8 year olds - having crushes and keeping secrets

nimh

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 03:34 pm
Swimpy wrote:
My younger son had a crush on a cute little girl named Lori from pre-school though high school although they never were more than just friends. Funny thing is that they met again now that they are both 30. His opinion of her now? "She's boring."

Oh yeah, I later saw a class photo of back then, with Paulien in it. Oh dear...
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 03:59 pm
Yea, Ian's crush is not so cute anymore. Poor thing. She was adorable as a tyke.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 10:50 am
Just reminds me of the younger one - she is 4 and adores this one little boy. He is a younger brother of my older daughter's friend. My 4 year old insists he is her boyfriend. They do play very nice together.

The other day I asked if she loved me - she said of course I love him he is my boyfriend. So yes crushes occur even in very young children.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 10:55 am
Here's my concern, that's been somewhat alleviated by the stories here. It seems like "crushes" and "falling in love" and "he's so cute" and "she's so pretty" are everywhere in children's media. Sozlet doesn't watch a lot of TV but it's hard to avoid, and I've been worried that it's in that context that she thinks that if she likes a boy, she must like that boy.

But it seems to happen independent of modern children's media, too.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 11:11 am
sozobe wrote:
Here's my concern, that's been somewhat alleviated by the stories here. It seems like "crushes" and "falling in love" and "he's so cute" and "she's so pretty" are everywhere in children's media. Sozlet doesn't watch a lot of TV but it's hard to avoid, and I've been worried that it's in that context that she thinks that if she likes a boy, she must like that boy.

But it seems to happen independent of modern children's media, too.

In my four year old's case - it is more of a "I like J-, he's a boy so he is my boyfriend." My older daughter is more a crush.

I do think the media and kids shows do emphasize it, but it happens any way. I don't remember seeing so much of it when I was younger, however, we still had our crushes even so. Perhaps the media is only reflecting what is going on in kids' lives any way - what is important to young children.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 10:11 am
Today is class picture day, everyone was dressed up. The object of sozlet's affections, whom she hadn't yet noticed, called her name, and once she looked at him, smiled suavely. (He was dressed way up -- tie, perfect hair, etc.) She expressed her appreciation. Too funny.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 10:26 am
Too cute!

Yesterday - for the first time I was late picking up my daughter - there was an incredible amount of traffic end even my 30 minute cushion was quickly being used up.

Fortunately for me, it was a teacher a knew that was watching over aftercare. I called her cell and she offerred to bring my daughter over her house with her son and I could pick her up there as her son and my daughter were they only two left. Fortunately for my daughter her son is her crush.

Their house is between my work and their school so I arrived about 5 minutes after they did. My daughter was so disappointed that I arrived so quickly. In the car she told me I ruined her life.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 10:40 am
Awww... I think we'll probably do plenty of life-ruining by the time they're 18 or so.

Can you set up a playdate or would that be equally mortifying?

Purposely be more substantially late sometime?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 10:48 am
His mom already said that we will have her over another time - I guess the disappointment was apparent.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 10:50 am
That's nice!
0 Replies