Can you analyse the grammar of ...

fansy

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 08:45 am
The exemption of an exported product from duties or taxes borne by the like product when destined for domestic consumption, or the remission of such duties or taxes in amounts not in excess of those which have accrued, shall not be deemed to be a subsidy. ]

Correct parsing of a sentence may help one understand the meaning of a sentence better, however, sometimes a sentence may appear syntactically ambiguous.

I am waiting for your analysis of the grammar of the above quotation.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 591 • Replies: 6
No top replies

contrex

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 09:48 am
Your question appears rude to an English speaker.

"I am waiting for your analysis". This is how we speak to servants, or children.

Does the sentence seem ambiguous to you?
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 06:37 pm
Sorry
I'am sorry, but I didn't mean it. Thanks for your reminding me of this usage.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 02:10 am
What do you want to know about the syntax of the sentence?
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 04:58 am
How to analyse the grammar of ...
[The exemption of an exported product from duties or taxes borne by the like product when destined for domestic consumption, or the remission of such duties or taxes in amounts not in excess of those which have accrued, shall not be deemed to be a subsidy. ]

This is what I have in mind about the syntax of the above quote:

Step 1:
The exemption of ..., or the remission of ..., shall not be deemed to be a subsidy.
This should be the main elements of this sentence. Right?

Step 2:
The exemption of an exported product from duties or taxes borne
by the like product when destined for domestic consumption

The problem is where I should segment the sentence (part of this sentence) : Can I cut it like this so that it reads:

The exemption of an exported product from duties, or the exemption of an exported product from taxes borne by the like product when destined for domestic consumption. Is it okay?

OR

The exemption of an exported product from [duties or taxes]
[duties or taxes] borne by the like product when destined for domestic consumption, ...

I'd very much appreciate your kind help.
THANKS
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 06:59 am
Quote:
The problem is where I should segment the sentence (part of this sentence) : Can I cut it like this so that it reads:

The exemption of an exported product from duties, or the exemption of an exported product from taxes borne by the like product when destined for domestic consumption. Is it okay?
I don't think the intent was to allow exemption of all duties.

Quote:

OR

The exemption of an exported product from [duties or taxes]
[duties or taxes] borne by the like product when destined for domestic consumption, ...
While duties are normally for import and export there is no reason that a nation couldn't have domestic duties on products. So it makes more sense to keep "duties or taxes" together as an item.

If they were to be seperate, I would write the sentence as

The exemption of an exported product from duties or from taxes borne by the like product when destined for domestic consumption,
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 07:21 am
You are great!
You are great!
I'm for keeping "duties or taxes" together; but some of my students thought that the first way of analysing the sentence should be correct. So I brought the argument to this forum for support, and I got it. Thanks.
0 Replies