Is There Life without TV?

nextone

Sun 5 Aug, 2012 10:26 am
@Foofie,
Yes it brings events to us, and yes much of what it brings is depressing. I rather read news than see or hear it with hype, spin and commercial interruptions
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 5 Aug, 2012 12:00 pm
@nextone,
I've been reading the Guardian sports section to follow a lot of tennis and some golf, and the Olympics. I'm in the US but I like their writing. (I've a golf thread, titled something like "Martians have taken over my Mind") -

http://able2know.org/topic/175616-1
nextone

Mon 6 Aug, 2012 12:13 pm
@ossobuco,
The Guardian must be ecstatic over Andy Murray's gold.
0 Replies

nextone

Mon 13 Aug, 2012 07:24 am
@Foofie,
Yep, radio,newspapers,magazines, and books, books and more books (and of late Facebook).
0 Replies

nextone

Thu 16 Aug, 2012 07:48 pm
You're right that TV gives people pleasure, company, information, and entertainment. Different Strokes, for different audiences.
0 Replies

johny1

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 04:04 pm
@Foofie,
Noway.. because I am a huge fan of TV shows & it is one of my best source of entertainment. In my free time I Watch action,. comedy & Horror TV shows. So Without TV shows my life is like hell. Mostly I Watch TV Shows Online .
nextone

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 05:01 pm
@johny1,
Hi johny 1,
Welcome to a2k. It's interesting that you watch your shows on line. I guess that means on a laptop or net book or Mac , or smartphone. Seems we're trending in opposite directions when it comes to viewing........either enormous screens in the home, or tiny screens on the go. Be fun to see what new technologies lie ahead.
0 Replies

steveharper

Sat 8 Sep, 2012 04:09 am
Without T.v., it seems that little bit of boar in our daily life because entertainment is the necessary part for every human being. It is the great source for entertainment and keep updates with all circular activities.
nextone

Sat 8 Sep, 2012 07:53 am
@steveharper,
Hi and welcome. I'm curious about what you mean by "Circular activities"....is it like "daily rounds", "same old, same old"?
0 Replies

nextone

Wed 17 Oct, 2012 11:03 am
So now it's the morning after the night before debate #2 Obama/Romney, and I have to admit that my life without TV has taken a new direction. Still don't have a TV set....but have watched the debates on line. OK, full disclosure, I have watched You Tube videos and links provided by friends, but it wasn't until my son sent me the Clint Easrwood clip from The Daily Show that I realized I could watch future debates live. Love this option.
Jamesdawn

Sat 10 Nov, 2012 02:34 am
Ya, because most of us don't like to watch tv. Even i also don't like to watch much tv.
dlowan

Sat 10 Nov, 2012 03:07 am
@nextone,
Why...it's almost like having a TV!

; )
nextone

Sun 11 Nov, 2012 10:15 pm
@dlowan,
Yep! And very best part of partial TV is parting ways with particularly obnoxious repetitions of content, and all those damn commercials. O Brave New World! Still must confess abiding love for news, etc. in print on paper.
0 Replies

nextone

Sun 11 Nov, 2012 10:18 pm
@Jamesdawn,
Welcome to a2k
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 23 Nov, 2012 06:01 pm
I use radio in much the same way. I can get a lot of art work going with tlk radio in the room. BUT, if Im Writing I have to have either baroque music or Bluegrass.
nextone

Sat 24 Nov, 2012 09:24 pm
@farmerman,
Background noise can be helpful some of the time. Depends what I'm doing. In the morning when I'm reading the NYT, I have WNYC on and can switch from reading to listening until my full attention goes to one or the other. If I'm reading a book and keeping my full attention on the page, I prefer quiet, and if quiet isn't available, I'll put on classical music as a sound screen.
0 Replies

nextone

Sat 24 Nov, 2012 09:41 pm
Your comment about not watching much TV when you were a child strikes a chord. Didn't have a TV until I was eleven or twelve and never was into children's shows. Guess I wasn't imprinted. I remember with affection, Your Show of Shows, You Bet Your Life, Ed Sullivan on Sunday nights, The Academy Awards, The Twilight Zone and baseball games.
0 Replies

Pearlylustre

Sat 24 Nov, 2012 10:20 pm
@nextone,
The tv in our living room died recently and my teenage daughter suggested we don't buy a new on - so we didn't. I still watch some programmes on the computer or on a little old analog tv I've got in my office but I tend to give more thought to what I want to watch and I tend to be doing things while I'm watching now and never just blobbing on the couch. The analog signal will be cut off soon and we probably won't replace the spare tv either.
I listen to more music now, read more, garden more...
nextone

Sun 25 Nov, 2012 08:19 pm
@Pearlylustre,
Our lives post TV share so many positive activities, and being able to have video via internet is certainly one of them. Curious as to why your daughter suggested doing without a TV. Does she access entertainment and news online? Have to admit I'm still on the couch a lot....reading, knitting, phoning, playing on A2K, or doing other things on the computer. I don't feel at all deprived, and get the sense you'd agree with that sentiment.
Pearlylustre

Mon 26 Nov, 2012 04:41 pm
@nextone,
My daughter has a few favourite programmes that she's able to watch online. I think she just thought it was unnecessary. She has a pretty rich life with school, part-time job, boyfriend, dancing etc and tv wasn't a huge part of it. She probably realised it would be the most benefit to me - and I'm happy to say I've lost weight since the tv went! I have a son as well but he doesn't watch tv at all. My husband 's English isn't perfect so it was mostly just noise to him and he was glad to see it go.