NeEd OpiNIONS!!! Check it

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 02:21 pm
check it..., lets see...

How would you characterize the societal and political changes in America, from roughly 1763-1877? What would you argue were the primary factors and influences that determined these changes? Were these changes simple modifications of existing structures and traditions or did they represent a radical departure from earlier periods?

well....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,454 • Replies: 21
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 02:35 pm
The biggest change was in 1836 when Samuel Colt, the Andorian ambassador to Earth, patented the Colt Revolver, ensuring that Americans could shoot first and ask questions later.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 02:46 pm
When is your paper due?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 03:06 pm
Visitors to this site really need to learn how to ask a question so that it doesn't look like they want us to do their homework.

For instance, if this had been my question I would have said....

Last night over dinner Mr. B and I got into a huge disagreement about societial changes in 19th century America. I said the biggest changes came about because of the civil war/reconstruction, Mr. B says the industrial revolution changed society more.

What do you think?

That way I could have maybe got Asherman to do my homework and I certainly would receive an A if he did because he knows his history.
0 Replies

Mrhistoryguy23

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 04:57 pm
Well my paper is due soon.., I am doing some research but if anyone could help that'll be cool..., Like just opinions open my mind to then choose an argument and start writing.., but since im lost right now i cant do crap... sorry for bother you guys..
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 05:19 pm
Check it!!!!

I see what you are saying Boomer, but even if the question is posed in a less obvious way, it would still be suspect. If a husband and wife {or whoever} were discussing...."American societal changes in the late 18th to mid 19th century"...over dinner, chances are they have a decent grasp on the general subject already, along with the wherewithal to research their arguments on their own, without resorting to a site such as this....could happen, but rare compared to the amount of scholastic questions that are seen here and on similar sites.

It would probably take a decent amount of effort to re-word the question to successfully hide the intent....effort, being the underlying cause for said person being here to begin with. Take "Societal changes" for instance, that would have to be dropped, and of course any of the other often used phrases that are usually only found in exam/homework questions.....those are the dead giveaways.

I can't speak for anyone else...and perhaps some of the actual "history experts" do speak that way....but whenever I do begin to answer a question IRL about something historical, I almost always have to back up after my opening sentence, and shift to a more ...listener friendly...."keep it simple" mode of speech...so they will stop with the blank stare.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 05:23 pm
Mr. History Guy, why did you freak out last time you were here, begging to have your thread removed?

You and I were having such a lovely time, doing the Tango and the Polka.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 05:42 pm
I see what you're saying 2PAD.

In the past I have posted questions resulting from our B dinner table disagreements though and received very insightful answers. Of course, I've been around here for a long time and people know I'm not doing homework.

I gave Mr. History two really big ideas on things his paper could be about and he seems to have just blown them off though so I will no longer help with his homework at all.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 05:42 pm
Drugs . . . drugs was it . . . no, no really . . .
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 05:49 pm
It's always drugs with you, Setanta, you horrid-stoner-nincompoop-history-know-nothing.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 05:50 pm
Yo Mama . . .
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 05:56 pm
Yo Ma Ma?

The cello guy?

Huh?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 05:58 pm
You're the one they're talkin' about when they put up them "Slow Children" signs, ain'tcha, Boom?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 06:00 pm
Uhhh.... I dunno..... maybe?....
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 06:06 pm
Cello guy....is Yo Yo Mama.

I worked on a house last fall, in Carbondale Ill....the owners were former music dept teachers at the college....anyway, the first day I walked in the door, I found myself looking right into Yo Yo's eyes....they had a life size cutout standing in the entrance way...was pretty cool.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 06:10 pm
I'm just trying to get Setanta's goat to make up for that time he stole my llama.
0 Replies

Mrhistoryguy23

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 06:18 pm
Chai, sorry.., that wasnt even me.., that was my cousin being dumb

we still have to go dancing by the way!!

jaja, so is anyone goona help me?
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 06:32 pm
Hmm....I don't know man...last time you ran off and left Chai hanging....she was devastated...we almost had to shut the site down, but then another new guy came along and caught her fancy....oh about 12 min after you left.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 03:20 am
NOBODY messes with Chai and gets away with it...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 07:18 am
I am SO over Mr. History Guy.

I'm hooking back up with gungasnake.
0 Replies