Senior citizen sexuality

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 04:08 am
I'm taking a class on human development and one project we have to do is a group project on sexuality. Part of our group project was a survey which proved nothing except that people vary and we don't know how to ask questions without affecting the response. We broke sexuality up by age categories and I got the one for 65 and beyond. I'm supposed to write up what I generally want to say, put it in powerpoint format (which I don't quite know how to do) and have the most organized person in the group make it all fit together in powerpoint format.

Basically I begin my spiel w/ data on how fast the population is aging and how stereotypes are being replaced with news stories of accomplishments by seniors... but in spite of all the good pr, the seniors are more often seen as asexual or made fun of for being sexual... I go on to differentiate between seniors who are independent and healthy and those who require assistance as well as widowhood and then dearth of men for the aging women... There is some material about policy in nursing homes, which basically amounts to if both participants are consenting cognizant adults, they can behave how they please in their bedrooms. I was thinking I'd compare it to the former attitude of treating their uninhibitedness for being sexual as a problem worth medicating... That's all I got, folks. I wrote down "physiological changes. Decreased estrogen. Testosterone. Senile vaginal atrophy. SLower arousal time. More manual stimulation. A willingness to learn to compensate for normal body changes of aging," but I haven't flushed out just what I want to say on that. (I'll take a look at what the person covering menopause has to say before I put time into plumping up the physiological changes part.) I'm supposed to use our survey results. Our survey was basically a waste of time, though. We each were asked to give it to 20 people (ideally 10 males and 10 females whose age falls within our age range for category. So far I've done about 5 each for men and women and found that 7 have sex 0 times/month. 2 have sex 1 time/month, and one lucky young old man still has sex 6-10 times/month! I heard about health problems and widowhood and about one 72 year old woman who has a friend she gives a blow job to on his birthday. On Christmas, he said, "It's Christmas," and she said to him, "Ah, but it's not your birthday!"

I'm out of practice writing papers, and am having a tough time with this one. I've also decided that our survey doesn't prove anything except that there is variation in behaviors among humans... If any of you have any input, I welcome constructive suggestions...

Here is the survey, if any of you are 65 or older and wish to take it:

1) WHat is your age?
2) Are you male or female?
3) Are you in a monogamous relationship?
4) About how many times do you have sex a month? A:0 B:1-5 C:6-10 D:11 or more
6) Are you satisfied with the amount of sex that you have?
7) Has your sex life been A: consistant or B: sporadic?
8) Have you ever sexually pleasured yourself?
9) Do you view sex as a physical act or an act of intimacy?
10) How often do you initiate sex? A: never B: occasionally C: frequently D: always
11) Do you find sex desirable?

I ask the people who take it from me to add any other comments they think are relevant and would be willing to have me use for my report. (Several have written there that they miss sex...)

Thanks in advance for any input...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,188 • Replies: 1
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 08:22 am
This appeared in the NYT last week, might be helpful:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/10/health/10brod.html

Even gives you a cool word to use in searching for more info: "obsolagnium." (It means "waning sexual desire resulting from age.")
0 Replies