Top US Senate Democrat to Bush: Iraq war is lost

au1929

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 09:24 am
Brown wrote
Quote:
Personally I wish the Dems would grow a pair and call for outright withdrawal. I'd have a little more respect for them instead of this 2 sides of the fence crap we are treated to currently.

As much as I want to have our troops out of Iraq as soon as possible. An abrupt withdrawal would be unconscionable. Remember the tragedy in Iraq is of our doing.
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 09:26 am
ebrown_p wrote:
I probably like Hillary less than you do.

The Democrats are taking a courageous stand.

They want a orderly phased withdrawal over a reasonable amount of time with while working diplomatically with the other interests in the region.

This is what the American people are calling for, as expressed by the Democrats in Congress.

They are? a few are but most are on both sides of the fence...

And still I am curious as to your view on what would happen after we leave? What reprecussions are possible and probable?

Leaving in "rockober" would be a shame as it would embolden la terroristas and make us have to fight em over here as opposed to over there. Not to mention the Iraqi people themselves. Abandoning them like that.... The time to leave I agree is sooner than later however timetables and false goals are not the way.
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 09:28 am
au1929 wrote:
Brown wrote
Quote:
Personally I wish the Dems would grow a pair and call for outright withdrawal. I'd have a little more respect for them instead of this 2 sides of the fence crap we are treated to currently.

As much as I want to have our troops out of Iraq as soon as possible. An abrupt withdrawal would be unconscionable. Remember the tragedy in Iraq is of our doing.

Whats the diff between now and stating that we would leave in "october"?

Your right withdrawal now would be unconsionable so would an artificial timeline.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 09:32 am
reverend hellh0und wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
Well Rev, it looks like we are from different planets.

All I can say is let's watch what happens.

On my planet, the American public is about to rally behind the Democrats as the Republican popularity ratings continue to sink. Last year on my planet, the Demcratic victories were heralded by the press, bemoaned by the right and considered quite impressive by all.

On my planet, the president will use his veto power... and the Democrats will pass a short term emergency bill which will make the Republicans go on record in favor of the war every three months or so.

On my planet, conservatives will continue in a political death spiral where they will increasingly break ranks against the president and more and more will viciously attack each other.

Yes the Good Reverend is from Earth while you seem to be from the planet of hope and dreams. I kid I kid Laughing

Don't you think you are speculating a bit?

Its funny though the dems have such an opportunity and they are blowing it.... Take a stand....

BTW what is hillary's stance this week?

Shrug. The Dems are doing what they think will work. There's no point in grandstanding when lives are on the line.

The Dems can't make Bush pull the troops out, and they are afraid of accusations of cowardice from the Republicans and the media. Which is too bad, but somewhat of a liability for them.

SO they are taking the slow road. You can call it what you like, but the end result will be the same.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 09:37 am
au1929 wrote:
reverend hellh0und

When were you last in Iraq?? If you haven't been, since you are hellbent for US forces to stay their. Why not put your ass on the line and volunteer.

The Good Reverend was there in 91 painting targets, Putting the smart in da bombs. :wink:

Spent time in the Balkans too....

91 was a different war and certainly a different reason. If you hadn't noticed Bush senior was smart enough and astute enough to understand the consequence of staying and got our troops out.

If you are so hellbent for us to stay and are young enough I would suggest you put your ass where your mouth is.

As for me my war was the Korean one. As for Iraq even if young enough I would be damned if I would enlist in Bush's idiotic and unjustified war.
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 09:38 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Shrug. The Dems are doing what they think will work. There's no point in grandstanding when lives are on the line.

You mean what they think is the safest for thier political lives.

Quote:

The Dems can't make Bush pull the troops out, and they are afraid of accusations of cowardice from the Republicans and the media. Which is too bad, but somewhat of a liability for them.

The media? Please they would cheerlead them as heros if they got together and called for a withdrawal.

The timeline thing is so they can feel good about themselves without risking thier political waste ejection ports!

Quote:

SO they are taking the slow road. You can call it what you like, but the end result will be the same.

Cycloptichorn

End result? YOu mean clowns like Ried attacking troops and calling for defeat of this great nation?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 09:44 am
All I can say
You got to know when to hold them and Know when to fold them.
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 09:45 am
au1929 wrote:

91 was a different war and certainly a different reason. If you hadn't noticed Bush senior was smart enough and astute enough to understand the consequence of staying and got our troops out.

But was it? Didn't we call a cease fire in 91 and didn't Hussein violate that?

Continuation of hostilities.

Quote:

If you are so hellbent for us to stay and are young enough I would suggest you put your ass where your mouth is.

Laughing As I stated I already did. How many wars conflicts must I fight in order to believe in the current mission. Any way The Good Reverend is still on IRR and would be glad to go if they called me. The Good Reverend is always available for his country.

Quote:
As for me my war was the Korean one. As for Iraq even if young enough I would be damned if I would enlist in Bush's idiotic and unjustified war.

Aparrently you are not. Wink
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 09:53 am
Quote:

End result? YOu mean clowns like Ried attacking troops and calling for defeat of this great nation?

I hadn't seen where Reid had attacked the troops at all.

And our nation has already been defeated in our quest to quell Iraq, due to poor management and leadership - not due to a lack of spirit or ability amongst our troops. Noone is calling for defeat; we are merely pointing out the fact that it is here.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 10:05 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

He didn't call troops "Nazis" or something a while back? Wink

Quote:

And our nation has already been defeated in our quest to quell Iraq, due to poor management and leadership - not due to a lack of spirit or ability amongst our troops. Noone is calling for defeat; we are merely pointing out the fact that it is here.

Cycloptichorn

I find that funny.

So there is no way in your mind that we could possibly succeed in Iraq?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 10:09 am

If success means people killing each other in the streets with no end in sight, I'd say we're already there! Yay, us!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 10:13 am
reverend hellh0und
Success or failure is in the hands of the Iraqi's themselves. Aside from keeping our troops in Iraq for the next 50 years there is nothing we can do to influence the outcome. If even that would do it. As far as the Moslems are concerned it's the crusades all over again.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 10:14 am
Quote:

He didn't call troops "Nazis" or something a while back?

This sounds like a classic conservative propaganda smear if I have ever heard one.

Do you want to provide an exact quote where Reid refered to the troops as Nazis? Or do you just take the inferences on Fox news a little too seriously.

Showing the exact Quote where Reid said this, along with a link... would keep you from looking silly.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 10:19 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

He didn't call troops "Nazis" or something a while back? Wink

No, he didn't do that.

Quote:
Quote:

Cycloptichorn

I find that funny.

I think that if we committed 2 million troops, maybe we could succeed. Other than that, no. We cannot 'win' in Iraq without resorting to the widespread killing of civilians who are not willing to give up the terrorists and insurgents who live amongst them to an Occupying Western force.

Look at it this way. The population of Iraq is, minus the dead and fled, roughly 20 million or so. If just 5% of that population is against stability, that represents a million people who would fight against either the US or the other sectarians, who would protect them, support them, hide them, and so on. We are greatly outnumbered even with conservative estimates of the situation.

SO yes, at our current force levels, we will be unable to 'win' any sort of lasting peace in Iraq. They can, and will, simply wait us out. It isn't as if it is free for us to stay there, in terms of either blood or money...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 10:28 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Quote:

He didn't call troops "Nazis" or something a while back?

This sounds like a classic conservative propaganda smear if I have ever heard one.

Do you want to provide an exact quote where Reid refered to the troops as Nazis? Or do you just take the inferences on Fox news a little too seriously.

Showing the exact Quote where Reid said this, along with a link... would keep you from looking silly.

No no, you are right. I confused him with Durbin. My bad....

Reid just thinks the troops have failed and lost...... Wink
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 10:32 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I think that if we committed 2 million troops, maybe we could succeed. Other than that, no. We cannot 'win' in Iraq without resorting to the widespread killing of civilians who are not willing to give up the terrorists and insurgents who live amongst them to an Occupying Western force.

Not 500k?

Quote:

Look at it this way. The population of Iraq is, minus the dead and fled, roughly 20 million or so. If just 5% of that population is against stability, that represents a million people who would fight against either the US or the other sectarians, who would protect them, support them, hide them, and so on. We are greatly outnumbered even with conservative estimates of the situation.

That would be true but its nowhere near 5%. at 5% there would be a lot more dead.

Quote:

SO yes, at our current force levels, we will be unable to 'win' any sort of lasting peace in Iraq. They can, and will, simply wait us out. It isn't as if it is free for us to stay there, in terms of either blood or money...

Cycloptichorn

So instead of increasing troop levels you support abandoning the Iraqis and let them fend for themselves? What do you think will happen?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 10:38 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Not 500k?

No, not 500k. It wouldn't be enough. We need to not only majorly tamp down on sectarian and AQ violence, but also to close the borders to a greater degree. 500k wouldn't even come close to the amount we need.

I would say that we could draw these troops from other countries around the world, but thanks to Bush's ham-fisted attempts at diplomacy, we have no credit with anyone else any longer.

Quote:

Quote:

That would be true but its nowhere near 5%. at 5% there would be a lot more dead.

You have no authoritative basis to say that its' 'nowhere near 5%.' Remember that they are playing a waiting game that they are going to win. It costs them nothing to stay there and us, a ton.

This is classic military strategy, yo. Our supply lines and costs are huge, theirs are short and small. Not hard to see who has a huge advantage in that situation. Also, much of what gives us a huge advantage - our technological superiority - is not particularly useful for fighting insurgents running a guerrilla war.

Quote:

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

So instead of increasing troop levels you support abandoning the Iraqis and let them fend for themselves? What do you think will happen?
[/quote]

Yes, I do support doing exactly that.

What will happen is whatever the Iraqi people decide to make happen. This is what will happen whether or not we leave or stay.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 10:39 am
Fend for themselves hell. If they want to fight a religious civil war why should our troops be caught in the middle. It has been ongoing for about 13 hundred years.
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 11:03 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Not 500k?

No, not 500k. It wouldn't be enough. We need to not only majorly tamp down on sectarian and AQ violence, but also to close the borders to a greater degree. 500k wouldn't even come close to the amount we need.

I would say that we could draw these troops from other countries around the world, but thanks to Bush's ham-fisted attempts at diplomacy, we have no credit with anyone else any longer.

Quote:

Quote:

You have no authoritative basis to say that its' 'nowhere near 5%.' Remember that they are playing a waiting game that they are going to win. It costs them nothing to stay there and us, a ton.

This is classic military strategy, yo. Our supply lines and costs are huge, theirs are short and small. Not hard to see who has a huge advantage in that situation. Also, much of what gives us a huge advantage - our technological superiority - is not particularly useful for fighting insurgents running a guerrilla war.

Quote:

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

Yes, I do support doing exactly that.

What will happen is whatever the Iraqi people decide to make happen. This is what will happen whether or not we leave or stay.

Cycloptichorn[/quote]

Cycloptichorn,

I have to applaud you. As what seems to be a leftist you at least have a clue about strategy. I am impressed. Usually I get this without any supporting opinion. I don't agree with you as the only thing our supply line hampers us is the amount it costs. I don't see the same detriment you do here.

I also think that we do need more troops and abandoning the iraqis now would cause a negative ripple effect to our economy, our security, and the iraqi people.

Tell me are you for going into Dafur?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 11:17 am
Quote:
Cycloptichorn,

I have to applaud you. As what seems to be a leftist you at least have a clue about strategy. I am impressed. Usually I get this without any supporting opinion. I don't agree with you as the only thing our supply line hampers us is the amount it costs. I don't see the same detriment you do here.

If you choose to stay and chat at A2K for a while, you will find that there are many here - both Liberal and Conservative - whose knowledge of military matters and history dwarf mine. There is a relatively high level of discourse in these parts with a heavy emphasis on factual basis for arguments and logical reasoning.

As to the argument at hand, the supply lines are long even if we are good at handling them, and they are of course massively expensive. It takes time to get more troops, ammo, and equipment to Iraq. They have no such supply line problems thanks to their integration into the society of Iraq.

Quote:

I also think that we do need more troops and abandoning the iraqis now would cause a negative ripple effect to our economy, our security, and the iraqi people.

I disagree with all three points. It is difficult to see how spending 10 billion less a month will negatively impact our economy (which has many specific troubles and weaknesses of its' own right now unrelated to the war). Some of that money could be spent on increasing our security here at home (maybe we could work on closing the border a little, hmm). The Iraqi people will be the determiners of their own fate, as has been the case all along.

Quote:
Tell me are you for going into Dafur?

Not unilaterally. I am not a champion of unilateral invasion of other countries and have never been a fan of it in the past. I realize that there are times when war has to happen... but there are frameworks and ways of going about doing that which are better than just 'going in' without a plan. Look where that has gotten us in Iraq...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies