Is There Life without TV?

nextone

Mon 14 Jul, 2003 10:33 pm
My TV is about fifteen years old. Still works with daily "misbehavior" when turned on, turns itself off several times and then no problem. When it goes I plan to give myself a break, and see what life without the tube will be like?

If you don't have a TV, I'd love hearing from you. What made you decide to do without a set? Have you noticed changes in your life without television?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 5,977 • Replies: 44
Topic Closed

Montana

Mon 14 Jul, 2003 11:44 pm
I don't watch much tv, so it probably wouldn't be that bad, although I have a few favorite shows that I watch. Mow, if you took my computer I'd be lost, lol!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 15 Jul, 2003 12:15 am
Same with me as Montana. (Maybe that I even watch less tv, because I especially DON'T watch shows.)
0 Replies

McTag

Tue 15 Jul, 2003 12:29 am
I can only recommend watching TV if you are in a country which gets BBC.

Wink

I have heard also, that some people watch film of men on bikes. What's that all about? Isn't one revolution of the pedals much the same as another?
0 Replies

SealPoet

Tue 15 Jul, 2003 05:03 am
TV only for DVDs and Vid's.

Haven't turned on commercial television for myself since the Patriots were in the Superbowl.

They lost.

(That makes it about six years ago for those who aren't rabid New England sports fans, such as my co-workiers...)

It's amazing how much more time there is in the day without the glass teat...
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 15 Jul, 2003 05:05 am
I have a television which i use to play console vidoe games. Hasn't been turned on for weeks. If i'm not glued to this idiot box at which i stare as i type, then i read a book.
0 Replies

nextone

Tue 15 Jul, 2003 09:50 am
Encouraging words. Had a childhood without TV. We got the first set when I was twelve. Now I keep it on for background noise, but still feel I'm watching too much. How many times can you watch "Law and Order" reruns? Shocked

Having extra hours for "doing" is appealing. Of course the less I watch, the longer my set will last. I can live with that.
0 Replies

nimh

Tue 15 Jul, 2003 10:45 am
yep. i dont have a TV, and i'm alive, ergo, there is life without TV.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 15 Jul, 2003 11:44 am
Hmmm. I bought a new tv when I moved north, even though I had been watching less and less...and less. Got a new Sony with VCR. Let's see, I have watched it possibly four times in four years. You will all be appalled but I didn't even watch the 911 events, except for the first day or two...when I was in Los Angeles and staying with a friend, who woke me up yelling. Yes, I would have watched that anywhere, but by the time I got home upstate, I didn't want to watch any more. I just read and read and read about it, and tuned in to my internet forum.

I can't afford the good cable premiums, and our local tv news is very lame compared to what I was used to, which was itself very lame. I might watch the bbc if I had it, and used to watch Bravo when I had that.

As it is, my once a years: a few years ago, the Giro d'Italia (I had medium cable at that time, and yes, it was men on bicycles...but I was watching that plus the countryside.) This year I watched the academy awards. I wonder what next year will bring...

I watch videos once in a while, but have seen most of what interests me in foreign films and am not so drawn to a lot of recent american films...not against all of them, but it is easier, more entertaining, to read or go to a2k.
Or listen to music........
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 15 Jul, 2003 11:48 am
Oh, yes, I only watch the Tour de France because of the countryside!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 15 Jul, 2003 11:53 am
I do watch the giro for the giro too, but I don't follow bicycle racing otherwise.
0 Replies

nextone

Tue 15 Jul, 2003 03:19 pm
Oooh, Men on bikes, Spandex and that yellow jersey. <runs to check ESPN> Nothing listed per NYT TV weekly. Good.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 15 Jul, 2003 06:17 pm
There is life without t.v., but not without A2K. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

nextone

Tue 15 Jul, 2003 09:27 pm
Agree, C.I. A2k is a happy addition to the daily round.
0 Replies

nextone

Wed 1 Aug, 2012 05:29 pm
ahem um er So it's nine years later, give or take a few months, and here I am back at a2k. I want you to know I've been without a TV for over two years AND YES there's life. This week I received a netbook...no more waiting for a computer at the library....and so hello
ehBeth

Sat 4 Aug, 2012 05:25 pm
@nextone,
good grief - 9 years!

we've got a t.v. but haven't had service since the neighbour's trees got too big for the satellite service and we're something like 100' past where Fibe service reaches. It's been more than a year ... still considering trying to find another type of service, but not feeling any rush.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 4 Aug, 2012 05:38 pm
@nextone,
Hello, nextone. I'm not sure how long I've been on a2k or Abuzz. Mr. Green
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 4 Aug, 2012 06:23 pm
@nextone,
Nextone, very glad to see you back.

Life does go on..
nextone

Sat 4 Aug, 2012 06:59 pm
@ossobuco,
To Eh beth, Cicerone Imposter and Ossobucco, three Abuzz friends, it's good to be back. Regarding the absence of TV, I miss sports, baseball (have listened to some Mets or Yankee games on radio), the tennis slams and ,don't snicker, golf. Am happy to be giving NBC Olympic coverage a pass. I read the NYT to follow the "Games' .
Foofie

Sat 4 Aug, 2012 07:01 pm
I try to limit the tv viewing time to about 200 calories of brain power. The radio is really my friend. So are books.

TV has the good point, in my opinion, of letting me see what the rest of society is doing. Actually, it can get a little depressing when I realize that what is considered interesting to the audience, that a sitcom was designed for, is fairly alien to me at this point in my life. Old tv shows, or documentaries are possibly worth my time, to some degree. Also the weather forecast.