Cell phones in the work place

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 12:48 pm
I have a coworker who gets visibly annoyed if someone's cell phone rings and that person is not there to answer it. What makes this annoying? Is it the ring? Nobody gets annoyed if your desk phone rings and you're not there to answer it, right? Is it just bad manners to have your cell phone ring out loud at work?

Help me out -- I've always been clueless about this stuff. I thought it was enough to take loud conversations outside and keep your ringer volume relatively low and to not take your phone to meetings.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,049 • Replies: 25
No top replies

JPB

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 12:56 pm
Some people have really obnoxious ringtones on their cell phones. Are these work-provided cell phones or personal ones? If the later, then it's possible that this particular coworker is anal about people using work time to conduct personal convos <shrughs>
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 12:58 pm
I was thinking it had more to do with the ring tone, so maybe you're right. This particular coworker is a tad on the anal side anyway.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 01:36 pm
Cell phone use in the office?

For personal stuff?

A definite no-go here.

Not a firing offence like it is at some offices around here, but definitely bad corporate manners.

If it rings - at all - you'd better be there to dive on it and turn it off.

Fast.

~~~~~~

A couple of people were charging their batteries here. They got "called in".
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 01:39 pm
Da-amn... Shocked

(at eBeth, I mean)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 01:48 pm
They can wear fishnet hose and high heels in the office - but no personal cell phone use PLEASE.

~~~~~~

There's a noticeable difference between Canada and the U.S. (or the parts of both that I've experienced) about the social acceptability of cell phone use. Canada has very high per capita cell phone coverage - but Canadians are very conservative about how they're used.

When I visited l'k in Boston mmmmm 4 years ago (?), I couldn't figure out why stores had "no cell phones inside please" signs. The signs still aren't needed here. Canadians can be VERY courteous.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 02:05 pm
I see those signs all the time in stores and other public places, and I totally get that. But everyone here has a cell phone for personal calls -- preferable, I guess to using the company phone lines for personal business. Until recently, many of us did not have phones on our desks so the only way to reach us was through our cell phones. That means for business too.

I'm just wondering why a ringing cell phone is more annoying than a ringing desk phone. Any idea?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 02:11 pm
It may be the ring tone and/or volume. Some cell phones are set to get louder the more times it rings - in case you can't hear the lower setting. We have one person here who has it set with an annoying ring tone and it is loud.

Aside from that, I don't have issue - like you said what is the difference between that and your office phone. And to me, it is better to get personal phone calls on your cell phone, it doesn't tie up the work line (unless of course you have several work lines). What is the difference between making/receiving a personal call from work phone or cell phone?

I have my cell phone for emergency purposes - especially for my children when they are at school - I know if that phone rings, it could be an emergency. And my daughter did once have an accident on the playground that required me to bring her to the doctors.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 02:12 pm
The polite thing is to make sure the volume is low or on vibrate - problem solved.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 02:23 pm
Linkat wrote:
I have my cell phone for emergency purposes - especially for my children when they are at school - I know if that phone rings, it could be an emergency. And my daughter did once have an accident on the playground that required me to bring her to the doctors.

This is the reason I don't put my phone on silent when I'm at work. I have done that before and missed at least one true emergency. Luckily, my husband found a way to handle it. I keep my phone on vibrate then ring. It vibrates for a period, then rings at a low volume. Others here have the same kind of thing or just keep it on all the time, but nobody here is obnoxious about. At least, not to me. It doesn't bother me when other people's phones ring.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 02:28 pm
I thought good phone etiquette was to have your cell phone on you at all times so that if it did ring (while you are at work) that you can either pick-up or switch it off right away. I think it is rude and annoying for a person to leave their cell-phone in their bag, coat, on their desk and not be around when the thing rings and rings. A lot of these phones have the stupidest (and loudest) ring-tones. I think that is just so unprofessional in a work environment.

The office phone is for office work and the cell-phone is for private stuff. When at work, either shut off your cell-phone (if you get A LOT of calls all day long) or switch it to vibrate and put it in your pocket.

At a client meeting the other day a colleague had a cell-phone which he did not switch off and it kept ringing. The client eventually asked him to leave the meeting and switch the phone off before coming back but I honestly couldn't understand why he (the colleague) didn't nip it in the bud immediately. This is the lack of courtesy and consideration that annoys me about people these days. I thought maybe I was being a fuss-pot since everyone here seems to do this. I switch my phone to vibrate when I am at work. When I am in a meeting I turn it off completely. And it's not just cell-phones. I watched a top-level manager (in another meeting with another client) engrossed in his blackberry while the client was speaking directly to him about an issue. After a few minutes of conversation the client got angry and slammed his hand on the table to get some attention. The fact that we are all becoming technologically focused all-the-time does affect our behavior and manners.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 02:30 pm
Heeven wrote:
I thought good phone etiquette was to have your cell phone on you at all times so that if it did ring (while you are at work) that you can either pick-up or switch it off right away. I think it is rude and annoying for a person to leave their cell-phone in their bag, coat, on their desk and not be around when the thing rings and rings. A lot of these phones have the stupidest (and loudest) ring-tones. I think that is just so unprofessional in a work environment.

The office phone is for office work and the cell-phone is for private stuff. When at work, either shut off your cell-phone (if you get A LOT of calls all day long) or switch it to vibrate and put it in your pocket.

At a client meeting the other day a colleague had a cell-phone which he did not switch off and it kept ringing. The client eventually asked him to leave the meeting and switch the phone off before coming back but I honestly couldn't understand why he (the colleague) didn't nip it in the bud immediately. This is the lack of courtesy and consideration that annoys me about people these days. I thought maybe I was being a fuss-pot since everyone here seems to do this. I switch my phone to vibrate when I am at work. When I am in a meeting I turn it off completely. And it's not just cell-phones. I watched a top-level manager (in another meeting with another client) engrossed in his blackberry while the client was speaking directly to him about an issue. After a few minutes of conversation the client got angry and slammed his hand on the table to get some attention. The fact that we are all becoming technologically focused all-the-time does affect our behavior and manners.

Unbelieveable - if you are with clients, you shut the phone off and give 100% attention to them (that is if you want to keep the client).

I don't bring the cell phone to the bathroom.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 02:33 pm
That makes sense. I don't take my phone to meetings at all because I think it's disruptive when it rings in that setting -- even if you shut it off right away. I don't get many calls at work so I often completely forget about my phone.

Is it annoying when someone's phone rings and they're not there to answer it because of the ring tone, or because the phone is presumed to be for personal use?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 02:46 pm
To me it is more annoying because it is too long and/or an annoying ring tone - that is why I have mine set to the default ring tone - I figure that is the least annoying.

And yes, I leave the ringer on as well so I won't miss the call. I rarely get calls on my cell as well, so when I do I usually panic. Just the other day my boss came over to talk to me. One of the rare instances my phone rang. My daughter is in camp this week due to school vacation. It wasn't a number a recognized - I apologized and explained why I needed to answer. Fortunately it was a wrong number.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 02:50 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Is it annoying when someone's phone rings and they're not there to answer it because of the ring tone, or because the phone is presumed to be for personal use?

Could be either/both, depending on who is being annoyed.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 02:58 pm
It depends....does this persons phone ring 45 times a day? Or once? I personally can't stand it when someone around me is getting 50 phone calls and keeps either answering it or stopping what we are doing to turn it off. Do the people calling have nothing better to do than call????

Is it one of those stupid ass ring tones, or a normal one?

Is it set to blast the windows out or just regular ol' volume?

I think that there are lots of variables that could be causing the trouble.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 03:15 pm
I don't mind the calls people receive in the office, I do mind most of the
ringtones at a high decible. What's wrong with a simple default ringtone?

If I am in a meeting and someone's cellphone starts "ringing" with a
melody or some other peculiar sound, I think it's highly unprofessional.
We actually had a collegue whose ringtone was the Mission Impossible
themesong Rolling Eyes

Just this morning I met with a commercial realtor to look at some office
space and when his cell phone started ringing, I didn't mind at all, it
was a regular ringtone and he immediately said to the caller, he would
call back, he's in an important meeting. Afterwards he apologized for
the interruption to me. Perfectly acceptable.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 03:16 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
I don't mind the calls people receive in the office, I do mind most of the
ringtones at a high decible. What's wrong with a simple default ringtone?

If I am in a meeting and someone's cellphone starts "ringing" with a
melody or some other peculiar sound, I think it's highly unprofessional.
We actually had a collegue whose ringtone was the Mission Impossible
themesong Rolling Eyes

Just this morning I met with a commercial realtor to look at some office
space and when his cell phone started ringing, I didn't mind at all, it
was a regular ringtone and he immediately said to the caller, he would
call back, he's in an important meeting. Afterwards he apologized for
the interruption to me. Perfectly acceptable.

It is all in how it is handled - also as long as they are not consistently being interrupted with calls.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 03:21 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
It depends....does this persons phone ring 45 times a day? Or once? I personally can't stand it when someone around me is getting 50 phone calls and keeps either answering it or stopping what we are doing to turn it off. Do the people calling have nothing better to do than call????

Yeah, when it's excessive, it definitely becomes a matter of both the ring tone and being distracted from being able to get the work done because of the chatter.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 03:42 pm
Another thought is that if there is one person in the area who habitually misses a lot of calls, and the annoyed coworker has other 'issues' with that person, then the reaction to the phone ringing might be more of a reaction toward the person.
0 Replies