Is Anti-Americansim just Racial Envy?

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 10:20 am
In Forbes OnLine, Paul Johnson wrote:
Anti-Americanism is the prevailing disease of intellectuals today. Like other diseases, it doesn't have to be logical or rational. But, like other diseases, it has a syndrome--a concurrent set of underlying symptoms that are also causes.

Read the Forbes Article

On the mark, or off the wall ... whaddaya think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,241 • Replies: 11
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 11:12 am
Very interesting article. Thanks for pointing it out. I do believe that there is a hint of truth to be found there.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 02:08 pm
That is the most adequate explanation of the hatred toward the USA I have ever read. Unfortunately, such a mental disease affects part of the intellectuals holding the U.S. citizenship as well...
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 04:43 pm
Quite a bit of truth in the article.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 04:51 pm
"European Intellectual" is kind of an oxymoron isn't it? *ducks for cover* lol

But umm.. I'm not really even sure what he's jibbering about. I'm sure there are some Europeans that fit his description but I don't think I'd say that it fits ant sort of majority. *shrugs*
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 05:02 pm
I found quite a bit of my daydreaming had been stolen and used in that article. :wink:

I have heard many so-called intellectuals say that certain people should not be allowed to vote-- When this was said about women and blacks, it was irresponsible and backward. Somehow, the libs I speak of don't equate their statements with the elitism perpetrated on minorities, which they marched around about not long ago. Both types are equally heinous.

The intellectuals in question want to show us the way, because we are obviously not enlightened enough to trip upon the great secrets they have found. Or--translation--if you don't agree with them, you are wrong and stupid.

The only drawback I see with the article--is if we are content with nothing more than the explanation of jealousy/envy--we get too complacent, and self-congratulatory. Envy has always been a major player in US unpopularity. But, there are other factors, which we shouldn't close our eyes to. I think a great country should always self-evaluate for mistakes, attitudes, room for improvement.

That being said--we get so much UNDUE criticism from all corners--it makes it less likely that we feel we need to self-evaluate.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 05:21 pm
Sofia
Based on the actions of our present administration is the criticism undue? My way or the highway, wanted dead or alive,bring them on, Iraq has WMD's or maybe not and etc.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 05:25 pm
No, au. All criticism isn't undue. SOME is, IMO. Certainly, questions and resulting criticisms re: the war should be expected.

I am talking about the ridiculous, the weird, the baseless, the contrived...
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 05:52 pm
Sofia
Could it be jealousy?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 05:57 pm
Catchy title, a few truths, a few generalizations.

Truths:
Some European intellectuals are full of prejudices against the US. They think Americans can't chew gum and think at the same time. They think similar idiocies about other non-European countries.

While there are many differences between European and American societies in which I prefer the former, I am very confortable with the fact that Americans are plebeans, without hardly any patrician pretense. Europeans play hard that pretense: so mannerly and so full of history (family!!, town!!!, country!!!!, continent!!!!), they can't stand a President who puts his feet on the presidential table. Perhaps he's got manure in his soles.

Modern democracy is plebean, to their dismay.

Generalizations and other:
I find that democratic pedigree is distincltly European, in the patrician sense I dislike so much. "How old is your democracy: 20? 60? 200?" instead of "How sound is your democracy?"
Maybe the British are Lords of Democracy, the Italians and Germans are only Sirs, and the Slovenians are populace of democracy.
Discounting France as a democracy may do well with the recent anti-French feelings in the US, and with the secular anti-French feelings in some Britons, but it doesn't hold. Should we remind the author about 1789?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 07:27 pm
Sofia
Could it be jealousy?
-----
Yes. They are jealous of us. Our cool form of government, success...and so on. Cool

Could I be jealous of European or American intellectuals, or Europe in particular?

No. But, I do have a healthy appreciation for intellect--though you and I may disagree with what is valuable intellectualism. A person of multisyllabic words may treat us to involved references to many wordy, lofty books they've read on a subject. They may write with grammatical fireworks, clever allusions and create a work of epic proportions, which may enthrall and dazzle. And, after the literary show, you may think--Good, God, what a waste of time--all that pontificating, and he/she was just wrong. Or, off-track. Or, biased. Or, misled. Or, you could see things in a new and wonderful way... and thank your lucky stars for Roget's Thesaurus!

Intellectuals are useful, and in many cases, worthy of respect and consideration. Just like everybody else. Sometimes, the best ideas are direct, uncomplicated and to the point.

About Europe in general: I have a great appreciation for the history and beauty of many parts of Europe. I don't feel the US is superior, because I don't think on those terms. I think we all bring something good to the global table-- And, I am satisfied with what my country brings, on the whole.

Jealousy sort of denotes to me a feeling that I don't want someone else to have what they have, mainly because I am desperate to have it myself. I am satisfied with my level of understanding, but very much like to benefit from others' increased knowledge. And, I could not be dragged from this country. I love it.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 11:13 am
Sofia wrote:
The intellectuals in question want to show us the way, because we are obviously not enlightened enough to trip upon the great secrets they have found. Or--translation--if you don't agree with them, you are wrong and stupid.

Sofia - You must read Sowell's "The Vision of the Anointed: Self-Congratulation As a Basis for Social Policy". It's brilliantly written, and not only itemizes how they think, but how it is wrong, and how badly things tend to go as a result of policies based on their anointed vision.
0 Replies