Using Medical Information on the Internet

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 07:23 am
One of the great things about the internet is the vast store of information with regards to medical subjects. As a consumer of medical services, IMO, it is extremely important to have as much understanding about your medical conditions, and the drugs and procedures used to combat these problems.

The problem is that there are a lot of good, professional sites out there on the internet............................and a lot of garbage.

I found a great tutorial that gives you some hints as to what to look for on a medical site:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/webeval/webeval_start.html

This tutorial will be most valuable to those who have not yet done much medical research on the internet, but can also serve as a refresher course for those who regularly surf medical sites.

In my mind there are some rules of thumb.

Who wrote the site? Do they have a hidden agenda?

Is the site up-to-date?

Is the site really attempting to impart information, or are they simply attempting to sell you something?

What is the quality of the expertise of the people writing the site?

Do you do medical research on the net? What has been your experiences?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,197 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Charli

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 06:36 pm
Thank you for the tutorial site!
Thank you, Phoenix, for the tutorial site!

Yes, I do a lot of research on the Internet - including for medical information. The following is my reply to a friend asking for my opinion about a particular medical info site. I've altered some of the "names."

"First: I question the writer's 'authority.' Who is this person? What are his credentials?

"Second: Re: The length of his postings - time to read - precludes any in-depth analysis. I'm amazed that the 'owners' of the Message Board would permit that much bandwidth use. It must be a 'freebie'?

"Third: If I had time to study this 'manuscript' . . . I'd possibly do a 'Find on this page' for a particular word/disease/malady to see what E..H..... had written about that. (See 'Fifth.')

"Fourth: IMHO, only the sites from reputable sources are to be 'trusted.' Especially, those dealing with medical matters. For example, there's a '...... ......... Friends' site one can join and also post on. I've looked at it a time or two - not my 'thing,' even if I do have the disease. I have a myriad of articles from 'other' [very trusted] sources.

"Fifth: One can always try to verify: [as President] Reagan [said] - 'Trust but verify.' "

Thanks again! Smile Smile Smile -- Charli
[/color]
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 06:39 pm
I usually go to the Mayo Clinic site first -- haven't often been disappointed.

www.mayoclinic.com
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 04:34 pm
i use the mayo clinic website - seems to be reliable - but no "quick fixes" !.
our physician has suggested on occasion we do some internet "research" Laughing - perhaps i'll be able to get a M.D. that way too :wink: .
hbg
0 Replies