What's the connection: Corticosteroids and behavior?

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 09:48 am
Mo, my six year old son, has an attachment disorder. One of the hallmarks of this disorder is increased levels of cortisol - a hormone involved in the body's stress response.

He also has asthma which is occassionally treated with steroids - corticosteroids.

On the occassions that he is treated with steroids he is completely batshit crazy: raging, crying, overwhelmed, incredibly emotional.

The package insert for his latest prescription mentions (any spelling errors mine) :

Quote:
Adverse Event Reports From Other Sources

......<blahblahblah>.....psychiatric symptoms including depression, aggressive reactions, irritablility, anxiety and psychosis......

Here are my questions:

1. Are cortisol and cortiosteroids the same? If you have naturally eleveated levels of cortisol and you take cortiosteroids are you creating a monster?

2. What might be the "other sources" reporting adverse events and where do I find them?

3. What alternatives are out there for people who can't take cortiosteroids without becoming psychotic?

I have tried to research this myself. Really I have. I've waded through a lot of information without getting anywhere. I am hoping that you might know or know where to look for such information.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,809 • Replies: 50
No top replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 10:26 am
How bad is his asthma? This article indicates that mild cases could be handled without steroids. http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/330/7496/864-d

My son used to take theophyline. It was an over-the-counter medication back then. Don't know if it still is. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a681006.html
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 10:33 am
Thanks, Swimpy.

He doesn't take steroids every day. He doesn't even have to use his inhaler doohickey every day.

This is the second time he's been given a two week course of steroids over the last year and a half. Last time he was given liquid prednisone (spelling?), this thime he was given Pulmicort -- which the doctor said didn't cause as many problems.

It seems to be causing an equal amount, or maybe worse, problems to me though.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 10:37 am
Let the doctor know that he's having these reactions. His asthma sounds like it can get pretty bad. Prednisone is known to cause mood swings in some people. This is from Medline.com
Quote:
Mood Swings/Insomnia
Many patients find it difficult to sleep when taking high doses of steroids. Many also find that they are more irritable than usual. Steroids sometimes even induce depression, which improves when the drug is decreased or discontinued.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 10:39 am
Here's the link http://vasculitis.med.jhu.edu/treatments/prednisone.html#mood
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 10:50 am
He's not on prednisone this time -- it's budesonide.

I told the (new) doctor that the prednisone had made him nutty and she thought this might be better.

Everything I've come across suggests that it is safe and effective - that's why I was trying to find out about those "other sources".

These drugs are crazy making. I know he has to breathe. I know I don't want to leave him untreated and run the risk of permanant damage to his lungs. I don't suppose it's a huge deal to keep him home from school for the next couple of weeks while he is on the drugs but that can't be a permanant solution if it turns out he needs to use them more long-term.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 12:04 pm
I can't believe I'm asking this, but are there drugs they can give him to help calm him down while is on the steroids? I don't like to give kids any more meds than they need, but if corticosterioids are the only option, then he's got to take them.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 01:09 pm
I can't believe I'd consider doing such a thing but I would.

I think I'll call the phamacist -- they might have a good perspective or have heard more feedback than the doctor.

Then I'll call the doctor.

Mo's as miserable about it as I am.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 01:28 pm
Prednisone used to turn me into a whole other person. I haven't had to take it in years, but always hated it.

Sorry I don't have any alternatives for you, boomer. Just wanted to commiserate.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 01:38 pm
Thanks mac. I accept commiseration.

These are really awful drugs. Really awful.

Effective but awful.

I called the pharmacist and he said that yes, this drug can cause severe mood swing -- especially in young boys (Huh?)

So I just left a message with the doctor seeing if there might be an alternative or even if perhaps changing the dosage might help.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 01:51 pm
I can't handle the puffers - they make me twitchy-crazy. Steroids, other than topical, I can't do - make me horrible horrible.

~~~~~

Is there something the doc and pharmacist can work out together to get Mo through the current episode - and simultaneously work on figuring out a way to prevent the asthma from escalating to the point of requiring the additional horror-meds.

That's the route I've had to take - become vigilant at the early stages of anything that hinted at turning into an asthmatic episode - extra zinc when anyone near has a ticklish throat ... whatever the signals are.

You don't want Mo to become a hypochondriac in terms of watching for/reporting symptoms - but encouraging him to let you know how he's feeling physically might also help him feel like he's got some control over this (and part of the bad part of an asthma attack is the feeling of lack of control).

Heightened stress can (for some people) set off the asthma - so the cortisol/corticosteroid vortex is just evil. Poor kid.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 01:52 pm
Re: What's the connection: Corticosteroids and behavior?
boomerang wrote:

2. What might be the "other sources" reporting adverse events and where do I find them?

If Margo's around, she might be able to answer this question.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 02:45 pm
His asthma is pretty asymptomatic. We rarely have to use anything. This episode appears to have been triggered by an allergy to something during our weekend away to the high dessert.

Kindergarten is a germ factory. I invested in several bottles of Purell for the class in hopes of keeping the germs down a bit but it has been cold-virus-something ever since he started school. I try not to be one of those paranoid-freak-germophobe moms but when he gets sick it sometimes turns into these asthma events and it is just misery.

I really don't get that "stress can trigger asthma so let's treat it with with a compound that is what the body releases during periods of stress" bit.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 03:16 pm
All I can contribute is that "roid rage" comes from the notion of an Android running completely out of control.

What a miserable situation all around!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 03:17 pm
When my older son was little, crying would trigger an asthma attack. I had to teach him to not cry when he fell down and hurt himself. That was tough. He was a trooper, though.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 03:41 pm
I just got off of the phone with the doctor and we're going to try using half as much medicine. Now Mo will probably be only half nuts and half able to breathe.

Mo's doctor told me that strong emotions, like crying, can be triggers (I didn't know that before). Now he's taking something that makes him more emotional....... RRRRGGGHHH.

I was thinking on this stress thing a bit and why corticostreroids blahblahblah. In a stress response, like the proverbial fight or flight, do your airways open to allow more oxygen? And if yes, is the purpose of the steriod to stess out the body/brain so that it responds like that?

Does that make sense?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 03:52 pm
Hmmmm...damn things look very similar, but not quite the same. Clearly part of the same processes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corticosteroid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisol

Buggered if I know why one works to assist in asthma.....though they used to inject adrenaline, and still can, if you stop breathing, before they had those goddamn puffers.

The puffers send many kids, and me, orbital.

No wonder Mo goes nutso.

I do hope the half dose works.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 03:55 pm
I've just been reading along, but that one I can comment on. I had some sort of circumstantial asthma a while back and I noticed that. I couldn't put a whole sentence together without coughing, normally, but when I got REALLY mad, boom, all of a sudden I could breathe better. E.G.'s a lifelong asthmatic and explained that adrenalin helps. I don't remember details, can ask him.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 05:22 pm
I think I'd have to get a better education to understand those wiki links!

The adrenalin connection..... hmmmm..... interesting......

This is kind of starting to make a little sense.

You need more oxygen.
Trick your body into a stress response.
Get more oxygen.

The problem is that your body is now on high alert.
Mo's body is always on mediumish alert.
Trick his body and he's in overdrive.

When he's in overdrive he reverts back to some old remedies - push and pull, cling and reject, can't go to school, checking in with me every few minutes ("MOM! MOM! MOM! MOM! MOM! MOM! MOM! MOM! MOM! MOM!).

I'm still looking for those "other sources" but things are beginning to make sense.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 05:38 pm
corticosteroids are anti-inflamatories. Asthma causes the tissue of the airways to inflame resulting in the airways themselves narowing. Usually asthma is treated on two fronts, One medication causes the airways to dialate, the other to deal with the tissue inflamation. Bronchodialators are things like theophyline.
0 Replies