Historical context applied to Current Events

okie

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 01:22 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
okie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
http://www.fas.org/irp/news/1996/pomo-terror.htm

15 seconds on Google. Step up to the information age, Okie.

You will note that the president of France, the Prime minister of Spain, the President of America, and the king of Italy were all killed by terrorists in the space of just a few years. I think that qualifies as a huge problem, thanks very much. And we didn't build secret prisons or torture people to stop it.

Cycloptichorn

You haven't begun to demonstrate that problem is anywhere close to the one we are dealing with, in scope or type.

Let me get this straight. Terrorists at the time manage to assasinate many different heads of state, and bombs were going off in America left and right; but it's not the scope of what we're dealing with today?

Have any of our top leadership been harmed by terrorism? Any western nation? Your argument that today's problem is worse than problems which were in the past is ludicrous, simply ridiculous.

Cycloptichorn

Whens the last time terrorists killed close to 3,000, crashed the Pentagon, and probably aimed at taking out the White House?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 01:26 pm
Re: Historical context applied to Current Events
Setanta wrote:
So, Okie, do you think that American concepts of freedom and justice end at the water's edge? If so, do you think we were wrong to sign the Geneva Convention?

okie wrote:
Yes they end on the battlefield, not by our choice, but by the choice of reality, plain and simple. We make a pretty good effort even given the handicaps given us. We didn't ask for the conditions, Setanta, but we have to cope with them.

okie, you speak of "handicaps" as if somebody else was imposing something on you. But don't you think that by

a) signing the Geneva Conventions and
b) invading Afghanistan and Iraq

you did ask for the conditions of finding your military involved in a war and still having the obligation of following the regulations of the Geneva Conventions?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 01:27 pm
Equating piracy at sea to 911 is ludicrous, Setanta. Get serious.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 01:27 pm
okie wrote:
Again I ask, you Setanta or anyone else that wants to take the question, if you were president, how would you handle enemy combatants captured in Afghanistan? Turn them loose or bring them back to this country and give them full rights as citizens to a trial as innocent until proven guilty? Or do it reasonably as the Bush administration is doing, try to evolve and develop a reasonable and measured policy for a very prickly and unique problem that we have not encountered before on this scale. I want a straight answer. No more equivocating and criticizing the administration over trumped up, fictitious, and impractical scenarios. Remember, I am a citizen and I am holding you responsible as my president to keep the country safe, and that is your number one priority as president.

No, the number one priority of the President is that he (or she) will, as he (or she) swears or affirms to do when inaugurated: " . . . to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."--which is a direct quote from the Constitution.

You, as a citizen, are in no better position to dictate to the office of President how the incumbent shall conduct himself (or herself) than is any other citizen, nor do you have any special qualifications to claim that it is equivocation to insist that the President honor the Geneva Conventions, which were signed by the United States after they had been approved by the Senate in the constitutionally-mandated procedure.

Therefore, with regard to Afghanistan, which was a war against a foreign government, i would do my level best to put the sons-of-b1tches out of business, and observe the terms of the Geneva Convention Relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War in dealing with anyone taken on the battlefield. That means that Article Five must be honored, which holds that anyone taken on the battlefield is to be accorded all the protections of the Convention until such time as their status is determined by a competent tribunal. Hell yes, i'd bring them back here, and i'd make the process of quickly bringing them before a competent tribunal as transparent as possible. Anyone who had been taken in arms on the field of battle who were determined by the tribunal not to have been a lawful combatant could then be reasonably described as "a terrorist."

I sure as hell wouldn't call anyone taken prisoner a terrorist just because Okie says so.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 01:32 pm
old europe wrote:
Setanta wrote:
So, Okie, do you think that American concepts of freedom and justice end at the water's edge? If so, do you think we were wrong to sign the Geneva Convention?

okie wrote:
Yes they end on the battlefield, not by our choice, but by the choice of reality, plain and simple. We make a pretty good effort even given the handicaps given us. We didn't ask for the conditions, Setanta, but we have to cope with them.

okie, you speak of "handicaps" as if somebody else was imposing something on you. But don't you think that by

a) signing the Geneva Conventions and
b) invading Afghanistan and Iraq

you did ask for the conditions of finding your military involved in a war and still having the obligation of following the regulations of the Geneva Conventions?

We did not ask for terrorists to come over here and kill thousands and do millions or billions worth of damage. And we didn't ask for plotters to hide out in Afghanistan at the invitation and protection of the Taliban. And we did not ask for such people to not claim any allegiance to any country or to not wear any uniform. We did not ask for an enemy that is not a signatory to the Geneva Convention or an enemy that totally ignores any of its agreements.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 01:34 pm
okie wrote:
What are you arguing?

Who's on first?

Quote:
My position is clear. In contrast to history, we are not out of line. Where have we done anything significantly different for problems that have happened before? Terrorism in terms of scope and seriousness is a new and different problem. Do you have any evidence that we have acted inappropriately in comparison to past actions?

Clear as mud. If terrorism in terms of scope and seriousness is a new and different problem then historical comparisons are useless.

As an aside, I agree with Thomas about Roosevelt.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 01:35 pm
Setanta wrote:

No, the number one priority of the President is that he (or she) will, as he (or she) swears or affirms to do when inaugurated: " . . . to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."--which is a direct quote from the Constitution.

Protection of the country is part and parcel of protecting the constitution. Without a country, you have no government, much less a constitution.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 01:44 pm
okie wrote:
Equating piracy at sea to 911 is ludicrous, Setanta. Get serious.

I am serious, and i'm sure the families of all the men murdered in the Mediterranean between 1783 and 1815 were just as heart-broken and vengeful as any members of the families of those who were killed on September 11th. The Barbary Wars were conducted because literally millions of dollars worth of shipping were taken, and thousands of Americans murdered or sold into slavery. The United States government, when it was still small and poor, spent millions to fight the Barbary pirates, and hundreds of sailors and Marines were killed fighting them. The American frigate Philadelphia was captured in 1803, and Stephen Decatur lead a daring night-time raid to burn her rather than let the Tripolitanians keep her and use her against American shipping or the Navy. Have you never heard the Marine Corps Hymn? What do you think "shores of Tripoli" refers to? Marines marched overland from Egypt in an attempt to free the crew of Philadelphia--they succeeded in capturing the Tripolitanian city of Derna, and were able to negotiate the release of prisoners.

Apart from that, the United States government paid millions in tribute over more than 20 years in an attempt to prevent acts of piracy against American shipping.

You don't think piracy conducted by foreign powers is terrorism? You don't know too goddamned much about history, do you?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 01:52 pm
Quote:
The U.S. paid Algiers the ransom, and continued to pay up to $1 million per year over the next 15 years for the safe passage of American ships or the return of American hostages. Payments in ransom and tribute to the privateering states amounted to 20 percent of United States government annual revenues in 1800.

That is from the article which i already linked about the First Barbary War. So tell me, Okie, you don't think that 20% of annual revenues for a fledgling and new government was significant? Do you suggest that this was not as important to the administrations of Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison and Monroe as the terrorism of this century is to us?

What planet do you live on? You asked if the United States had ever had to deal with a situation like this before, probably because you thought you knew the answer (it's always dangerous to think you know something when you should know your own ignorance). So you are provided with a very important example from out history, and now you want to try to weasel out of the consequences of having asked that question without really knowing the answer yourself.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 01:52 pm
okie wrote:
We did not ask for terrorists to come over here and kill thousands and do millions or billions worth of damage. And we didn't ask for plotters to hide out in Afghanistan at the invitation and protection of the Taliban. And we did not ask for such people to not claim any allegiance to any country or to not wear any uniform. We did not ask for an enemy that is not a signatory to the Geneva Convention or an enemy that totally ignores any of its agreements.

No, you did not. But you signed the Geneva Convention, and you invaded Afghanistan and Iraq.

Your argument goes along the lines arguing that, if the police has to fight criminals who do not obey the law, then the police should in turn not be bound by the law. Would you like to live in a country where the police wasn't bound by the laws? I don't think so. There are too many good reasons not to allow the police to break the laws, even if the have, by definition, to deal with people who break the laws.

The same thing goes for the Geneva Conventions.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 01:54 pm
McGentrix wrote:
If terrorists want to be protected by the Geneva conventions, they should act accordingly. Otherwise they do not apply to them.

The Geneva conventions are to protect soldiers and civilians, not terrorists.

This is the same stupidity for which i already called Okie. How do you know they're terrorists, McWhitey? Just because you say so? We should ignore the terms of the Geneva Convention just because McWhitey says they're all terrorists?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 02:00 pm
This is bloody ridiculous. Okie starts a thread entitled "Historical context applied to Current Events," and then when someone applies historical context, he squeals and says it's not the same.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 02:15 pm
Yup.

Quote:
My position is clear. In contrast to history, we are not out of line.

With the difference being, we have evolved as both a society and as a people away from much of the barbarism of our history. Most Americans see this as a positive occurrence, but you seem to see it as a negative one.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 03:14 pm
Setanta wrote:
This is bloody ridiculous. Okie starts a thread entitled "Historical context applied to Current Events," and then when someone applies historical context, he squeals and says it's not the same.

Talking about sea piracy in the 1800s for how we can deal with Al Qaeda in Afghanistan is your historical context, not mine. Who is being ridiculous?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 03:16 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Yup.

Quote:

With the difference being, we have evolved as both a society and as a people away from much of the barbarism of our history. Most Americans see this as a positive occurrence, but you seem to see it as a negative one.

Cycloptichorn

Yes, it would be nice if all cultures could do that, wouldn't it cyclops?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 03:17 pm
okie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Yup.

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

So you agree that Christians should abandon their morals, because others don't live up to them?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Setanta wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
If terrorists want to be protected by the Geneva conventions, they should act accordingly. Otherwise they do not apply to them.

The Geneva conventions are to protect soldiers and civilians, not terrorists.

This is the same stupidity for which i already called Okie. How do you know they're terrorists, McWhitey? Just because you say so? We should ignore the terms of the Geneva Convention just because McWhitey says they're all terrorists?

In war, it is sometimes hard to tell, Setanta. If they are trying to kill you, that would be your first clue.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

okie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Yup.

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

Yes, it would be. And one should naturally question whether our recent actions further or hinder this lofty goal.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 03:19 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
okie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Yup.

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

So you agree that Christians should abandon their morals, because others don't live up to them?

Cycloptichorn

Did I say that? I guess this begs the question, do you believe war is ever necessary?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 03:22 pm
okie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
okie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Yup.

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

Cycloptichorn

Did I say that? I guess this begs the question, do you believe war is ever necessary?

You implied that the US should give up our moral and ethical development because other nations don't have the same level - the equivalent. Do you agree or disagree that we should not base our ethics and morals on the behavior of others, but on what we consider to be right and wrong?

War is sometimes necessary, yes. This has nothing to do with our current conversation, though.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies