Conservative politician,49, in trouble over latex photoshoot

nimh

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 06:46 pm
Yes, I'll post pictures.. (this should get A2K some extra pageviews on the long run..)

Gabriele Pauli is a politician for the deeply conservative Christian Social Union of Bavaria, Germany. She is "Landrätin" (district administrator, says the online dictionary) for Furth, her office is in the small town of Zirndorf.

She is, however, ambitious and outspoken. And she came into frontpage news when, speaking up with her doubts about CSU leader and Bavarian Prime Minister Edmund Stoiber, she paved the way for Stoiber's more discrete rivals to topple him.

Stoiber was PM for a generation's length, and in 2002 was the national Christian-Democratic candidate to become Germany's new Chancellor. A race he lost against Gerhard Schroeder, but not for lack of popular support from his home state. And many have not forgiven the "king's murderer", Gabriele Pauli. At a mass gathering of the CSU in Passau, 6000 "party friends" booed her, and yelled, "witch" and "pig".

It doesnt help that, to CSU standards, Pauli is unusually modern. When a Turkish journalist asked her if she would allow her 19-year old daughter to marry a Turk, she answered "If they love each other, why not?", ensuring a big headline in Hurriyet. She is newly divorced. She wears high heels and slightly shorter than knee-length skirts; senior party colleagues warned her that she should start wearing longer skirts. She drives a red Ducati motobike. After she had spoken up about Stoiber, the State Chancellory launched an informal investigation of her, apparently intended to unearth problems with men or alcohol.

In her own town, however, in the traditionally more liberal northern part of Bavaria, she is popular - she got two-thirds of the vote last time round. But she was heading for bigger things: "I need a new challenge, have the feeling that I can't bring new impulses to this office anymore." Instead, she speculated about being a Minister, or a future General Secratary of the party. She demanded more internal democracy in the CSU party

Now, however, she is in trouble. In a feature in the magazine Park Avenue, she posed for a photoshoot - wearing a red wig, latex gloves, a black eyemask and a black minidress, while in the article saying, "I want to experience new things, steer big politics". "It was just something new for me, I never modelled for a glamour magazine before," she initially told Bild, calling the shoot "photo art".

But on Wednesday, CSU politicians were indignant. "Her behaviour is out of the question. With this, she has convicted herself", said Hans-Peter Uhl, domestic policy speaker for the Christian-Democratic party in Germany's parliament. CSU MP Norbert Geis declared solemnly that politicians should maintain a degree of seriousness, and "Ms Pauli has violated this seriousness". He added, "she can't think that she can reach higher office within the CSU in this way".

Alas, Pauli promptly herself also protested the way the magazine had printed the article. Text and images "evoke an association with many observers that I can not accept", she said, complaining that "the selected, provocative layout" had not been agreed with her.

In another forthcoming article in Bunte she is to be quoted saying that she can't exclude leaving the CSU in the longer term - "My home is with the CSU. But it can not remain a one-sided love in the long term." The Free Voters group has already made advances. "The CSU should become clear about what it holds for me".

Die Landratin von Furth: Gabriele Pauli - reizvoll, rot, rebellisch.
Wirbel um Vamp-Fotos von Gabriele Pauli

OK, here's the photos.. All I can say, as just a 35-year old young 'un, thats one hell of a way of being 49. Respect Razz

(Click for full view)

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/254/pauli1kp7.th.jpg

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7990/pauli2pi1.th.jpg

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/7780/pauli3vf6.th.jpg

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/2416/pauli4ph2.th.jpg

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3227/pauli5ot7.th.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 5,359 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 11:03 am
What a crock of tempest in a teapot scheisse (sp?) . . . i mean, i know the Bavarians are Catholic and German--two strikes against them there--but, sheesh, she ain't even nekkid . . .
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 07:18 pm
@nimh,
Those photos seem incredibly tame to me. I thought Americans were supposed to be so uptight?
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 07:30 pm
you would think they had never seen a Fassbinder film... Laughing
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 03:00 am
@DrewDad,
Ha! Fair enough. But remember - she's a politician. Not sure how Sarah Palin or Hillary Clinton (OK, Pauli is hardly of the same caliber, but you get my drift) doing a latex photo shoot would go over...

Actually, this reminds me of two current controversies about election posters in Germany, will come back later, gotta run now..
DrewDad

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 06:39 am
@nimh,
Well, I'm from Austin. One of our most visible local personalities is a homeless transvestite who wears speedos....
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 07:10 am
OK, so here are this year's causes for political frowns:

Quote:
Posters of Angela Merkel's cleavage spice up German election campaign
TelegraphMobile

Billboards of Chancellor Angela Merkel sporting a very revealing low-cut dress have pepped up a German election campaign that has so far struggled to grab public attention.

The election placards have been put up by Vera Lengsfeld, a member of Mrs Merkel's own conservative CDU party, who is running in a left-wing district of Berlin for a seat in parliament in the September 27 poll.

http://m.telegraph.co.uk/;m=is;f=jpg;h=208;k=gZZV0rFO64Mm5DlryOy85w;q=100;w=333/it%3aturukawa/tSUW-071awsAxvYFtJez-A.jpg

The billboards show photographs of each woman in an evening dress showing plenty of cleavage with the slogan: "We have more to offer" emblazoned over the chancellor's breasts.

Mrs Lengsfeld, a former East German dissident, said she had not cleared the picture beforehand with Mrs Merkel, 55, telling rolling news channel N24: "The chancellor could never have allowed me to do this, otherwise everyone would have wanted to do it."

She added: "I find it amazing how little humour some people have shown over this placard. People always complain that election posters are boring and then as soon as someone does something different, people get annoyed," she said.

Mrs Lengsfeld, 57, said she had 17,000 visitors on her election blog since she shot into the public eye and added: "If only a tenth of them also look at the content of my policies, then I will have reached many more people than I could have done with classic street canvassing."

She will have her work cut out, however, to transform the limelight into success at the ballot box against a popular Green party veteran.

The famous photo of Mrs Merkel's cleavage, taken at the opening of the Oslo Opera House in April 2008, prompted headlines such as "Merkel's Weapons of Mass Destruction" "Deutschland boober alles" in British tabloids.

On Mrs Lengsfeld's election blog, opinion was sharply divided.

"Alex" wrote: "Fantastic idea. Witty, cheeky and funny. I personally never thought I would see such a daring billboard in an otherwise very respectable and serious German election campaign."

But "Lena" had a completely different view, saying: "This billboard is embarrassing and shameful ... how deeply sad that a women has to attract attention with her breasts because she is incapable of clever words and thoughts."

Quote:
http://images.zeit.de/bilder/2009/33/politik/deutschland/vera-lengsfeld-100809/vera-lengsfeld-100809-artikel-210.jpg
Zeit Online: Vera Lengsfeld will für die CDU in den Bundestag - dabei sollen ihr das eigene Dekolleté und das von Angela Merkel helfen

Quote:
Controversy Over Bare Buttocks
German Green Party Defends 'Racist' Campaign Poster

A German campaign poster featuring the buttocks of a black woman is stirring controversy. Some local people in the western town of Kaarst, where the Green Party put up the poster, have called it racist and tasteless.

A German election campaign poster featuring the naked buttocks of a black woman being squeezed by the hands of a white woman under the slogan "The Only Reason to Vote Black" has provoked accusations of racism.

http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,1623413,00.jpg
The Greens election poster in the German town of Kaarst.

The poster put up by the environmental Greens party in the western town of Kaarst contains a play on words: "Black" in German party politics refers to the color colloquially used to describe Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservative Christian Democratic Union (CDU) party. Other major parties are described as red, yellow and, of course, green.

The poster is meant to highlight the Greens' support for same-sex partnerships, said the local head of the Greens, Christian Gaumitz, according to the daily Rheinische Post. "We only put up a small number of these posters. The response has been very big, but the majority of people share our understanding of the subject: that it's provocative, but not tasteless."

Locals have complained that the poster is racist and tasteless, according to media reports.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 03:55 pm
@nimh,
what was it lenny bruce said about the older woman in lima, ohio wearing the see through blouse??

"uhh... yeah.. ya could see everything. and ya didn't want to.."..
0 Replies