The Problem with Obama's Mantra

Miller

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 12:26 am
The problem with Obama's mantra.
Off Message

by Noam Scheiber
Only at TNR Online
Post date: 04.11.07

There comes a point in the life of every fan when he must confront the mounting evidence that he and the rest of the world part company on the object of his fan-dom--and the rest of the world may have a point. I have in mind here such historic milestones as year four of the disastrous Bobby Bonilla experiment in New York, the year I fell out of love with the Mets. On paper, the Mets of early '90s vintage looked like world-beaters. Somewhere in the middle of their third consecutive losing season, however, it became clear that this team was never going to put it together. I hung on long after that--'til the day Bonilla was traded two years later.

Barack Obama is, thankfully, a long way from the Bonilla-era Mets. He is, for one thing, just entering his prime, not at the tail end of it like the Mets's aging stars. And, so far as I know, he has never been tempted to throw a firecracker into a crowd of people. (That would be Mets outfielder Vince Coleman.) And, yet, were it not for the $25 million he raised in the first quarter of this year--an enormous qualifier, to be sure--this might be the point at which the less steadfast among us begin to ask themselves a painful, if necessary, question: What's the flaw in this man's game?

Over the last month, Obama has earned only tepid receptions at a Democratic health care forum in Las Vegas and at two high-profile union events in Washington, D.C. The gap between his rock-star reputation and his low-key stump presence has prompted The New York Times's Adam Nagourney to proclaim that Obama-the-presidential-candidate "might startle those who knew him only from the [2004 Democratic National Convention keynote] speech that made him famous." Journalists covering Obama now routinely pepper their accounts with quotes from disappointed audience-members, like, "He left me kind of flat" (a California AFL-CIO delegate) and "a little too solemn and sober" (fire fighter's union president Harold Schaitberger).

Stylistic failings aside, the standard explanation for why Obama isn't exciting audiences is that he's too stingy with details. This creates the impression that he lacks the policy chops to be president. The problem is particularly evident alongside the preternatural wonkiness of a Hillary Clinton and the practiced incantations of a John Edwards. Clinton, as my colleague Bradford Plumer reported last month, can effortlessly touch such labor erogenous zones as "prevailing-wage laws" and deliberate worker misclassifications. Edwards has a knack for spinning riveting yarns that highlight the need for long-overdue reforms like universal health care or card-check legislation. By contrast, Obama talks "more often than not in broad, general strokes," according to Nagourney.

Of course, as Obama has pointed out in his own defense, his campaign is a mere two months old. In an ideal world, a candidate would have a binder full of intricate policy proposals before entering a race--collated, color-tabbed, and ready to go. But then, in an ideal world, the Democratic front-runner wouldn't have unfavorable ratings in excess of 40 percent. We knew Obama was going to be green just like we knew Hillary was going to be a tough sell among large chunks of voters. The bargain was that Obama's raw intellect and innate political skills would get him up to speed before long. This may not turn out to be the case, but it's much too early to conclude as much.

If there's a serious concern at this point, it's not that the fixable things aren't being fixed. It's that Obama is becoming a prisoner to broader strategic decisions that, once made, are harder to adjust. At the top of the list is the campaign's emphasis on process reform--the promise to create a less corrosive, less corrupt, more meaningful brand of politics. As it happens, it's not a message that's obviously suited to the political zeitgeist.

What's unique about this moment is the extent to which Democrats are united by their outrage at George W. Bush and the Republican Party. They think the president's rare combination of bull-headedness, cynicism, and staggering incompetence has done historic damage. The problem with Obama's reformist message is that it prevents him from singling out Bush and the GOP in a way that's very satisfying. In his speech to the fire fighters, for example, Obama only assigned blame elliptically. "It's a noble calling, what you do. ... But sometimes Washington forgets," he said. "Instead of making your job easier ... they try to cut funding so you couldn't buy masks and the suits that you needed." Later, he concluded: "What keeps Washington from doing all that it needs to do to better protect our fire fighters ... [is] the smallness of our politics."

But it's not Washington that has tried to cut funding for first-responders and won't give them the equipment they need. It's Bush's GOP. It's not the smallness of our politics that's holding these things up. It's the smallness of their politics. Pretty much every Democrat in Congress, given the chance to fix these indignities, would do it in an instant.

Obama is understandably reluctant to admit this. If any Democrat will do, it's not clear why he should be that Democrat. He has, after all, been involved in national politics for fewer than three years. So he ends up fighting a two-front war: simultaneously making the case against Bush and against Democratic insiders like Clinton. But, by lumping Democrats in with Bush, Obama creates an odd dissonance, seeming to deny the one feature of contemporary politics his audiences know to be true: that Bush, far more than Democrats, bears responsibility for their grievances.

Ultimately, I don't think Obama gives himself enough credit. What I found so compelling about his message in 2004 was that it offered one of the more common-sense critiques of Bush-style conservatism (and defenses of liberalism) I'd ever heard. It began with the premise that the American people had exceedingly modest expectations from government: They just wanted to know that they'd get paid a living wage if they worked hard, that they wouldn't go bankrupt if they got sick, that their kids could get a decent education, and that they'd be able to retire with dignity. "That's it. That's not a lot," Obama would conclude. "And when you tell [Americans] that we could be delivering those things with just a slight change in priorities, if we stop just cutting taxes for the wealthy ... then people respond. They want to hear the truth. And they'll even hear it from somebody whose name they don't recognize."

Obama doesn't need to sell voters on a new brand of politics. And he doesn't need to take veiled shots at the rest of the Democratic Party. (The contrast with them should be obvious enough from his biography.) He just needs to articulate the critique that he, more than anyone else, is capable of articulating, at least if one can judge from 2004. The rest will take care of itself.

The New Republic
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,282 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Orilione

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 12:45 am
I have contributed to Obama's campaign and will contribute even more. He is the brightest and most atriculate person to run for President in my lifetime. He was, after all, the President of the Harvard Law Review. His ideas are well thought out and appealing to most people but those on the fringes. His election to the Presidency will enable us to finally put the horrible days of slavery and its effects behind us as a nation.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 12:54 am
You do seem to be on a crusade, Miller.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 05:33 am
Orilione wrote:
His election to the Presidency will enable us to finally put the horrible days of slavery and its effects behind us as a nation.

You're living in LaLa land. First of all racism in the USA will never die and the days of slavery will always be with us, as long as historians live, breathe and write.

If all will be sweet with Obama as President, why then is his wife afraid someone will murder her husband?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 05:43 am
Miller- One does not have to be a black contender for the presidency, or even the president, to be targeted for assassination. And then there was Bobby Kennedy. It seems to come with the territory. When one is either an aspirant to high public office, there are those who would rather vote with a bullet than a ballot.

Quote:
This is a list of U.S. Presidential assassination attempts. There have been eighteen attempts to kill sitting and former United States Presidents and Presidents-Elect. Four attempts on sitting Presidents have succeeded; the 16th, 20th, 25th and 35th US Presidents were all assassinated in office.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Presidential_assassination_attempts
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 05:55 am
Phoenix - Please don't throw Miller off path with facts. Facts are just ... messy.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 03:34 pm
I am a conservative, but Obama is a viable candidate for the Presidency,as far as I am concerned.
He is the only democrat candidate (right now) that I would even consider.

Miller seems to think that Obama has no business running for President.
Miller is wrong.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 04:51 pm
I read this article as finding more fault with Obama's advisers and handlers than with the man himself.
The article speaks very highly of his intellect and qualifications for presidency.
I don't understand how anyone could interpret this article as stating that Obama is not presidential material. If anything, it reads to me as if the author is frustrated that Obama is not being presented in such a way as to highlight his qualifications.

And I would have thought that whoever posted it was favorable, or at least neutral towards Obama.
(I admit I'm don't know any past history and am unaware of all the ins and outs though).
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 02:35 pm
MM, why do you like Obama? I was surprised at your post.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 04:29 pm
Advocate wrote:
MM, why do you like Obama? I was surprised at your post.

Why does my post surprise you?
I am on record as saying that my first choice for President was Evan Bayh (D-IN).
It is a shame that he didnt run,because I would have suppported him 150%.

I like Obama for several reasons,but let me stress that I have NOT said I will vote for him,at least not yet.

He is a new face,with relatively little experience.
That can hurt him,but it can also help him because he hasnt been corrupted by power.
I have yet to hear him "dance around" a question,he tries to answer it.
That is a big plus in my book.
He seems genuine in his beliefs and his opinions,even the ones I disagree with.

Right now,he is the ONLY dem I would consider voting for.
I have not yet made up my mind about the repubs,but I am leaning toward either Guilliani or Mitt Romney.

I will make up my mind after the lower tier of candidates are out of the race.
Right now there are to many voices on the choir to understand the song.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 01:08 am
mysteryman wrote:
I am on record as saying that my first choice for President was Evan Bayh (D-IN).
It is a shame that he didnt run,because I would have suppported him 150%.

yup. i remember we talked about bayh a long time ago. i looked into his positions and liked what i saw. agreed, too bad he fell out. but ya might want to look again at edwards, as well as obama.

i don't have any interest in romney; feels like more opportunist than anything else, to me anyway.

i'm open to giuliani, but he needs to convince me quite a bit more to go in that direction.

i'm kinda surprised, but i actually have gotten to like ahnoldt a lot more (although i've always liked his flix ), and even voted for him in our last election. the local republicans, though, are pretty unhappy with him.

oh, welll. it's california, ya know... Laughing
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 02:44 am
Vote for Edwards!
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 12:02 pm
I respect Obama as he says what he means and his positions don't seem to change unlike Hillary.

I won't vote for him and he won't win.

Gulianni vs. Hillary and the dems will give the whitehouse to the repubs because of thier backing of Hillary. Wink
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 12:04 pm
reverend hellh0und wrote:
I respect Obama as he says what he means and his positions don't seem to change unlike Hillary.

Gulianni vs. Hillary and the dems will give the whitehouse to the repubs because of thier backing of Hillary. Wink

Guiliani doesn't have a shot in hell of winning the Republican nomination, sorry.

You seem to discount the fact that the Evangelicals, who make up a pretty big section of Republicans, just aren't going to vote for him.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 12:18 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Guiliani doesn't have a shot in hell of winning the Republican nomination, sorry.

You seem to discount the fact that the Evangelicals, who make up a pretty big section of Republicans, just aren't going to vote for him.

Cycloptichorn

So who do you think it would be then? I think the Republican partry has become centrist-right in the last few elections. They haven't nominated a true conservative in some time. The time is ripe for Gulianni, a centrist-right individual to take the nomination.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 12:31 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

So who do you think it would be then? I think the Republican partry has become centrist-right in the last few elections. They haven't nominated a true conservative in some time. The time is ripe for Gulianni, a centrist-right individual to take the nomination.

It'll be McCain. That's my guess.

You just can't give up a large percentage of your voting body and expect to get elected. And the abortion position, dressing in drag, supporting gay rights - if you're an evangelical, why not just vote for a Democrat and be done with it, if those are the Republicans?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 12:39 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Nah McCain has pissed off to many republicans. And whats his polling these days?

Quote:

You just can't give up a large percentage of your voting body and expect to get elected. And the abortion position, dressing in drag, supporting gay rights - if you're an evangelical, why not just vote for a Democrat and be done with it, if those are the Republicans?

There is not much difference between the two parties these days and I think you over estimate the so called "Evangelical" block. Dressing in drag? Wasn't that at a party or are you suggesting he's got some fetish we all don't know about.... Laughing

Besides McCain's stance on abortions and gay rights are very close to Gulianni's and in some cases more socially liberal.

So how can you say McCain satisfy's this "Evangelical" block that Gulianni does not?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 12:44 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Nah McCain has pissed off to many republicans. And whats his polling these days?

Quote:

There is not much difference between the two parties these days and I think you over estimate the so called "Evangelical" block. Dressing in drag? Wasn't that at a party or are you suggesting he's got some fetish we all don't know about.... Laughing

Besides McCain's stance on abortions and gay rights are very close to Gulianni's and in some cases more socially liberal.

So how can you say McCain satisfy's this "Evangelical" block that Gulianni does not?

Guiliani has dressed in drag more than once. And the religious block of the Republican party is the only thing that's been winning elections for them lately. If they lose even 2-3% of support, they lose the whole taco.

McCain's numbers have been steady for a while now as the #2 behind Guiliaini.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 12:57 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Guiliani has dressed in drag more than once. And the religious block of the Republican party is the only thing that's been winning elections for them lately. If they lose even 2-3% of support, they lose the whole taco.

I still don't understand the "Dressing in drag" problem. And not to claim this as a Democrat or a Republican problem. I see more of an issue causing vote loss as being black or a woman. It is wrong as a reason, but I think it will cause a greater loss than "Dressing in drag" at a party.

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

But I still do not get how you can say McCain is more conservative than Gulianni and therefore will gather more votes and get the nomination than Gulliani will. The only difference we have truly identified is that he dressed in drag at a party. Hardly an issue to anyone if you ask me.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 01:00 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I still don't understand the "Dressing in drag" problem. And not to claim this as a Democrat or a Republican problem. I see more of an issue causing vote loss as being black or a woman. It is wrong as a reason, but I think it will cause a greater loss than "Dressing in drag" at a party.

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

But I still do not get how you can say McCain is more conservative than Gulianni and therefore will gather more votes and get the nomination than Gulliani will. The only difference we have truly identified is that he dressed in drag at a party. Hardly an issue to anyone if you ask me.

That's just an example. Guiliani has bigger problems with his abortion stance, his stance on gays, and his stance on abusing his ex-wife then he does with the dressing in drag. But it sure won't help him.

When polled, 95% of respondents say they would vote for a woman, and 90% a black man. Divorced, Mormon, and Old Man score far, far less. So it doesn't look awesome for any of the Republican candidates.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies