maporsche

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 06:35 am
Re: Fred Thompson on concealed carry and VT disaster
gungasnake wrote:

Good article.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 05:35 am
If we're lucky the free market might resolve the problem. At least if it were me shopping for a college to attend, I'd definitely have to cross VT off my list at this point along with any other school which advertised itself as a "gun free zone".
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 06:45 am
gungasnake wrote:
If we're lucky the free market might resolve the problem. At least if it were me shopping for a college to attend, I'd definitely have to cross VT off my list at this point along with any other school which advertised itself as a "gun free zone".

Gotta love your unwavering commitment to the 'Free Market'. I don't think there will be any change, but that's me.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 08:36 am
Re: Fred Thompson on concealed carry and VT disaster
Fred Thompson wrote:

Urban areas almost always have higher crime rates than suburban and rural areas. In 2005, Richmond, VA, was 38 on the list of most violent American cities. Norfolk was 115. Newport News was 113. Portsmouth was 82. Roanoke was 73. In contrast, New York, NY was 139, San Francisco was 108, Los Angeles was 101 (source (.pdf)). So for citizens in urbanized areas in Virginia, it is simply untrue to say that they are more safe than citizens in other cities with strict gun control laws.

Fred Thompson wrote:
The statistics are clear. Communities that recognize and grant Second Amendment rights to responsible adults have a significantly lower incidence of violent crime than those that do not.

That is categorically false. Furthermore, even if there were a correlation between concealed carry laws and lower incidences of violent crime, correlation does not equal causation.

Fred Thompson wrote:
More to the point, incarcerated criminals tell criminologists that they consider local gun laws when they decide what sort of crime they will commit, and where they will do so.

I find that difficult to believe.

Fred Thompson wrote:

Really? Name three.

Fred Thompson wrote:
Normal people tackled "shoe bomber" Richard Reid as he was trying to blow up an airliner. It was a truck driver who found the D.C. snipers.

And they did it without using any firearms.
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 08:15 am
Fred Thompson is the perfect canidate for President. If only the Republicans returned to thier conservative roots....

His points on 2nd amendment issues are of course right on and as an ardent supporter of RKBA I am behind him and his position 100%

But there is a deeper darker issue here. What the hell are we teaching our kids when 1 man with a .22 and a 9mm (both relativley weak and anemic rounds) can walk through and kill 32 people unchallenged. Have we as a peoples lost our value of self preservation and have neutered the "fight" aspect of "fight or flight"?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 10:36 am
What you see here is another failed leftist theory.

The basic idea was something like

Quote:

"Hey, you know, all those hicks and rubes who passed that concealed carry law really need to be shown what a bunch of neanderthal a$$holes they are, so we're going to set up our school as a "gun-free zone(TM)" and live in sunshine and happiness while they live in darkness until the difference becomes too obvious for anybody to deny and the whole world beats its swords into plowshares and everybody starts making love instead of war...."

or something like that... Didn't work out very well.
0 Replies