British Forces Held By Iran

revel

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 12:48 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Ahmanutjob said he was releasing the 15 hostages as a gift to Britain today.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070404/ts_nm/iran_britain_dc_40

Maybe all that saber rattling paid off?

The only ones doing any saber rattling has been conservative Americans which for the most seems to be ignored these days. The British seemed to take a more calm approach which seens to have paid off.

Quote:

Speaking later in Downing Street, British Prime Minister Tony Blair welcomed the sailors' release and said Britain bore the Iranian people no ill will.

Throughout we have taken a measured approach, firm but calm, not negotiating but not confronting either," he told reporters.

source
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 12:56 pm
revel wrote:
The only ones doing any saber rattling has been conservative Americans which for the most seems to be ignored these days. The British seemed to take a more calm approach which seens to have paid off.

But that seems to be the topic here - this is a thread in "Politics" and not in "International News".
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 02:56 pm
Brits tortured then released. link
0 Replies

anton

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 02:15 am
British diplomacy wins the day, well done you Brits, that's the way to go!

No imprisonment, no orange Jump Suits, no torture, allowed to contact their families and not locked in cages as per Guantanamo Bay.
Congratulations; President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad you demonstrated compassion and a civilized approach.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 06:38 am
anton wrote:

No imprisonment, no orange Jump Suits, no torture, allowed to contact their families and not locked in cages as per Guantanamo Bay.
Congratulations; President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad you demonstrated compassion and a civilized approach.

Woot! Anton bought the propaganda hook, line and sinker!

That Ahmadidn'tgetajob must be a real great guy, huh? A real winner.
0 Replies

anton

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 07:06 am
McGentrix wrote:
anton wrote:

Woot! Anton bought the propaganda hook, line and sinker!

That Ahmadidn'tgetajob must be a real great guy, huh? A real winner.

Tell me about him and the propaganda, my guess is you know nothing only the propaganda you get from the Bush regime and the whole world, including the majority of Americans, are awake to that?
0 Replies

malek

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 07:36 am
I'm glad that quiet diplomacy won the day in the end. It should always be be given a proper opportunity to succeed before mud slinging and force is used.
The objective was to get those sailors back safe, as quickly as possible.

Loss of face means a hell of a lot to people from the middle east (and to some Americans, it would seem) but human lives must override that small thing every time, if at all possible.
Some Brit newspapers are calling it humiliation for the British government. Personally, I see it as mission accomplished for Blair and the diplomats concerned. Anyway, todays newspapers are tomorrow's fish and chip wrappers, so who cares about loss of face in the long run.

This situation could have easily escalated into a full blown war, so everyone on both sides should be celebrating today.

Well done to the grey men in suits who work behind the scenes and know their way round a minefield or two.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 08:03 am
Iran official: U.K. sailors freed after Britain sent apology letter

By News Agencies
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/845887.html
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 04:23 pm
malek wrote:
I'm glad that quiet diplomacy won the day in the end. It should always be be given a proper opportunity to succeed before mud slinging and force is used.
The objective was to get those sailors back safe, as quickly as possible.

Loss of face means a hell of a lot to people from the middle east (and to some Americans, it would seem) but human lives must override that small thing every time, if at all possible.
Some Brit newspapers are calling it humiliation for the British government. Personally, I see it as mission accomplished for Blair and the diplomats concerned. Anyway, todays newspapers are tomorrow's fish and chip wrappers, so who cares about loss of face in the long run.

This situation could have easily escalated into a full blown war, so everyone on both sides should be celebrating today.

Well done to the grey men in suits who work behind the scenes and know their way round a minefield or two.

I am also glad that diplomacy worked,but I have to wonder what the "big stick" was that Britian used.
REmember,Teddy Roosevelt once said "speak softly and carry a big stick".

So,the Brits did speak softly,so it must be assumed that they were carrying a big stick to use if needed.

Personally,I think that the hostages were let go because Iran realized they had overplayed their hand.
They were getting no support,even from other Arab nations for their actions.
They didnt get the apology that they wanted (at least not one that was announced publicly),they didnt get the support from the UN,or the lifting of YN sanctions.

I think they gambled and lost,and they knew it.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 04:34 pm
Britain sent an apology letter? I read the piece very hurriedly but I think it said that Iran said they had received a letter of apology. They didn't specify from whom? Not that it's all that important. I believe Blair is telling that truth that no negotiations or capitulation was done with iran.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 04:54 pm
Foxfyre, Blair of the Saddam can bomb us 45 minutes and Downing Street Memos, David Kelley and sexed up fossiers? Yeah let's trust his word.
http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/ww3/101403_kelly_1.html
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 04:55 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
Foxfyre, Blair of the Saddam can bomb us 45 minutes and Downing Street Memos, David Kelley and sexed up fossiers? Yeah let's trust his word.
http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/ww3/101403_kelly_1.html

And this relates to 16 British hostages held by Iran in March and April of 2007 how?
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 04:58 pm
Foxfyre, it has to do with your statement,
"I believe Blair is telling that truth". Not many trust his word these days.
0 Replies

anton

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 05:41 pm
The bottom line is all the sailors are home with their families, the rest is history!
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 06:17 am
anton wrote:
The bottom line is all the sailors are home with their families, the rest is history!

The rest is history for how long? I don't think it is a matter of if, but when it happens again. What are they going to ask for the next time they take hostages?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 06:40 am
Why am I yet surprised every day by the squealing hinges in you folks' brains.
Quote:
Britain's Humiliation -- and Europe's
By Charles Krauthammer
Friday, April 6, 2007; Page A21

Iran has pulled off a tidy little success with its seizure and release of those 15 British sailors and marines: a pointed humiliation of Britain, with a bonus demonstration of Iran's intention to push back against coalition challenges to its assets in Iraq. All with total impunity. Further, it exposed the impotence of all those transnational institutions -- most prominently the European Union and the United Nations -- that pretend to maintain international order.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/05/AR2007040501796.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

Quote:
(CBS/AP) Britain called for direct talks with Iran over 15 captive Britons after speaking for the first time with the chief Iranian negotiator. Tuesday's announcement followed the sudden release of an Iranian diplomat in Iraq that raised new hope in resolving the standoff.

Great Britain and Iran have exchanged diplomatic documents outlining the terms of the deal, reports CBS News national security correspondent David Martin. In return for the release of the sailors and marines, the British government would say it regrets the incident and will make sure it doesn't happen again, but would not admit its personnel violated Iranian waters.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/04/03/world/main2640858.shtml?source=RSSattr=HOME_2640858
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 08:27 am
Bernie quoted-

Quote:
pointed humiliation of Britain,

It is well known that if a premiss is designed to arrive at a conclusion it generally does so. This, obviously, does not necessarily mean that the conclusion is valid except for those, maybe, who have squealing hinges in their brains.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 08:37 am
Quote:
Last Updated: Friday, 6 April 2007, 14:28 GMT 15:28 UK

UK captives tell of ill treatment

Royal Navy personnel seized by Iran were blindfolded, bound and held in isolation during their 13 days in captivity, the crew have said.
They were also subject to random interrogation and rough handling, and faced constant psychological pressure.

In a joint statement the crew also stressed that they were inside Iraqi waters at the time of the capture.

Royal Marine Captain Chris Air said it became apparent that opposing their captors was "not an option."

"If we had, some of us would not be here today, of that I am completely sure," he said.

The crew said they spent nights in stone cells, sleeping on piles of blankets and were kept in isolation.

Earlier, the Royal Navy's head defended the actions of the personnel, after criticism that they gave up too easily.

First Sea Lord Admiral Sir Jonathon Band said the crew "reacted extremely well in very difficult circumstances".

He said British boarding operations being carried out in the Gulf had been "absolutely proper", but there would be a "complete review".

The captured personnel appeared on Iranian television admitting they had strayed into Iran's territorial waters, a claim the UK denies.

Lt Gen Sir Michael Gray, former commander of the 1st Battalion of the Paras, was quoted in the Daily Mail as describing the situation as a "shambles".

And Amyas Godfrey, an associate fellow of the Royal United Services Institute (RUSI), previously said the personnel could have stood up to their captors more.

Admiral Band told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "This incident was a most extraordinary act conducted in those waters...

"I think they acted with considerable dignity and a lot of courage.

"They appear to have played it by the rules, they don't appear to have put themselves into danger, others into danger, they don't appear to have given anything away".

The navy has begun a review of the circumstances leading to the capture.

'No deal'

Admiral Band said the review would also examine the rules of engagement for UK forces operating in the area.

However, he said the decision to board and search the merchant ship that led to the seizure of the navy personnel had been "absolutely proper".

He said UK boarding operations had stopped for now, but coalition operations were continuing under British command.

Earlier, an MoD spokesman said the UK would continue to ask Iran to return its two captured boats used by the 15 crew, but he held out little hope of success.

The freed personnel were flown to the Royal Marine base, at Chivenor, in north Devon, on Thursday.

Lt Col Andy Price, who met the group at the airport, said there had been "times when they were left alone", but refused to elaborate.

Prime Minister Tony Blair contrasted the return unharmed of the Britons with four soldiers killed in Basra in Iraq on the same day.
source
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 08:47 am
i was surprised to see that the british sailors were reading from prepared statements this morning (as broadcast by BBC) .
i have to wonder if those statements were all prepared by the sailors themselves - without any coaching or censoring .
i've got a suspicious mind .
hbg
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 08:55 am
"Officially, the Royal Navy insisted it was proud of its team, but other military sources claimed their home coming would be "tough".

"They cannot expect a hero's welcome. There are some very senior intelligence people who have come to the base and will begin the debriefing," said one source, adding: "There is a strong feeling this group played into the hands of the Iranians and their so-called confessions were simply too compliant."
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/article2426278.ece
0 Replies