To whom did Jesus pray?

Gala

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 08:13 pm
Chumly wrote:
When I was a kid I use to love toasting raisin bread. But it would resurrect itself disappointingly with holes, so I could not spread the peanut butter evenly.

Maybe Jesus fet the same way about spreading the gospels and the holy toast's raison d'etre?

Raisin d'etre. Good one Chumly.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 09:46 pm
neologist wrote:
real life wrote:
Cyracuz wrote:
Christianity wants you to believe in what is incomprehensible.

Interesting way of putting it. And not incorrect. (emphasis mine)

However, is something only true if you can understand it?
Actually, It is incorrect.

No, the New Testament makes it clear that God is beyond our comprehension.

"O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!

For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor?"

neologist wrote:
What many define as faith is in reality credulity.

I agree that many do so. I do not. Faith does not require complete understanding, only complete trust. Otherwise how would a child have faith?

Does it make one credulous to trust One who is trustworthy? No.

neologist wrote:
Even the very definition of the words 'father' and 'son' implies separateness and inequality.

What they seem to imply to you or I, and what they mean may be two entirely different things, no?

And don't forget Jesus is referred to as the 'Eternal Father'.

"For there has been a child born to us, there has been a son given to us; and the princely rule will come to be upon his shoulder. And his name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace."

neologist wrote:
RL, was it possible for Jesus to have sinned?

Not sure how that relates to this.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 10:09 am
Quote:
I agree that many do so. I do not. Faith does not require complete understanding, only complete trust. Otherwise how would a child have faith?

Isn't that cyracuz's problem (and mine) that it's just mindless to have that sort of a 'faith'.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 12:01 pm
real life wrote:
neologist wrote:
. . . RL, was it possible for Jesus to have sinned?

It certainly relates to the difference between Jesus and his father. Were Jesus identical to his father, he could not sin. If he could not sin, what would be the point of his temptation?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 12:06 pm
The Pentacle Queen wrote:
Quote:

Isn't that cyracuz's problem (and mine) that it's just mindless to have that sort of a 'faith'.
A child's trust is based on experience and need. I can't envision a scenario where a child would intellectually test his trust. But faith is more mature and can be tested. In fact, it should be tested.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 02:54 pm
neologist wrote:
Quote:

A child's trust is based on experience and need. I can't envision a scenario where a child would intellectually test his trust. But faith is more mature and can be tested. In fact, it should be tested.

Yeah, I agree.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 02:57 pm
neologist wrote:
real life wrote:
neologist wrote:
. . . RL, was it possible for Jesus to have sinned?

It certainly relates to the difference between Jesus and his father. Were Jesus identical to his father, he could not sin. If he could not sin, what would be the point of his temptation?

Because the Bible wasn't long enough to fill a half hour slot.
The producers told Jesus to do some extra stuff to make more scenes, even if it wasn't relevent Cool
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 03:00 pm
Neo:

On a serious note, just want to say that what I've noticed you saying on the threads I really respect. I admire you for being able to see all the problems of christianity, and overcome them personally. Your faith is the sort I admire.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 03:18 pm
neologist wrote:
A child's trust is based on experience and need.
False, given a new born baby has no "experience".
neologist wrote:
I can't envision a scenario where a child would intellectually test his trust.
Then you have not heard of Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy, in both those cases many children do indeed "intellectually test" their trust.
neologist wrote:
But faith is more mature and can be tested.
You have in no way demonstrated faith is "more mature".
neologist wrote:
In fact, it should be tested.
Given you use the word "should" by what do you make this unsubstantiated claim?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 03:19 pm
Neo:

On a serious note, just want to say that what I've noticed you saying on the threads I really respect. I admire you for being able to see all the problems of christianity, and overcome them personally. Your faith is the sort I admire.
Thanks for your overstatement.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 03:26 pm
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 03:33 pm
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
Nor does a newborn have a developed sense of trust, according to the psychologists among us.
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
Then you have not heard of Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy, in both those cases many children do indeed "intellectually test" their trust.
DUH! Intellectually!? Surely, you jest? They ask, Santa Parent delivers.
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
OK, Should be. Perhaps all you know of faith is the Santa Claus variety.
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
If a person is willing to die for his faith, he durn well better have something more than a Santa promise in mind. (Though some will splatter themselves for a few dozen virgins.)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 03:33 pm
Chumly wrote:
Not so fast, Chum
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 05:54 am
Hey! It wasn't that much of an overstatement! Very Happy
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 07:13 am
Earlier
Real wrote:
Jesus, in providing Himself as our example, prayed. And so doing showed us how to pray.

This is silly. I've heard this argument before and I can't believe anyone would buy it.

Are we to believe that God is so petty, so small-minded, that he will only accept prayers offered in a prescribed manner? He is not interested in what is in a persons heart but in the method they pray to him? He cannot hear a persons appeal unless it is given in a proper manner?

And what happens to that person who does not pray in the prescribed manner? Will God ignore the persons supplication? Send them to Hell for not know the proper way to pray?

This is another of those cheap and nonsensical answers Christians give to one of the great contradictions of the Bible. Jesus was not God (as in pagan religions) but a Jewish man who prayed to a Jewish God. It's that simple.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 09:14 am
xingu wrote:
Earlier
Real wrote:
Jesus, in providing Himself as our example, prayed. And so doing showed us how to pray.

This is silly. I've heard this argument before and I can't believe anyone would buy it.

Are we to believe that God is so petty, so small-minded, that he will only accept prayers offered in a prescribed manner? He is not interested in what is in a persons heart but in the method they pray to him? He cannot hear a persons appeal unless it is given in a proper manner?

And what happens to that person who does not pray in the prescribed manner? Will God ignore the persons supplication? Send them to Hell for not know the proper way to pray?

This is another of those cheap and nonsensical answers Christians give to one of the great contradictions of the Bible. Jesus was not God (as in pagan religions) but a Jewish man who prayed to a Jewish God. It's that simple.
You are correct in saying that Jesus is not God. But, aside from Real's misconception about the relationship between Jesus and Jehovah, he is correct about the nature of prayer.
Not nearly as petty and cynical as you would have us believe.
In what we commonly call the Lord's Prayer, Jesus gave us a prescription about what are proper considerations for inclusion, namely:
God's name to be made holy
The kingdom (a real government, see Daniel 2:44)
Daily bread - and this includes our personal needs
Forgiveness of sins

A few things and as simple as that. Also, in other prayers, Jesus made it plain that we should pray for the welfare of others. He lambasted the hypocritical prayers and public displays of the religious leaders and made prayer a personal conversation between human and God. All that doesn't sound anything like what you have said.

And, you've also got the wrong idea about hell; but that's another topic.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 10:21 am
neologist wrote:
xingu wrote:
Earlier
Real wrote:

You are correct in saying that Jesus is not God. But, aside from Real's misconception about the relationship between Jesus and Jehovah, he is correct about the nature of prayer.
Not nearly as petty and cynical as you would have us believe.
In what we commonly call the Lord's Prayer, Jesus gave us a prescription about what are proper considerations for inclusion, namely:
God's name to be made holy
The kingdom (a real government, see Daniel 2:44)
Daily bread - and this includes our personal needs
Forgiveness of sins

A few things and as simple as that. Also, in other prayers, Jesus made it plain that we should pray for the welfare of others. He lambasted the hypocritical prayers and public displays of the religious leaders and made prayer a personal conversation between human and God. All that doesn't sound anything like what you have said.

And, you've also got the wrong idea about hell; but that's another topic.

I don't believe that prior to Jesus no one prayed for anyone else or that they prayed for themselves only.

To say that is to say no human cared for any other human except for themselves or family prior to Jesus. That's just not true. I might also point out that Christians today pray for themselves as much as the Jews did in Jeses' day.

How many Christians pray before a test in school, a winning lottery number, don't let a tornado hit my house, cure me, ya-da, ya-da, ya-da.

Nothing's changed, just the Gods.

Now as for the Lord's Prayer

"Give us this day our daily bread."
Feed me

"And forgive us our trespasses,"
There's no way in hell I can keep from sinning so if I ask you in a nice way you will forgive me, won't you? Of course we know your not going to forgive those who won't pray to you. Those people can go to Hell.

"And lead us not into temptation,"
Ya, don't have some sexy looking babe in a tight wrap come visit me. I just don't think I can handle it.

"But deliver us from evil."
Look after me buddy. I'm your No. 1 fan.

Yup, the Lord's Prayer is all about other people and has nothing to do with our selfish hides.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 05:21 pm
neologist wrote:
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
Nor does a newborn have a developed sense of trust, according to the psychologists among us.
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
DUH! Intellectually!? Surely, you jest? They ask, Santa Parent delivers.
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
OK, Should be. Perhaps all you know of faith is the Santa Claus variety.
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
If a person is willing to die for his faith, he durn well better have something more than a Santa promise in mind. (Though some will splatter themselves for a few dozen virgins.)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 06:08 pm
One of the earliest stages of a child's development, and very important is to develop a sense of trust. It is a function of fulfilled needs, i.e. experience.

My subjective opinion is that faith should be more. I think most would agree.

Children figure out for themselves sooner or later about Santa Claus, probably about the same time they are mature enough to make decisions regarding faith.

Of course, some never are mature enough.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 05:38 am
If Jesus was God as the trinitarians espouse then he would have been praying to himself... Kind of like schizophrenia. Twisted Evil
0 Replies