world war 2

elderly

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 09:42 am
when did world war 2 actually start and finish?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 602 • Replies: 4
No top replies

julksy

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 06:36 pm
Google tells me it started in 1914 and ended in 1918.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 06:40 pm
julksy wrote:
Google tells me it started in 1914 and ended in 1918.

That would have been World War I.

For World War II - Japan attacked China in 1937 but the invasion of Poland by Germany in 1939 is what jumped things to "World War" status in most accountings. All hostilities ended in 1945.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 06:50 pm
September to September....my sisters birthday is Sep, 2nd, mine is the 3rd....we just missed a perfect alignment by one day.

Edit....a perfect alignment, with the beginning and ending of the war.
0 Replies

anton

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 04:39 am
The Second World War started in September 1939 when Hitler's Third Reich invaded Poland and Britain declared war on Germany, Britain and her Commonwealth (Empire at the time) stood alone against the might of the Third Reich until America was dragged into the fight when the Japanese invaded Pearl Harbour and Hitler declared war on the US in December 1941.
Initially the Americans wanted nothing to do with what they called, the European War but when Hitler declared war on them their only option was to join the fight.
The war ended in Europe in May '45 and in Japan in September '45 when the US dropped two Atomic Bombs on Japan.
0 Replies