Alzheimer's Patients Dying in Drug 'Scandal'

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 05:23 pm
Rest of Article

Sedatives blamed for thousands of deaths
ยท Campaigners point to lack of cash for trained staff

Polly Curtis, health correspondent
Friday March 30, 2007
The Guardian

A class of drugs widely prescribed for people suffering from dementia is leading to the premature deaths of thousands of patients every year, according to research published today. Campaigners branded the continued use of the sedatives, called neuroleptics, a national scandal after a five-year study revealed that people with Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia are twice as likely to die if they are prescribed them.
Neuroleptics are widely prescribed to help control symptoms of Alzheimer's and dementia including agitation, hallucinations and erratic behaviour, despite only being licensed for use in people suffering from schizophrenia. The research suggests they are of little benefit to patients with milder symptoms, greatly increase their risk of dying prematurely, and that 45% of Alzheimer's patients in care homes are prescribed a neuroleptic drug.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,998 • Replies: 20
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 04:35 pm
Having watched my father die from Alzheimers all I can say is I really hope someone prescribes me something to kill me faster.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 04:44 pm
boomerang wrote:
Having watched my father die from Alzheimers all I can say is I really hope someone prescribes me something to kill me faster.

What she said.

Doubled.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 04:47 pm
I guess we could line them up before trenches and machine gun them real good.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 04:53 pm
Personally, I'd go for that machine gun thing for myself over dying of Alzheimers. I've seen it. It's bad.

I live in the Physician Assisted Suicide state but Alzheimer's patients can't use the law because you have to be terminal within six months and of sound mind to use the law and Alzheimer's patients are neither.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 04:54 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I guess we could line them up before trenches and machine gun them real good.

Dunno...if I get that diagnosis, I hope I have the means and courage to kill myself before I lose all quality of life, so nobody will have to do anything.

I am concerned re the not having benefit for milder symptoms, and the lack of care.

But...if I get to the agitated, hallucinating stage, kill me fast.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 05:09 pm
Ditto....
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 05:17 pm
I hope I do too, Deb, but is it one of those things that sneaks up on you?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 05:18 pm
I've been around alzheimer's patients to near their time of death, and I don't agree with hurrying their death, unless it was mentioned by them when they were competent to say.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 05:34 pm
roger wrote:
I hope I do too, Deb, but is it one of those things that sneaks up on you?

Very likely.

I guess it depends on how early it is "diagnosed".

(The definitive diagnosis is still autopsy)

I'd be wanting to have other possibilities excluded, too, if I were still compos mentis.

I guess one would hope for a window of lucidity?

Mostly, humans don't kill themselves, though.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 05:42 pm
yep, I'd rather check out earlier than wait for a progressive, ultimately fatal disease to finish using my body.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 05:42 pm
All I can say is I'm not surprised. I don't know how I feel about it - mixed.

I have no doubt that lives have been shortened in home-care settings, as well.
The meds given becomes a matter of 'as needed' by the workers, and 'as needed' is varied and sometimes questionable.
Also misdocumented or 'creatively' documented at times.

It's important for people to pay attention, but even that creates problems.
I mean, for the person who is most important in it all - the one receiving care.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 06:21 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I've been around alzheimer's patients to near their time of death, and I don't agree with hurrying their death, unless it was mentioned by them when they were competent to say.

I haven't heard anyone advocate hurrying anyone else's death. I've only heard people talking about their own wishes.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 06:39 pm
My mum was diagnosed with Alzheimers over 10 years ago and talked her doc into giving her some "pills" for when she needed them. She is no longer able to carry out her own intentions. I have mixed feelings.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 09:19 pm
I tried your link, edgar, and it didn't work. I would like to read the entire article though.

My father was young -- mid 60s when he died after a 10 year descent into Alzheimers. His body was still very strong and he was irrational and dangerous. Sedatives were the only way he could remain at home for as long as he did. Even then, the toll it took on my mom was horrendous.

Sedatives might have hastened his death but they also probably made those years more tolerable for him in that he was able to remain with family for as long as he did.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 09:35 pm
http://society.guardian.co.uk/health/story/0,,2046457,00.html

Try this
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 07:50 am
When my father was dying (of cancer) every time I visited the hospital I passed a elderly woman tied into a wheelchair which was parked by the nursing station.

In spite of the rag doll she was clutching for comfort, her cheeks were streaked with tears.

If you made eye contact with her she would plead, "Please. Take me to my mother."

Her family didn't visit. They felt there was no point because she didn't recognize them.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 08:05 am
Quote:
"If this was a massive increase in mortality in children there would be an outcry. Older people aren't seen as a priority. These sedatives are being used because the services can't cope with people who are in a distressed state. There are ways to avoid them but it would involve training of staff, which is costly."

This was from edgar's link.

There is no doubt that not only Alzheimer's patients, but other people with mental illnesses, are being "snowed" with drugs that make them more manageable. Years ago, when a psychiatric patient was aggressive, they would give them lobotomies, which calmed them down, but had a detrimental effect on their personalities.

I don't know what the answer is. A facility needs a lot of quality staff time and patience to deal with a surly, aggressive patient. It is all about time and money.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 11:31 pm
boomerang wrote:
Personally, I'd go for that machine gun thing for myself over dying of Alzheimers. I've seen it. It's bad.

I live in the Physician Assisted Suicide state but Alzheimer's patients can't use the law because you have to be terminal within six months and of sound mind to use the law and Alzheimer's patients are neither.

The law should be modified.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 05:51 am
The original thrust of the thread was drugs killing patients who are not necessarily ready to die. While I can appreciate those among us who prefer to die early, I think it's a disgrace to be killing off people before they are ready to go.
0 Replies