To whom did Jesus pray?

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 07:43 pm
Jesus reportedly prayed many times. At one time saying ". . . Father, glorify me alongside yourself with the glory that I had alongside you before the world was."

To whom was he praying?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,208 • Replies: 68
No top replies

Foley

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 07:46 pm
I assume to God.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 10:53 pm
But many believe Jesus IS God.

Was he talking to himself?
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 11:43 pm
Classic case of multiple personality disorder (dissociative identity disorder). Remember "The Three Faces of Eve"?

http://ia.ec.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/26/95/38m.jpg
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 12:38 am
When I was a kid I use to love toasting raisin bread. But it would resurrect itself disappointingly with holes, so I could not spread the peanut butter evenly.

Maybe Jesus fet the same way about spreading the gospels and the holy toast's raison d'etre?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 12:55 am
I think he was praying to whatever source of power he felt, either within or without himself, that could give him guidance, help or direction.
Isn't that what praying is? And as long as he knew who he was praying to-and trusted in that relationship-why worry what he called it?

I know I don't worry about attaching a name or any kind of face, figure or form to whatever I'm talking (or sometimes) thinking to. Sometimes I even ask questions like, "What the heck is this, now?" As if maybe, I might get an answer, as there never seem to be any answers forthcoming talking to most people (although I have to admit, I'm lucky enough to have a few people in my life who give me great answers-or at least redirect my thinking enough so that I can find my own).

But I'm curious to know if those who absolutely don't believe ever feel any kind of energy coming from any other source other than the other animated hunks of flesh walking the earth-in other words- do they ever feel the need to "pray" (or talk or relay thoughts to something that might be able or willing to help them in whatever way, when they are just totally at the end of their rope with no answers forthcoming from the other bodies with brains they can see and touch and feel?)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 01:05 am
Chumly wrote:
When I was a kid I use to love toasting raisin bread. But it would resurrect itself disappointingly with holes, so I could not spread the peanut butter evenly.

Maybe Jesus fet the same way about spreading the gospels and the holy toast's raison d'etre?
Another outstanding stroke of genius!

That's what you get for trying to spread peanut butter on raisin bread. Raisin bread toast is good only with sugar and cinnamon. . . ..
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 04:06 am
neologist wrote:

When he was alive, he was a man, and as a jewish man, he was called upon to pray to God. It didn't matter that he was God, in flesh appearing, his humanness, his humanity required prayer to the source; what we call our Father in Heaven.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 04:34 am
Christianity wouldn't be so bad if it didn't require it's believers to murder their intellects entirely.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 07:18 am
But doesn't Buddhism require you to murder your sense of arrogant judgment of others- pretty much entirely? Or do I misunderstand? Maybe those early years of Christian instruction entirely murdered my intellect. Along with instilling in me the belief that it's wrong to set myself above others in arrogant judgment of their beliefs.

I thought the teachings of Jesus and Buddha were similar in that regard...apparently not...or maybe some of us don't practice what we seem to like to preach.

Do you pray Cyracuz?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 07:21 am
Isn't one of the mysteries of faith that there is A father son and holy ghost and they are seperate entities and all the same simultaneously?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 07:56 am
princesspupule wrote:
neologist wrote:

When he was alive, he was a man, and as a jewish man, he was called upon to pray to God. It didn't matter that he was God, in flesh appearing, his humanness, his humanity required prayer to the source; what we call our Father in Heaven.

Jesus, in providing Himself as our example, prayed. And so doing showed us how to pray.

Quote:
John 11:41 Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me.

42And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me. [/u]

Is it hard to understand? Sure.

Can God be in more than one place at a time? Yes.

Neo, even your JW theology teaches that Jesus was 'divine'. How could it said that He hungered, He was tired, etc while He was on Earth?

He voluntarily limited Himself by living in a human body, did He not?

If you ever understand it all, then you will be God. I won't hold my breath.

The fact that the Bible presents Jesus as the Creator is the starting point for Christians.

You can present all kinds of objections based on 'How can that be (since it doesn't make sense to my way of thinking)?'

But does that make the objection valid?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 07:59 am
aidan wrote:
But doesn't Buddhism require you to murder your sense of arrogant judgment of others- pretty much entirely?

No. It states that you'd be better off without it, but that if you are so inclined the best thing you can do is suffer through it. The only thing that can teach an arrogant person not to be arrogant is the consequences of being arrogant.

Quote:
Along with instilling in me the belief that it's wrong to set myself above others in arrogant judgment of their belief.

I believe that too. But that's not good enough for me. I have to know it in my bones. Unfortunately I don't so I sometimes judge in my arrogance.

Quote:
I thought the teachings of Jesus and Buddha were similar in that regard...apparently not...or maybe some of us don't practice what we seem to like to preach.

Yes, the teachings are similar. But, as I said, Buddhism isn't about acting perfect. It is about learning from every experience with the goal of achieving a happier existence.

But honestly, when someone states that Jesus was god, yet he was man when he was on earth, so he prayed to god because he wasn't god then even though he normally is...

Doesn't that strike you as just a little bit crazy?
Christianity wants you to believe in what is incomprehensible. Buddhism wants you to believe nothing, and to test everything. I think there's a difference...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 08:08 am
aidan wrote:
Along with instilling in me the belief that it's wrong to set myself above others in arrogant judgment of their beliefs.

nuff said.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 08:33 am
Quote:
But honestly, when someone states that Jesus was god, yet he was man when he was on earth, so he prayed to god because he wasn't god then even though he normally is...

Actually, I think it takes some intellect just to keep it all straight.
Maybe you could think of it (Jesus talking to God) like phoning home when you're away and distanced from those who know and love you best.

To me, it's just the same story over and over again, whether its Jesus or Buddha or Krishna, Allah, etc. That's why I don't think it really matters what Jesus called whatever force it was he felt reliant upon- as it doesn't matter for me.

Thanks for explaining the Buddhism stuff. I really am interested to know if people who deny the existence of a god ever feel the need to pray.
This may be a very stupid question, and I feel like I should know the answer, and maybe I did at one time, but have forgotten for the moment, but do Buddhist's pray? Is Buddha considered to be a with an otherworldly or immortal source of power and knowledge like the god(s) of Christianity?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 10:33 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Christianity wants you to believe in what is incomprehensible.

Interesting way of putting it. And not incorrect.

However, is something only true if you can understand it?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 02:41 pm
real life wrote:
Cyracuz wrote:
Christianity wants you to believe in what is incomprehensible.

Interesting way of putting it. And not incorrect. (emphasis mine)

However, is something only true if you can understand it?
Actually, It is incorrect. What many define as faith is in reality credulity.

Even the very definition of the words 'father' and 'son' implies separateness and inequality.

RL, was it possible for Jesus to have sinned?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 03:49 pm
aidan wrote:
Is Buddha considered to be a with an otherworldly or immortal source of power and knowledge like the god(s) of Christianity?

No. The buddha was human. There have been other buddhas after him, and they were all human.

I do not think buddhists pray, since there are no gods involved. But they meditate, and some of them chant. But all of that is for personal benefit, to align one's energies and maintain a beneficial balance.

But you should ask JLNobody, NickFun or Asherman. They're all buddhists of various schools, and I'm sure they could give a better answer than I can. I'm more of a "freelance" buddhist, if there is such a thing.

Real life.

I do not think that something is untrue just because it is incomprehensible. But I am of the mind that if it cannot be verified and put to the test, then it is of little personal value to me. So I guess I think that if something cannot be understood by anyone, then we cannot say if it is true or not. From there I guess it's a matter of preference when I chose to disregard it.

Neo

I define faith totally independent of religion. To have faith is to be optimistically wired, so to speak. It is the ability to fend off despair based on the knowledge that we do not know what will come, so it is illogical to emphasis the bad possibilities any more than the good. To have faith is to be able to endure the suspense.
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 05:59 pm
Chumly wrote:

I love raisin bread, but i'm hardcore, no spreads at all or just butter, anything else taints the taste....
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 07:49 pm
BDV wrote:
Chumly wrote:

I love raisin bread, but i'm hardcore, no spreads at all or just butter, anything else taints the taste....
Butter for sure. And, depending on the baker, perhaps some cinnamon sugar. . ..
0 Replies