Cell phones in the work place

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 03:43 pm
Your personal phone should never ring at work. We tell our employees if a member of their family has an emergency they should call them at their work number. Emergency calls are forwarded to them immediately.

Most of their kids now text their parents :

Gng to Bo's aft sch. luv J

That also cuts down on the eight minutes of Mom/Dad reviewing with the kiddo the rules that they reviewed yesterday while customers wait.

The asute, two thumbed parent can reply:

OK

or

No. gohome. homework now

and still answer the customer's question about Gorilla Glue.

Joe(Can't hear you!)Nation
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 04:26 pm
Suppose because of some dire emergency you had to bring a child or a puppy to the office. You'd lean over backwards to see that your personal encumbrances were not a public inconvenience.

Cell phones don't need to be potty-trained or house-broken, but some cell phone owners do.

Some people are much more sensitive to distracting noises than other people.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 05:18 pm
It's starting to sound like it depends on the kind of workplace. I don't work in a customer facing capacity and everyone at work here in cubicle land has a cell phone. Some people keep them on silent and some don't. Personally, I'm more distracted by the sudden and inexplicable "hello" (is she talking to me? in the restroom?) than I am someone's phone ringing. But then, I'm not that sensitive to noise. And I guess if I was I'd keep headphones handy.

I can definitely see how excessive ringing would be a problem, though. And I think that would annoy me. I also get JPB's point that someone who is already annoyed with another person would be that much MORE annoyed by every little infraction.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 11:00 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Your personal phone should never ring at work. We tell our employees if a member of their family has an emergency they should call them at their work number. Emergency calls are forwarded to them immediately.

Most of their kids now text their parents :

Gng to Bo's aft sch. luv J

That also cuts down on the eight minutes of Mom/Dad reviewing with the kiddo the rules that they reviewed yesterday while customers wait.

The asute, two thumbed parent can reply:

OK

or

No. gohome. homework now

and still answer the customer's question about Gorilla Glue.

Joe(Can't hear you!)Nation

My children are too young for cell phones/text messaging so that is of no use. Also, since I am not always at my desk, it could be impossible to find me if I didn't have a cell phone.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 08:06 am
What kind of store puts a no cell phone sign up? that sounds absurd.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 08:46 am
A book store, for one. I've been in at least one that has signs asking that you please take your calls outside.
0 Replies