Can you help me make this right?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 01:01 am
Oh, well, me, I'd say talk straight, given that you manage to mention the good stuff.

Kicky, I have a feeling I've told you all this before. So it goes...

I had an episode, in, oh, maybe '67.

I'd gotten a great job at UCLA right out of my lab internship, starting a new lab. I worked my little ass off, many many (as my friend Bonnie would say, many many many) hours.

But, y'know, I wanted to know hematology... (whine).

After a couple of years - one lunch hour, I took my laundry across the alley from the parking lot and while waiting for the machines to stop, looked at the stacked up papers. Yeh, a job for a lab tech, at a clincial lab in Beverly Hills. I called. I interviewed.

The lab owner and I talked about the US in central america and much else and I was, y'know, obviously ok when I walked in the door with my creds and then the rest of it.

And geeez, I'd just done the laundry. This interview was in after work hours.

Hired right away..

So, the next morning I had to tell this at work. I did. Gulp.

So I put in my formal goodbye notice.

Hours passed.

Big honcho came to my lab, and we had a sincere talk. He begged me to stay, not to gloss it. I melted, decided to stay, told Bhoncho, a good man, I'd stay.

Sleepless night.

In the morning I called the BH lab and said I wouldn't take the job.

lordie...

must have been the weekend. I was driving in my (what car? it was a convertible) down little Santa Monica, listening to the radio... the Mommas and Papas, something about Do what you want to do, go where you want to go... (I may be mixing this up - was that when I decided about Larry?)

and thought, do it.
And so I worked it all out, I left the university lab and went with the clinical lab in BH, which was glad enough to have me.

Time passed. I learned no more hematology, very routine stuff. I decided to try the university again, emphasis on hematology.

My old department must have been asked if I was OK, and then, yep, the call from the big guy. One of the residents of yore was coming on as a clinician and research person... an old pal of mine, needed someone to set up a lab. Oh, yeah....

I never really did learn hematology in full, though some aspects of it in detail, as he'd been the hematologist for the far east/certain armed services in whatever years.
Had a lot of good time learning years. Glad I didn't tell all to fulk off , early on. I was never all so wonderful - I was competent and there.

I remember that job tossing set of days...

and also say, don't burn bridges.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 01:10 am
My friend Margaret, on the other hand, got her own phD.

That was sort of a cusp time. I wasn't driven, personally, to go there, and she was.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:12 am
Kicky--

You didn't tell them because you couldn't stand the idea of saying goodbye for two long weeks. You Italians are soooo sentimental.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 08:04 am
kickycan wrote:
Green Witch wrote:
I think you should let everyone know that you have decided to move on and that it was very nice working them, and that you would like to return again sometime in the future.

You could also bring in a couple of ice cream cakes to give everyone an excuse to take a break and wish you good luck.

Ice cream cakes. Yeah, that might distract them. Or pie. Pie is really good. Or pizza. Pizza is universally loved.

But I still need a good story to explain why I kept it a secret for the past two weeks. I don't want to admit to doing this weirdo secret-notice thing. It sounds like I'm a freak. I need either a real good spin on it, or just a blatant lie that sounds good. Seriously.

I'd suggest sending an email around about 15 minutes or so before cake/ice cream/pizza - whatever you decide to bring. Explain just as you are to us that you didn't want any fanfare and stuff, but you appreciate working them all so much you wanted to thank them so come on over to ABC for some free cake/ice cream whatever you plan to offer. You could also add the same explanation you did for your boss upon giving notice - you could add some small thing about what you plan to do - looking for a new free lance opportunity and leave it at that.

I think the more simple and straight forward the less likely you are to get questions and if you do just repeat what you said in the email.

As funny and entertaining as that other email I had in the other thread - I don't suggest using that.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 08:08 am
Yeah, I agree with Linkat.

I think people can sympathize with the "no fanfare" stuff.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 08:26 am
kickycan wrote:
patiodog wrote:
Tell everyone you didn't want to make a big deal of things, apologize for being a schmuck but that's just who you are, and offer to meet everyone who wants for drinks later. Maybe buy the first round. They'll buy you a lot more.

I can't do that. I'm going to a birthday party after work. Crap.

You are just an idiopathic autodifficulterizer, aren't you?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 10:00 am
IAD, huh? Is that your diagnosis?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 10:21 am
And here I was thinking I was simply an auto-conflictual polarity responder with ideopathic autodifficulterizational tendencies.

My face is flushed with embarrassment at having missed the obvious all this time.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 10:29 am
Are you prone to nocturnal mastication?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 11:15 am
Well, I told everyone, and they seemed to not really notice or care that I kept it a secret, but now one of the most ball-breaking of the group is giving me **** about it. I think he's really kind of pissed. Or he's just being a dick. I can't tell. Either way, it looks like I'm going to have to take a lot of crap today. Ugh. Why do I do these things?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 11:21 am
I should have just kept this to myself. I feel like such a MORON.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 11:29 am
ossobuco wrote:
Oh, well, me, I'd say talk straight, given that you manage to mention the good stuff.

Kicky, I have a feeling I've told you all this before. So it goes...

I had an episode, in, oh, maybe '67.

I'd gotten a great job at UCLA right out of my lab internship, starting a new lab. I worked my little ass off, many many (as my friend Bonnie would say, many many many) hours.

But, y'know, I wanted to know hematology... (whine).

After a couple of years - one lunch hour, I took my laundry across the alley from the parking lot and while waiting for the machines to stop, looked at the stacked up papers. Yeh, a job for a lab tech, at a clincial lab in Beverly Hills. I called. I interviewed.

The lab owner and I talked about the US in central america and much else and I was, y'know, obviously ok when I walked in the door with my creds and then the rest of it.

And geeez, I'd just done the laundry. This interview was in after work hours.

Hired right away..

So, the next morning I had to tell this at work. I did. Gulp.

So I put in my formal goodbye notice.

Hours passed.

Big honcho came to my lab, and we had a sincere talk. He begged me to stay, not to gloss it. I melted, decided to stay, told Bhoncho, a good man, I'd stay.

Sleepless night.

In the morning I called the BH lab and said I wouldn't take the job.

lordie...

must have been the weekend. I was driving in my (what car? it was a convertible) down little Santa Monica, listening to the radio... the Mommas and Papas, something about Do what you want to do, go where you want to go... (I may be mixing this up - was that when I decided about Larry?)

and thought, do it.
And so I worked it all out, I left the university lab and went with the clinical lab in BH, which was glad enough to have me.

Time passed. I learned no more hematology, very routine stuff. I decided to try the university again, emphasis on hematology.

My old department must have been asked if I was OK, and then, yep, the call from the big guy. One of the residents of yore was coming on as a clinician and research person... an old pal of mine, needed someone to set up a lab. Oh, yeah....

I never really did learn hematology in full, though some aspects of it in detail, as he'd been the hematologist for the far east/certain armed services in whatever years.
Had a lot of good time learning years. Glad I didn't tell all to fulk off , early on. I was never all so wonderful - I was competent and there.

I remember that job tossing set of days...

and also say, don't burn bridges.

I don't think you ever did tell me that story, Osso. And you're right, I don't want to burn bridges. But I think I just blew it here. Oh well, it's actually only one or two people who are being real pissy about it. Maybe in a few months, if I really do need to come back, it won't be so bad. Maybe. I guess I should just hope that it doesn't come to that.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 11:30 am
Did someone say pie?

I really like blueberry pie, but apple is good too.

I fantasize about winning the lottery and just not coming in to work one day. I'd change my phone numbers and just make everyone think I'd fallen off the face of the earth.

If they came to my front door I wouldn't answer, and if they drove by while I was on the front lawn I'd skitter into the house as fast as I could. If they came on my porch and knocked, I'd poke a double barrell shotgun out the window and tell them to get the hell off my land.

life would be wonderful.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 12:00 pm
kickycan wrote:
Well, I told everyone, and they seemed to not really notice or care that I kept it a secret, but now one of the most ball-breaking of the group is giving me **** about it. I think he's really kind of pissed. Or he's just being a dick. I can't tell. Either way, it looks like I'm going to have to take a lot of crap today. Ugh. Why do I do these things?

Be a complete a$$hole in return; it's not like you have to face him on Monday. Which is likely why he's doing it, too.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 12:01 pm
And rub his nose in the fact that Monday morning you'll still be sleeping it off while he has to schlepp his butt to work.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 12:01 pm
Kicky--

There are three more hours in this afternoon/day/week. You'll probably survive.

I'm guessing that those few obnoxious people are wildly jealous and trying to tear you down to build their own weak egos.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 12:08 pm
I think that Noddy's saying the proper response is:

Neener-neener-NEE-ner!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 12:13 pm
DrewDad--

Have you ever noticed that you and I bring different perspectives to any given problem?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 12:16 pm
There's a time and place for mature discourse, and then there are threads started by Kickycan.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 12:18 pm
I deserve every shovelful of scorn heaped upon me. Thank you, drewdad, and may I have another.
0 Replies