FORTEO

cdrkb

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 04:49 am
I just started Forteo about 2 weeks ago and have been experiencing pain in my hips, pelvis and long bones of my legs. It's a gnawning pain and at nite I usually have to take a pain pill to sleep. I do work out but it's not muscle pain--it is definitely bone pain.
Anyone else experieince this. I'm 56 yrs young and have severe osteporosis. I cna't take any oral agents as I have a history of peptic ulcers and when I did try them teh pain in my legs was worse than what I am experiencing now. ckb
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,378 • Replies: 11
No top replies

carrie

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 05:20 am
I just looked it up, and it seems that this is one of the most common side effects...

There are a few other topics on this... one is this. The discussion and stories from people are quite interesting - lots of pages

http://www.able2know.com/forums/about11948-0-asc-0.html

:-)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 06:17 am
What does your doctor say?
0 Replies

josiesee

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 03:32 pm
Forteo
I am starting Forteo on 5-11-07 after the class I will attend. I have tried the oral agents which upset my GI terribly. I am 50yrs old. My t-scorces are not bad. Hip -2.0 spine -1.8. On 4-13-07 I had surgery for a fractured femur. My Drs. say it's a pathological fracture. I had no falls or injuries. I'm a nurse and was treated for Hepatitis C in 2002. Since I've had 2 back surgeries with rods and cages in my spine. I'm becoming the bionic woman with all the titanium they have put in me! lol My question is should I get lab testing done before starting the Forteo? I was reading some other sites which suggested checking alk.phos., calcium, parathryroid hormone. Has anyone had lab done before or is there anything else to beaware of before starting Forteo? THANKS!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 04:01 pm
josiesee- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

It seems to me that your question is best directed to the doctor who is prescribing Forteo. Why don't you give him a call, and ask him?
0 Replies

josiesee

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 04:21 pm
Forteo
THANKS!! for the welcome Phoenix32890
I put a call in to my Drs. office Thanks for the info. I'm looking foward to starting the Forteo tx. I have read after a few months a person can tell their bones are getting stronger!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 07:09 am
Josie--

Has your doctor suggested weight bearing exercise? Will your insurance company cover a gym membership? Is there any reason you can't start walking 20-30 minutes most days?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 07:18 am
Noddy is right about the weight bearing exercise. Also, ask him about taking calcium and Vitamin D supplements.
0 Replies

josiesee

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 05:21 pm
Forteo
Hey Noddy24 and Phoenix32890
I have been working with home health PT. They haven't released me to walk 20-30 mins. daily. I have been doing my exercises 3 times a day with ankle weights. I have been taking Citracal Petites 4 times a day. It has CA# 400mg and Vit.D 400iu. I was told your body will only asorbe a certain amt. of CA# at a time then the rest is just discarded. My rheumatologist suggested the Citracal because it's calcium citrate which will asorbe better. I received my Forteo per Fed Ex today. I'll be taking the class the drug company sponsors re: Forteo on friday. Then I'll start my injections.I'm currently taking Luvonox inj. 2 times a day to prevent blood clots so I'll have to find out if I can start the Forteo now or if I'll have to wait. Later ya' all !!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 06:02 pm
Josie--

I can hear your bones growing stronger like corn ripening in Iowa in August.
0 Replies

josiesee

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 07:00 pm
Forteo
Hey Noddy24
I hope my bones grow that fast!! lol I just read an article about Reclast a once a year tx. It's an IV infusion over 15mins. Just waiting on FDA approval. They have approved for Padget's disease. Sounds awesome!!!!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 09:05 am
Josie--

Enthusiasm counts for a lot.

Good luck.
0 Replies