Obama's Silence on Imus Alarms Some Blacks

snood

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 05:21 pm
If you're referring to Obama - it is barely possible he made the decision without the counsel of those individuals.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 05:26 pm
You think MSNBC is getting they're marching orders from Jackson and Sharpton as well?

NEW YORK - MSNBC said Wednesday it will drop its simulcast of the "Imus in the Morning" radio program, responding to growing outrage over the radio host's racial slur against the Rutgers women's basketball team.

In a statement, NBC News announced "this decision comes as a result of an ongoing review process, which initially included the announcement of a suspension. It also takes into account many conversations with our own employees. What matters to us most is that the men and women of NBC Universal have confidence in the values we have set for this company. This is the only decision that makes that possible."
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 05:37 pm
That is another way of saying it may end in a boycot and hit them in the pocketbook.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 05:42 pm
You seem to go a long way to avoid the obvious. The President of NBC news says there was a discussion among people who work at MSNBC about what needed to be done. He says that, along with the moving interviews with the Rutgers coach and players, made this seem to him the only appropriate course.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 05:51 pm
Snood
BS.
I listen to many of the sports programs on WFAN. That is the station that Imus is on in the AM. The sports broadcasters I listened to agreed he made a stupid remark but were solidly in his corner.
Let's not kid ourselves. It's all about money.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 05:54 pm
the only thing worse than what imus said, is the fact that this controversy relegates him to some status of relevance, somehting i thought he'd lost years ago

i'm amazed anybody understood what he said, the man sounds like he's got mouthful of marbles
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 07:57 pm
au1929 wrote:
Snood
BS.
I listen to many of the sports programs on WFAN. That is the station that Imus is on in the AM. The sports broadcasters I listened to agreed he made a stupid remark but were solidly in his corner.
Let's not kid ourselves. It's all about money.

I think its kind of a shame that you don't think this had anything to do with some folks being rightfully indignant, or anything to do with some people in management having some human decency and not wanting to be associated with the kind of puerile locker room crap Imus has gotten away with spouting. I'm not so naive as to think the bottom line had nothing to do with this, but I don't think it's "all about money".

Is everything "all about money" to you, or just things on a national or corporate level?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 08:02 pm
It isn't just about race. There is outrage at the slander of college-educated women. There is outrage at the slander of someone's child because she achieved a remarkable victory in a male-dominated sport.

If your child was going to that university, playing on that champion basketball team, would you want politicians exploiting your child's humility with their loudness?

There are children involved. I applaud Senator Obama for not being one of the Al Sharpton's who will exploit the embarrassment of someone elses child to further his own political goals. I like Obama's quiet, but very effective, methods.

It would not surprise me at all if Barack Obama has not already telephoned many on that basketball team to tell them how proud he is of their educational achievements, and relate to them on how difficult it is to be a successful athelete while also achieving high scores in their studies.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 08:09 pm
I agree with you, Buttrflynet, but did anyone say this was "just about race"?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 08:22 pm
Did we read the same article on the first page of this thread?

"Obama's silence on Imus alarms some blacks
Candidate faces first test on handling issues of race

By Rick Klein and Joseph Williams, Globe Staff | April 11, 2007 "

That's what I was responding to.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 08:33 pm
gotcha
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 11:05 pm
au1929 wrote:
Discretion is the better part of valor.

Some may call it "discretion" but the realists call it "gutless".

Laughing
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 11:09 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
It isn't just about race... I like Obama's quiet, but very effective, methods.

It's all about race and as far as Obama's "methods", his "methods" are those of his political handlers.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 04:41 am
You know jack **** about Obama - because you don't wanna know anything positive. So you concoct ideas like this latest harebrained idea of yours that he is some kind of puppet. You ever see a black democrat you liked?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 04:43 am
snood wrote:
You know jack **** about Obama - because you don't wanna know anything positive. So you concoct ideas like this latest harebrained idea of yours that he is some kind of puppet. You ever see a black democrat you liked?

Good one, Snood.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 04:46 am
This guy is like a pox.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 06:30 am
snood wrote:

Do they carry signs saying they are democrats? I have a hard time seeing ones political affiliation
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 11:32 am
Well, the ones with actual positions in government (which I think is what snood is talking about) or who are running for office usually do have a (D) after their name.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 01:11 pm
snood wrote:
This guy is like a pox.

Are you now a pox expert? Shocked
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 01:12 pm
Quote:
You ever see a black democrat you liked?

One with Pox?

Shocked
0 Replies