a sentence I cannot understand well

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 02:33 am
I am a foreign learner of English and came across a long sentence recently which I can not understand well .It goes like this:

Would anybody please paraphrase the big sentence in simple English?
thank you very much!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 866 • Replies: 6
No top replies

aidan

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 03:22 am
This person (who I'd guess is someone who came from humble beginnings and made a lot of money through business-obviously selling stock of some kind) is saying:

S/he believes that the progression of the system as it worked for him/her was perfect. His/her fortune was made by people who took a chance (providents and trailers of hunch) when his or her business was not a sure thing (the price of the stock was still very low) and helped him amass a fortune (thirteen or fourteen million- dollars that is).
And s/he believes that if they could do it- anyone else could do it (sort of implied).

Genealogy is an interesting choice of word though-it usually refers to family or inherited traits or characteristics- so I'd just substitute the concept of "natural progression" there.

Who said this- I'd guess someone like Sam Walton, except that he made much, much more than 13 or 14 million- although maybe this was back when he first was getting his fortune-making business underway.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 06:57 am
Southfisherman--

Welcome to A2K.

The sentence you're having trouble with isn't a very good sentence.

Quote:

I'm guessing that the writer uses "genealogy" to mean "evolving situation".

"I think this is a perfect evolving situation. If I can buy and sell to thousands of people in this country, you can buy and sell to people in your town."

I'm not even going to try to sort out "providents and trailers of hunch". A wild stab would be "lucky", but....

"Some people bought this stock at $.08 a share and I'm glad they showed me that the opportunity was available. I only made 13 or 14 million dollars, but I'm satisfied with this money."

If the writer is trying to sell you something, don't buy. This is not prose from an honest man.
0 Replies

southfisherman

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 08:38 am
Thank you for all your kind help.
Actually, the sentence is from a piece of work written by an American surnamed Ashenden in 1970s(I think). His family acumulated large amount of wealth in match industry and bottled water. He is not very known to the public, but he created some small pieces which are quite unique in style and taste. His language is sort of loose , making it much more difficult for a foreigner like me to understand .
After all, thank all you guys!!
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 11:14 am
You're welcome-
I myself kind of like the style- as you said- loose, and to my taste, with some interesting and kind of quaint turns of phrase. I always find that a llittle more interesting than regular, old run of the mill standard business speak.

Are you reading this author for any special reason?
0 Replies

southfisherman

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 10:04 pm
thank all of you for your kind help
0 Replies

southfisherman

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 07:19 am
I don't do any research work concerning with the author. I am just trying to put his passage where this sentence is from into Chinese!
0 Replies