Is it grammatical?

J-B

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 06:41 am
"But if my dad had that one card, he won't ever know it."

The above-mentioned is a sentence choice found in my SAT prep book. After specifically pointing out the "tense error" in the original sentence, The explanation designated this "won't ever" as the right answer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,446 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 06:43 am
"won't ever" is wrong. It should be "wouldn't ever."
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 06:53 am
That is what I am thinking of... thank you^^
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 07:29 am
Are you sure, Roberta? What if the dad is dead? Then the sentence would work.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 09:27 am
Glad you got the answer, J-B. Welcome back.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 05:54 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Are you sure, Roberta? What if the dad is dead? Then the sentence would work.

That's probably the case.

Yet, the original wrong sentence runs as thus
"But if my dad had that one card, he won't know it."

Is there a difference between "won't" and "won't ever". Is "won't" incompatible with the assumption that "dad is dead"?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 05:57 am
Shame on you, Gus. There's a time and place for silly jokes.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 10:42 am
Roberta wrote:

I don't believe that "won't ever" is wrong. Prove it!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 11:53 am
stuh505 wrote:
Roberta wrote:

The first phrase has an "if", so it's conditional. So you need to use "would" if that condition is met. So "wouldn't" is correct here.
0 Replies

username

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 11:58 am
I can't see it being "wouldn't". Assuming you're talking about card games, once the hands are folded and returned to the deck, if you didn't see the card, you're never going to know what it was, "it's an ongoing state of non-knowledge. "wouldn't' is a past tense form. "won't" is an ongoing tense form, so would seem to be more appropriate, cause your dad didn't know in the past, doesn't know now, and won't know in the future either.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 12:17 pm
I agree about the "if" being important.

If my dad had the card, he wouldn't ever know.

My dad had the card, but he won't ever know.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 03:24 pm
Well that's true. So we need to know more about the first sentence. Could you, J-B, quote the sentence before and the sentence following that one, to make the context clearer.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 04:13 pm
username wrote:
I can't see it being "wouldn't". Assuming you're talking about card games, once the hands are folded and returned to the deck, if you didn't see the card, you're never going to know what it was, "it's an ongoing state of non-knowledge. "wouldn't' is a past tense form. "won't" is an ongoing tense form, so would seem to be more appropriate, cause your dad didn't know in the past, doesn't know now, and won't know in the future either.

I agree with the conditional IF and WOULD and disagree that "wouldn't" is necessarily a past tense. "I wouldn't believe you if you told me you were 90 years old." That's not past tense. I think Soz has it correctly worded for both examples.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 05:52 pm
McTag wrote:
stuh505 wrote:
Roberta wrote:

The first phrase has an "if", so it's conditional. So you need to use "would" if that condition is met. So "wouldn't" is correct here.

So according to y'all, the following sentence is invalid:

"If you take my books, I won't go to school."
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 06:43 pm
No, we're not saying you can't use "if" only with conditionals, but you do use them with conditionals... and upon further reflection, isn't "would" a future conditional of "will"?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 08:04 pm
Mame wrote:
No, we're not saying you can't use "if" only with conditionals, but you do use them with conditionals... and upon further reflection, isn't "would" a future conditional of "will"?

That is not consistent with what McTag just said, and I don't see your point
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 11:17 pm
McTag wrote:
Well that's true. So we need to know more about the first sentence. Could you, J-B, quote the sentence before and the sentence following that one, to make the context clearer.

Sorry, I got a cold yesterday.

Quote:

The sentence is numbered as 10. The whole passage is riddled with mistakes and if you bother to do a little quiz you click here

Quote:

What I choose as the answer is "(C) card, how could he realize it? ". I don't think "could" couldn't be used in conditional tense.

Quote:
5. The correct answer is D.
The main problem is tense. The first half of the sentence sets up a conditional sequence, but the verb is simple past tense: if my dad had and won't know it don't fit together correctly. Of the answers, only A and D solve this tense problem. But A introduces a new problem by creating a mismatched pronoun. The plural they cannot act as a pronoun for the singular my dad. That means choice D must be the right answer.

Seems it implies that "won't ever" is compatible with the general atmosphere of conditional tense...
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 01:02 am
I never knew learning English was this complicated.

But, hooray:

J-B's crazy textbook wrote:

The main problem is tense. The first half of the sentence sets up a conditional sequence, but the verb is simple past tense: if my dad had and won't know it don't fit together correctly

which is what I said, more or less.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 04:18 am
It shouldn't be, yet I don't want to be casual about everything in my life~~
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 08:03 am
McTag wrote:
I never knew learning English was this complicated.

But, hooray:

J-B's crazy textbook wrote:

The main problem is tense. The first half of the sentence sets up a conditional sequence, but the verb is simple past tense: if my dad had and won't know it don't fit together correctly

which is what I said, more or less.

No, this is the exact opposite of what you said, it says that "won't" is correct like I was saying, and you said "won't" is incorrect because of tense.
0 Replies