ASK DOCTOR BUSH

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 01:11 pm
WASHINGTON -- The Bush administration wants the Supreme Court's permission to strip prescription licenses from doctors who recommend marijuana to sick patients.

The administration, which has taken a hard stand against state medical marijuana laws, asked the high court to strike down an appeals court ruling that blocked the punishment, or investigation, of physicians who tell patients they may be helped by the drug.

The administration's appeal, filed this week, gives the Supreme Court a chance to revisit the subject of legalized marijuana. Two years ago, the court ruled that there is no exception in federal drug laws for people to use pot to ease pain from cancer, AIDS or other illnesses. That case also involved a ruling of the San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

Solicitor General Theodore Olson said the latest 9th Circuit decision keeps the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration from protecting the public. He said the ruling licenses doctors to treat patients with illegal drugs and that physicians who urge patients to use pot are no different than those recommending heroin or LSD.

Medical marijuana laws are on the books in Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Nevada, Oregon and Washington.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,578 • Replies: 21
No top replies

LibertyD

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 01:27 pm
Mad

It's almost like those guys have made a check-off sheet of all the things they can do to strip everyone -- even the severely ill -- of their rights and privileges. I guess that the suffering brought on by the war wasn't enough for this group of sadistic pricks.

By the way, there is an online petition on the Howard Dean site asking for those responsible for the lies told to bring about war to resign -- there's room to add that until he obtains a medical license he should leave it to those who know better (and maybe suggest that he replace the crack he's obviously smoking with a little ganja, himself):

http://www.deanforamerica.com/site/PageServer?pagename=petitiontt
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 02:03 pm
done and thanks Wink
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 02:20 pm
I always thought I "just dessert" when Dr. Ray-gun got Alzheimers. (Being he was against using fetal tissue in research that would probably have made great strides in treating this sucky disease.) Gee, I wonder what the Fates will come up with for Dr. Bush someday.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 03:22 pm
That's all part and parcel of GWBush's "compassion." c.i.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 04:27 pm
I for one, have never been convinced that these patients truly need marijuana, when we have so many other prescription meds available, which are both legal and effective therapeutically.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 04:30 pm
what's better about perscription drugs? they have so many side effects for some people. So whatever works and is appropriate for each case.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 04:42 pm
Each new designer drug seems laden with lethal potential. I would have to be out of options before I would submit to use them.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 05:00 pm
If it's working for some people, and they want it, that's good enough for me! So what if there are other drugs available? c.i.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 05:11 pm
And who can pay for those drugs, these day. I think they shoul let you grow your own.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 05:14 pm
This website lists the side effects of marijuana and other drugs:

http://www.drug-sideeffects.com/marijuana.htm

The other drugs are listed on the left side of the page. Compare the side effects listed for marijuana with those of synthetic pain killers -- it's amazing.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 05:21 pm
it wouldn't let me link to the other drugs.

By the way, NARCNON is a SCIENTOLOGY organization. They pooh pooh all psycotropic drugs and psychiatry itself. Scientology is a major lobbying group against any medical form of brain medicine. I.E. any type of science that would interfere with their agenda.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 05:32 pm
Liberty, Sorry, but your link sounds more like it has an agenda over what PATIENTS WANT. Most prescription drugs have side affects. Some can damage our liver, but doctors prescribe them anyway. If patients want marijuana to ease their sickness, I'm all for it. It should be THEIR CHOICE, not our governments. We still allow smoking, drinking, and bad foods. People make choices every day, and that's the way it should be. c.i.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 05:45 pm
fealola, here are the side effects for darvocet:

"Darvocet side effects include but are not limited to:

Common Symptoms

Nausea or Vomiting
Dizziness
Drowsiness
Lightheadedness
Shortness of breath
Constipation
Less Common to Rare Side Effects of Darvocet are:

Skin rash, hives or itching
Red dots on skin
Over excitement
Hallucinations
Euphoria (feeling of unusual happiness)
Confusion
Stomach pain
Difficulty urinating
Low blood pressure
Slow heartbeat
Heart palpitations
Life-threatening Side Effects of Darvocet are:

Difficulty breathing
Wheezing "

"Morphine side effects include but are not limited to:

anxiety

involuntary movement of the eyebal

l blurred vision / double vision

constipation "pinpoint" pupils

chills

depressed or irritable mood

itching

cramps

dizziness

rash

diarrhea

drowsiness

rigid muscles

inability to urinate

exaggerated sense of well-being

seizure

dreams

light - headedness

swelling due to fluid retention

dry mouth

nausea

tingling or pins and needles

facial flushing

sedation

tremor

fainting / faintness

sweating

uncoordinated muscle movements

floating feeling

vomiting

weakness

hallucinations

agitation

abdominal pain

headache

allergic reaction

abnormal thinking

high/low blood pressure

appetite loss

accidental injury

hives

apprehension

memory loss insomnia"
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 05:53 pm
c.i. -- I'm pro-legalization. The point is that there are 5 listed side effects for pot, and you can see in my above post (and on the link, if it works for you) that the side effects of synthetic drugs far outnumber that. This means that the arguement by those who are anti-legalization -- that pot has worse side effects -- doesn't work. So, like you said, if marijuana works to curb someone's pain, they should be allowed to use it. I think that it should be considered as one of the first choices given to patients by doctors in all states.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 06:03 pm
fealola wrote:
By the way, NARCNON is a SCIENTOLOGY organization. They pooh pooh all psycotropic drugs and psychiatry itself. Scientology is a major lobbying group against any medical form of brain medicine. I.E. any type of science that would interfere with their agenda.

Sorry, I just read that. Embarrassed

I didn't know it was a scientology organization -- I thought that it was affiliated with AA and NA.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 06:08 pm
LibertyD wrote:
c.i. -- I'm pro-legalization. The point is that there are 5 listed side effects for pot, and you can see in my above post (and on the link, if it works for you) that the side effects of synthetic drugs far outnumber that. This means that the arguement by those who are anti-legalization -- that pot has worse side effects -- doesn't work. So, like you said, if marijuana works to curb someone's pain, they should be allowed to use it. I think that it should be considered as one of the first choices given to patients by doctors in all states.

That's what I thought you meant evenbefore I read the other side effects.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 06:10 pm
LibertyD wrote:
fealola wrote:

Sorry, I just read that. Embarrassed

I didn't know it was a scientology organization -- I thought that it was affiliated with AA and NA.

The pix of Kirstie Alley in the corner is a BIG giveaway! Laughing
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 06:15 pm
"Utilizing the research and developments of American author and humanitarian L. Ron Hubbard, Narconon was founded in the Arizona State Prison by an inmate and former heroin addict, William Benitez. "

From the front page.

Well, I still think it's gotta be safer than the other drugs.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 06:22 pm
Liberty, Sorry for the misunderstanding. My apologies. c.i.
0 Replies