Office fashions No-Nos?

sakhi

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 10:31 pm
_Heatwave_ wrote:
Sozobe, I get you. There'll always be some Indian who do that kind of sighing, but there'll also be some like the ones Dagmaraka is talking about - who'll be appreciative (like I would).

Dagmaraka - Wonder if Netflix would stock old bollywood movies. If you find a movie called 'Chalti Ka Naam Gadi' - I'd start with that. Madhubala was ethereal.

Good choice, _Heatwave_...Smile

Btw, I'm all decked up today. Wearing a (very costume-y) silk saree with jewelry to office today because I have to go to my friend's wedding at noon...I dont have enough time to go back home, change, and all that. I'm enjoying the surprised but appreciative looks/comments Smile.... who cares whether it's appropriate office wear or not... Twisted Evil

I usually wear just about anything to office..but sometimes, i'm in formal shirt and trousers/skirt (if there's a presentaion I need to make to customers - I sometimes have to, although im in engineering). Otherwise, it's mostly jeans or a salwar kameez... but I believe in not wearing anything that shows midriff/slightest hint of cleavage to office - so no sari either except on some days like today.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 02:23 pm
A gorgeous South Indian silk, Sakhi? Or is it too hot for that? Did you wear flowers in your hair too?
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:49 pm
"Proper attire" is that which advances the organizational goals. As a consequence, it's hard to generalize too much. If you're a laborer, or tradesman, you will dress differently than if you are working in customer service for a private bank. Uniforms are a popular way of enforcing dress appropriate standards for many businesses. Imagine a chef not wearing whites, or a policeman with long hair and a diamond ear-stud. A physician who wears a mini-skirt and spike heels isn't likely to generate much trust for most older patients. On the other hand, a plumber charging as much per hour as a physician would be ludicrous in a tie and sport-coat. How would you like your attorney to show up in court in sandals and a Hawaiian shirt? When was the last time you saw a Judge with neon spiked hair and a nose ring? Some positions only work for the betterment of the mission when the "employee" projects an image of confidence, authority and professional excellence.

For office wear, one can hardly go wrong by choosing a conservative wardrobe. If one works in a position where there is regular contact with customers or other divisions within the organization, a person needs to be very conscious of the effect their appearance has on others. Would you trust your hard earned money to an organization that permits your contact to dress like they are momentarily leaving for Club Med? Front office men should wear freshly laundered and ironed long-sleeved shirts, and business slacks at minimum. Preferably the men should wear, or have available for a moment's notice, a good quality necktie and sport coat. Shoes should be shined, hair closely trimmed, and clean fingernails.

Front office women's skirts should be nearly knee length, or longer. Pant suits in muted colors are fine. Jewelry should be worn on the wrist, finger, or around the neck. A strand of pearls is probably near perfect, whereas big and flashy jewelry is not acceptable outside of the nightclub. A single set of earrings are fine, but studs impaled through the nose, tongue, cheek, or eyebrow is a definite no-no. A professional woman's hair needs to be neat and clean. Finger nail polish should not call unwarranted attention. Shoes should almost never be of the really high-heel variety; who needs the liability? No gum, no smoking, no use of casual slang.

Back room folks have a less exacting standard to live up to. Engineers and computer types get a pass on short sleeves, pocket protectors and weird sports coats worn only when dealing with the customers or other organizational divisions. Support staff who are unseen by the public can wear jeans, sports shirts, and wear their hair as they please ... but they will never move onto the fast track to advancement. Mullets may be nice for tavern and stadium, but at work the style is limited to the dead-end and unskilled.

Now, of course, things are different than when I was still in the workforce. For most of my various careers the women were a distinct minority. Not many women in the military, police, or metallurgical fields in the old days. Times have changed.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 05:15 pm
I'd say this section has changed with the times too, Asherman:

Asherman wrote:
Front office women's skirts should be nearly knee length, or longer. Pant suits in muted colors are fine. Jewelry should be worn on the wrist, finger, or around the neck. A strand of pearls is probably near perfect, whereas big and flashy jewelry is not acceptable outside of the nightclub. A single set of earrings are fine, but studs impaled through the nose, tongue, cheek, or eyebrow is a definite no-no. A professional woman's hair needs to be neat and clean. Finger nail polish should not call unwarranted attention. Shoes should almost never be of the really high-heel variety; who needs the liability?

It depends on the field of course but for many professional women, a certain display of fashion savvy is also important. In that context, too conservative -- and unfashionable -- can be a liability.
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 12:13 am
_Heatwave_ wrote:
A gorgeous South Indian silk, Sakhi? Or is it too hot for that? Did you wear flowers in your hair too?

Yes, south indian kanjeevaram it was -it's very pleasant here. Rains a lot, though. No flowers...I'm not too fond of the smell of jasmine.

Another office no-no from me...I wear a diamond nose stud...it's small but it's there - I should have thought twice before I got my nose pierced - now I have to wear it, whtaever my dress may be.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 01:29 pm
OK - I think this is just a plain old fashion No-No:

A woman had a skirt on - she also had those nylon thingys that only come up to your ankle (called a ankle high?)
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 11:02 am
Sakhi, I envy you your nose stud - wish I had the courage to get mine pierced.

I'm very bright today. Literally. I have on a yellow Indian salwar kurta, that elicited just one comment: "You're looking very Indian today."

Smile

I think I'm committing an apparel crime in the office today.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 11:32 am
I guess it's easier when you're in charge. My gynecologist in Chicago was/is Pakistani and she wore her drag whenever she felt like it. That gave the office visits a little kick, never knowing if she would be in her native garb or not.

My gynecologist here is a Black Muslim and she wears headwraps that would give Ms. Eryka Badu a run for her money.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 01:58 pm
Linkat wrote:
OK - I think this is just a plain old fashion No-No:

A woman had a skirt on - she also had those nylon thingys that only come up to your ankle (called a ankle high?)

Laughing That certainly is a No-No! Was she wearing heels with those?
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 08:37 am
I think you're right, eoe, about it being easier when you're in-charge. It's also not hard if you don't care. Wink

I had to go look up Erykah Badu, and those are some scarves. I'd love to wear some of those - but then I'd truly look odd.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 09:54 am
WOW asherman, you're one tough cookie!

I'm conservative when it comes to my dress, both at work and on my own time, but I think some of your suggestions are a little too stringent, at least in todays world.

While I agree that the workplace is no place for cleavage, low riders or ultra loose baggy clothing, one really must make allowances for personal expression.

Unless you're working for an ultra conservative law firm or investement house, or something of that nature, I find business casual is mostly the norm today.

For men, I don't feel dress slacks are necessary, dockers or other types of khaki pants are just fine, allow with a button down shirt or even a nice polo. Pretty much as long as it has a collar. No athetic shoes, but nice loafers are fine. So many meetings are done via conference calls and emails, when an actual face on meeting is called, it's ususally planned in advance. Even then, when it's going to be all people that know each other well, I don't see the sense of suit and tie. Also, long hair today on men is not the same as it was back in the hippie days. While in general men wear their hair shorter, if an individual prefers long hair, and it's tied back and clean, I don't think people really think twice about it anymore.

As far as womens dress....I really think it's going too far to insist on "muted colors" Women generally know what colors flatter them, and if they look great in red, they should wear it.
Deep purple, royal blue, red....they are all power colors and I for one would not stop wearing them because someone thinks I should be dressing in violet, dusty blue or gray.

Also....at the knees or below????....come on....this isn't 1945. Of course one shouldn't be wearing micro minis, but honestly, knee length dresses don't suit everyones body, and 3 or 4 inches above the knee isn't going to shock anyone.

Same for nail color...sorry, that's an individual thing....I will add NO CHIPPED POLISH!!!

Jewelry? Again, depends on the woman. On some, small jewelry looks ridiculous, and larger pieces can actually make them look much more together.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 01:24 pm
_Heatwave_ wrote:
I'd love to wear some of those - but then I'd truly look odd.

go for it Very Happy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 03:36 pm
Heatwave--

One woman's "odd" is another woman's "exotic".
0 Replies

ajw4

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 10:52 am
Black or Dark Blue or Charcoal gray suit with Brown Shoes! Don't!!
eoe

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 09:01 pm
@ajw4,
Maybe not with black but brown shoes with a dark blue or charcoal gray suit are perfectly acceptable, for men anyway, according to GQ magazine. Women have more options.
0 Replies