acceptance by consumers- the target of these advertisements."

By pharmaceutical companies becoming more socially responsible in their direct-to-consumer advertising, they would ensure health care provider support. This would require cooperation by Health care providers (as intermediaries), the pharmaceutical companies, and acceptance by consumers.
0 Replies