British Forces Held By Iran

blatham

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 09:16 am
spendius wrote:
Bernie quoted-

Quote:
pointed humiliation of Britain,

It is well known that if a premiss is designed to arrive at a conclusion it generally does so. This, obviously, does not necessarily mean that the conclusion is valid except for those, maybe, who have squealing hinges in their brains.

spundi

The fellow who writes those words is one of the mouth-frothy warmongers over here. I despise the fellow. I posted the bit in response to something written earlier.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 09:21 am
hamburger wrote:
i was surprised to see that the british sailors were reading from prepared statements this morning (as broadcast by BBC) .
i have to wonder if those statements were all prepared by the sailors themselves - without any coaching or censoring .
i've got a suspicious mind .
hbg

Do you believe thwey were more or less rehearsed than those issued, presumably from them, while they were captives?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 09:23 am
anton wrote:
British diplomacy wins the day, well done you Brits, that's the way to go!

No imprisonment, no orange Jump Suits, no torture, allowed to contact their families and not locked in cages as per Guantanamo Bay.
Congratulations; President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad you demonstrated compassion and a civilized approach.

Evidently the Stokholm syndrome can operate over long distances.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 09:29 am
georgeob1 wrote:
hamburger wrote:
i was surprised to see that the british sailors were reading from prepared statements this morning (as broadcast by BBC) .
i have to wonder if those statements were all prepared by the sailors themselves - without any coaching or censoring .
hbg

Do you believe thwey were more or less rehearsed than those issued, presumably from them, while they were captives?

I don't believe either account. There really isn't any evidence to support either account, so what's to believe? These poor Brits are just parroting the line of whatever government happens to hold them captive and say 'this is what you are going to say, if you know what is good for you.'

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 09:30 am
George wrote-

Quote:
Evidently the Stokholm syndrome can operate over long distances.

That's hardly fair George.

The comparison was reasonable I think.

Bernie wrote-

Quote:
The fellow who writes those words is one of the mouth-frothy warmongers over here. I despise the fellow.

Why spread his words around in that case.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 09:39 am
spendius wrote:
That's hardly fair George.

I'm not sure I follow you. I haven't enough knowledge of what happened, either during their captivity or afterwards, to have an opinion, one way or the other. My question to Hamburger was really that - a question.

I do believe the revolutionary element of the iranian regime that did this deed (and which spawned their current president - a classical overcompensating short guy, if there ever was one ) is just as self-righteous, ignorant and fanatical now as it was in 1979.

The notion that they (the Iranians)are somehow enhanced by their release of the captives is absurd.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 09:43 am
george wrote :

Quote:
a classical overcompensating short guy, if there ever was one

is george deciding on who is good and who is evil by size this morning Laughing Question
hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 09:52 am
george wrote :

Quote:
hamburger wrote:
hbg

george wrote :

of course not .
the propaganda machines in all countries use pretty well identical procedures and manuals .
i just thought it was not particularly smart to actually put them like choirboys in front of the cameras and make them read the written statements .

btw i read on BBC that the british navy has decided to stop bording procedures in the gulf awaiting the review of policies and procedures Exclamation
hmm , now let me see ... oh , never mind .
hbg
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 09:53 am
George wrote-

Quote:
The notion that they (the Iranians)are somehow enhanced by their release of the captives is absurd.

I didn't suggest otherwise. The audience to which the Iranians were playing will no doubt have another view.

The comparison anton made was presumably designed to make Americans ashamed of Guantanamo Bay.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 09:57 am
hamburger wrote:
george wrote :

Quote:

is george deciding on who is good and who is evil by size this morning Laughing Question
hbg

I didn't say he is evil. However, my experience of life has indeed taught me that authoritarian short guys are generally a bit worse than authoritarian tall ones.

Aminidajadababa is a prime example.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 10:00 am
As Nigel said in "The Devil Wore Prada": "Little men. Huge egos."
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 10:01 am
georgeob1 wrote:
hamburger wrote:
george wrote :

Quote:

hbg

I didn't say he is evil. However, my experience of life has indeed taught me that authoritarian short guys are generally a bit worse than authoritarian tall ones.

Aminidajadababa is a prime example.

But, I've always been lead to believe that he's just a front man for the guys in the back. So why attach anything to his personality at all - if he isn't calling the shots?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 10:04 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:
[
But, I've always been lead to believe that he's just a front man for the guys in the back. So why attach anything to his personality at all - if he isn't calling the shots?

Cycloptichorn

I don't think that either of us really knows the truth of that. In any event he adds a clear personal flavor to his actions that seems authentically his.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 10:30 am
statement attributed to british naval chief :

Quote:
"For the moment, we have stopped (British) boarding operations. Coalition operations continue under U.K. command," said Adm. Jonathon Band, head of the Royal Navy. "Currently, our (operations) have been suspended while we do that review."

link to article :
BRITISH NAVY SUSPENDS BOARDING OPERATIONS
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 11:46 am
hamburger wrote:
statement attributed to british naval chief :

Quote:
"For the moment, we have stopped (British) boarding operations. Coalition operations continue under U.K. command," said Adm. Jonathon Band, head of the Royal Navy. "Currently, our (operations) have been suspended while we do that review."

link to article :
BRITISH NAVY SUSPENDS BOARDING OPERATIONS

This could have been the aim of Iran the whole time. Who knows what kind of weapons or even people they have been trying to send into Iraq that they didn't want to send over the land border. I think we should watch Iran and Iraq a little bit more closely in the near future.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 12:09 pm
Baldimo wrote:
This could have been the aim of Iran the whole time. Who knows what kind of weapons or even people they have been trying to send into Iraq that they didn't want to send over the land border. I think we should watch Iran and Iraq a little bit more closely in the near future.

From the above quote:
"For the moment, we have stopped (British) boarding operations. Coalition operations continue under U.K. command."
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 12:24 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Baldimo wrote:

From the above quote:
"For the moment, we have stopped (British) boarding operations. Coalition operations continue under U.K. command."

Doesn't matter, since the British Navy isn't doing boarding parties any longer that makes less man power available. It still attains the aim of limiting the ability to detect contraband being shipped.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 12:38 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Doesn't matter, since the British Navy isn't doing boarding parties any longer that makes less man power available. It still attains the aim of limiting the ability to detect contraband being shipped.[/quote

If that is really the case you know more than First Sea Lord Admiral Sir Jonathon Band.
He said, they continue to do so, only as "Coalition Forces" and not - as long as the military review of the circumstances is conducted - as "UK forces".
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 01:07 pm
statement released by Adm. Jonathon Band, head of the Royal Navy .

Quote:
"For the moment, we have stopped (British) boarding operations. Coalition operations continue under U.K. command," said C. "Currently, our (operations) have been suspended while we do that review."

statement released by "baldimo" of a2k :

Quote:
Doesn't matter, since the British Navy isn't doing boarding parties any longer that makes less man power available. It still attains the aim of limiting the ability to detect contraband being shipped

better listen to the voice of experience and authority !
hbg
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 01:17 pm
hamburger wrote:
statement released by Adm. Jonathon Band, head of the Royal Navy .

Quote:
"For the moment, we have stopped (British) boarding operations. Coalition operations continue under U.K. command," said C. "Currently, our (operations) have been suspended while we do that review."

statement released by "baldimo" of a2k :

Quote:
Doesn't matter, since the British Navy isn't doing boarding parties any longer that makes less man power available. It still attains the aim of limiting the ability to detect contraband being shipped

better listen to the voice of experience and authority !
hbg

Let me give you an example of what I mean.

Total Coalation ships doing boarding(including UK ships): 20
British ships taking part in boarding:10
Total coalation ships doing boarding after UK suspends:10

They would now have half the man power to still do the same # of boardings.

Does this bring what I'm saying to light? If the US suspends its ships and men from taking part then there is a total deducation of man power for ship inspections.
0 Replies