about several family names

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 09:12 am
A paragraph goes like this
...Grandfather on Mother's side was a Newpert. The family held some good real estate in Rhode Island until they sold it for many times what they gave for it. Grandmother on Father's side was a Salts, whose bottled mineral water, once available only through prescription and believed indispensable in the cure of all fevers, was the first product ever to be reviewed by the Food and Drug Administration, a famous and controversial case. The government found it to contain nothing that was actually detrimental to human beings, and it went public, so to speak. Available now over the counter, the Salts made more money from it than ever.
Mother was an Oh. Her mother was the chemical engineer ...

Are the three italilized nouns family names?
Does"Grandfather on Mother's side "refer to mother's father, or anybody else ?
If so, why do Grandfather on Mother's side and Mother have different family names? I can judge OH should be her maid name,because her husband has a surname as Ashenden.
Thanks a lot!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,467 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Francis

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 10:02 am
Re: about several family names
southfisherman wrote:
If so, why do Grandfather on Mother's side and Mother have different family names?

Newpert and Oh were not married but they had a child whose name was Oh (mother's name).

Noel Ashenden was the child of Ashenden and Salts. He married Oh, then "making an Ashenden"....
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 10:22 am
Yes, all three of your highlighted words are the names of people.

The narrator's Mother's Father, whose family name was Newpert married a daughter of the Oh family. Mother's family were well off, but not fantastically wealthy. The Newperts had money from selling their Rhode Island home, and the narrator's Mother was a chemical engineer.

The narrator is, however, extravagantly wealthy from the Salt's fortune made from selling mineral water.

The narrator's maiden name would have been Newpert, before marrying into the Ashenden family.

BTW, Ashenden is a Somerset Maughan character, but this quotation doesn't sound in the least like that noted British author.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 10:33 am
You making the light, Asherman, like the narrator's father...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:08 pm
Asherman wrote:
The narrator's Mother's Father, whose family name was Newpert married a daughter of the Oh family.

Maybe, but then again maybe not.

The maternal grandfather's name was Newpert, and the mother's name was Oh. That could mean one of several things:
(1) the mother's maiden name was Newpert and she married someone named Oh;
(2) the mother's name was Newpert but she had it legally changed to Oh;
(3) the maternal grandmother's name was Oh and this name was given to the mother;
(4) the mother's name was Oh before she was adopted by Newpert, and her name wasn't changed;
(5) the mother's maiden name was Newpert and she was first married to someone named Oh before she married someone else; or
(6) the author made a mistake.

From the original "excerption" (which is a mess), it's not easy to tell. I lean toward the last explanation: the author made a mistake.

Asherman wrote:
The narrator's maiden name would have been Newpert, before marrying into the Ashenden family.

No, that's not possible. If the narrator is a woman (something we cannot tell), her maiden name would, under normal circumstances, be that of her father -- presumably Ashenden. The family tree would look something like this:

Code:
Newpert(m)___unknown(f) unknown(m)(Ashenden?)___Salts(f)
| |
| |
Oh(f)______________________unknown(m)(Ashenden?)
|
|
narrator

The narrator is the product of the union of Oh and the unknown male, presumably Ashenden.
0 Replies

csunature

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 01:00 pm
excuse me,can 'newpert' be a place or else?
exvuse me,can 'newpert' be a place or else?
because 'Newport' is a beach at Narragansett ,state of virginia,the usa where is near the 'rhod island' .(i found this information in an online english-chinese dictionary 'www.sunrain.net' when i searched for 'newpert').
or can 'newpert' is the name of citizens in newport?
i am from china,could you send me some new information if you have?
thank you very much!
and my email is:
[email protected] or [email protected]
^_^
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 01:10 pm
it's called Newport..not Newpert

Newport is a famous historical town that houses mansions by the Rhode Island's Atlantic coast.

In Virginia, the town is called Newport News.

In neither place are the citizens there called Newpert.
0 Replies