Marines Bans Big, Garish Tattoos

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 07:29 am
fishin wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

again I ask "so what?" and refer you to my comment about this being a pander to conservative image.....

I can sort of agree with excessive piercings, but that is something different. I occasionally take out my piercings if necessary and then replace them. A tatoo is just there.

And when the guy shows up in work on Monday morning and complains that they can't do their assigned job because their back, arm, neck, etc.. is tender from their weekend tatoo work?

If you want to play in a freak show then join the circus.

have you ever had a tattoo? Because if someone is unable to work because they're too sore from their tattoo work then they are pussies with a capital P and don't need to be in the service anyway.

That was a major stretch there good buddy.

And btw, under the current administration the military and their actions HAVE been reduced to a freak show IMO. Difference being that if Barnum and Bailey hires the wrong ringmaster people don't get killed and maimed by the thousands.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 07:38 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

have you ever had a tattoo? Because if someone is unable to work because they're too sore from their tattoo work then they are pussies with a capital P and don't need to be in the service anyway.

Hardly a major stretch. I've been there and had guys assigned to me complain. But then guys that need tats to prove to the world how cool they are tend to be pussies anyway.

But then you don't have any military experience to know what duties they'd have do you? As usual, lots of hot air with nothing to back yourself up.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 07:46 am
fishin wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Hardly a major stretch. I've been there and had guys assigned to me complain. But then guys that need tats to prove to the world how cool they are tend to be pussies anyway.

But then you don't have any military experience to know what duties they'd have do you? As usual, lots of hot air with nothing to back yourself up.

tsk tsk fishin'... all hostile suddenly.... please enlighten me as to what duties a person with a tattoo could not perform that a person without one could... and I'm talking about physically able to perform not some dress code crap.

You know I lead an extremely disciplined lifestyle all appearances to the contrary here and I don't need a rulebook, a dress code or a superior officer to do it......but you wouldn't know that because you have no experience being me.... so I suppose that means you're full of hot air to make a judgement on me right? :wink:

And fishin'....some people get tats because they like them with no other reason or underlying psychological need..... I'm afraid it's true.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 01:54 pm
Perhaps I'm too cerebral, but it seems to me that soldiers choose tattoos not only because they are a bonding sign of membership in their military unit but because the conspicuous body art sets them apart from civilians of the same age.

This In Group/Out Group identification makes a nonsense of the notion of the Citizen Army.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 02:31 pm
fishin wrote:
And when the guy shows up in work on Monday morning and complains that they can't do their assigned job because their back, arm, neck, etc.. is tender from their weekend tatoo work?

then they don't want to do their assigned job. it's got nothing to do with a weekend tattoo.

good effort at an excuse, but it wouldn't fly with anyone who's got ink.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 02:36 pm
fishin wrote:

that's a buncha hooey fishin.

Do Marines expect time away from ANY duty because they've been driving with their left arm outside of the vehicle and they have a mild sunburn? Likely not - because they know anyone would be able to tell that was a silly excuse. Ink's just an easier excuse to get away with when you're in front of someone who doesn't have any ink.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 02:54 pm
smack that big bully for me ebeth.... he called me a pussy and made me cry Crying or Very sad Laughing
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 05:07 pm
from wiki :

Quote:
The British Royal Court must have been fascinated with the Tahitian chief's tattoos, because the future King George V had himself inked with the 'Cross of Jerusalem' when he traveled to the Middle East in 1892. He also received a dragon on the forearm from the needles of an acclaimed tattoo master during a visit to Japan. George's sons, The Duke of Clarence and The Duke of York were also tattooed in Japan while serving in the British Admiralty, solidifying what would become a family tradition.

Taking their sartorial lead from the British Court, where Edward VII followed George V's lead in getting tattooed; King Frederick IX of Denmark, the King of Romania, Kaiser Wilhelm II, King Alexander of Yugoslavia and even Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, all sported tattoos, many of them elaborate and ornate renditions of the Royal Coat of Arms or the Royal Family Crest. King Alfonso of modern Spain also had a tattoo.

Tattooing spread among the upper classes all over Europe in the nineteenth century, but particularly in Britain where it was estimated in Harmsworth Magazine in 1898 that as many as one in five members of the gentry were tattooed. There, it was not uncommon for members of the social elite to gather in the drawing rooms and libraries of the great country estate homes after dinner and partially disrobe in order to show off their tattoos. Aside from her consort Prince Albert, there are persistent rumours that Queen Victoria had a small tattoo in an undisclosed 'intimate' location; Denmark's king Frederick was filmed showing his tattoos taken as a young sailor. Winston Churchill's mother, Lady Randolph Churchill, not only had a tattoo of a snake around her wrist, which she covered when the need arose with a specially crafted diamond bracelet, but had her nipples pierced as well. Carrying on the family tradition, Winston Churchill was himself tattooed. In most western countries tattooing remains a subculture identifier, and is usually performed on less-often exposed parts of the body.

since i'm not royalty , i have no tattoo .
hbg
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 06:09 pm
to me you're royalty hbg, so go knock yourself out. :wink:
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 06:30 pm
I don't know what the rules are like today, but I suffered a horrible sunburn in silence 30-odd years ago rather than be put on charge (Naval Reserves). I don't see how a tattoo would be any different from a sunburn -- if the resulting pain made it unable for a person to perform their military duties it would be considered a self-inflicted wound.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 08:43 am
ehBeth wrote:
fishin wrote:

that's a buncha hooey fishin.

Do Marines expect time away from ANY duty because they've been driving with their left arm outside of the vehicle and they have a mild sunburn? Likely not - because they know anyone would be able to tell that was a silly excuse. Ink's just an easier excuse to get away with when you're in front of someone who doesn't have any ink.

Unlikely as it may be, military members DO get punished under the UCMJ when it does happen. Do a Google search on "UCMJ sunburn" and you'll find several offical Army and Navy documents specifically mentioning it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 10:51 am
fishin wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
mild sunburn

Unlikely as it may be, military members DO get punished under the UCMJ when it does happen. Do a Google search on "UCMJ sunburn" and you'll find several offical Army and Navy documents specifically mentioning it.

did the google - they're talking about something much more obvious than the kind of mild sunburn the after-effect of a tat could be compared to - there should be no blistering after a tat (which is the kind of sunburn - 2nd degree on up - they're talking about at the links I've been finding)

if anyone's trying to get off of duty as a result of a tattoo they're zooming their friend/boss/superior

mild sunburn - at worst - unless they've found some rinky-dink unlicensed place that they should be punished for going to - cuz it's evidence they're not too bright
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 11:55 am
Being the commander in chief, and sujbect to the rules he'd better get this made permanent before it's too late.

http://www.neoclowns.com/BushClown1.jpg
0 Replies