Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 02:36 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,095 • Replies: 21
No top replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 04:00 pm
What would they do there, besides drink and apply nail polish?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 04:29 pm
Re: President's family wartime sacrifice.
au1929 wrote:

Hmmm.. Here is a question that maybe Ms. Kelley could clear up. She says "his children enlisted" and then mentions "Newsreels showed the president's four sons...".

I'd like to know what unit FDR's daughter, Anna, served with. Was she in the Army, Navy or the Marine Corps?

Also, if James Roosevelt enlisted as a show of support as she states then why was it that he got commissioned in 1936 - 5 years before the war started? (I won't even ask how he got commissioned directly as a Lt. Col. without ever having served in any of the 4 lower officer ranks.)

Ms. Kelley is playing a little fast and lose with facts to make her point again.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 04:51 pm
Doh! Brian Williams just reported on tonight NBC Evening News that Bush's nephew begins OCS (Officer Candidate School) for the Navy tomorrow. Something about being an Intelligence Officer.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 04:56 pm
fishin wrote:
Doh! Brian Williams just reported on tonight NBC Evening News that Bush's nephew begins OCS (Officer Candidate School) for the Navy tomorrow. Something about being an Intelligence Officer.

Bah, they don't see action! j/k

But anyone who passes OCS - man. that's a tough person

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 09:12 am
fishin wrote:

Also, if James Roosevelt enlisted as a show of support as she states then why was it that he got commissioned in 1936 - 5 years before the war started? (I won't even ask how he got commissioned directly as a Lt. Col. without ever having served in any of the 4 lower officer ranks.)

Ms. Kelley is playing a little fast and lose with facts to make her point again.

Speaking of playing fast and loose.
Quote:
ROOSEVELT, James, (son of President Franklin D. Roosevelt...
went on active duty as a captain in the United States Marine Corps in November 1940; promoted to colonel April 13, 1944, and served in the Pacific Theater; released from active duty in August 1945

http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=R000426

Then there is this fairly comprehensive bio of his military service
http://hqinet001.hqmc.usmc.mil/HD/Historical/Whos_Who/Roosevelt_J.htm
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 09:23 am
George P. Bush, a nephew of President Bush who was a hit on the campaign trail, has been accepted in the Navy Reserve as an intelligence officer and has begun the process of being commissioned for eight years of service.

Bush, 30, said in a telephone interview from his office at a real estate development firm in Fort Worth, Texas, that he was moved to join the service in part when he attended the rainy commissioning in October of the aircraft carrier named for his grandfather -- the USS George H.W. Bush.

"My grandfather's my hero, and what really sold me on the ultimate decision was having the chance to see the CVN-77 be commissioned under his name," he said. "That was pretty moving, and I had a chance to meet some Navy admirals, as well. I had a chance to talk to them briefly about the opportunity, and I was won over."

George Prescott Bush, the oldest son of former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, said the death of Pat Tillman, the NFL player and Army Ranger who was killed in Afghanistan in 2004 in what was later determined to be a friendly-fire incident, "was a wake-up call for me." He said he even "looked into active duty" and had somber conversations with his wife about the possibility.

Bush said he had not intended to announce his plans. "Honestly, I'm kind of a little disappointed that the word got out," he said. "I was hoping to keep this as confidential as possible. I'm not doing it for political purposes or anything along those lines. I'm just doing it because I've been inspired by the friends of mine that have served, either through the JAG (military law) program or through the Reserves. I thought this was a small way that I could get involved."

Bush, who said he plans to "stay out of 2008," is a leader of the Maverick PAC, which was formed by young Texas donors to the Bush-Cheney campaign. The group has a series of meetings scheduled with the Republican presidential candidates.

Bush expects to receive his commission in a month or two. He will go to officer candidate school in Rhode Island, then intelligence school in Virginia Beach. The commitment involves two weeks of annual training. He can volunteer for active duty or be deployed after he finishes his intelligence certification, which takes about two years.

He'll have to run a mile and a half in 13 minutes, which he said he can do now, but he's trying to get down to the 10 minutes and 30 seconds required for SEALs and special operations. He's also a golfer and weightlifter.

Bush is chief operating officer and part owner of his firm, which provides equity capital to developers, most of whom are involved in specialty shopping centers with high-end tenants such as Starbucks.

Though he was raised in Florida, Bush settled in Texas after graduating from Rice University and the University of Texas Law School. He is a member of the board of directors of the Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce and the Fort Worth Hispanic Chamber of Commerce and is involved with the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. Bush attends a small Catholic parish in downtown Fort Worth.

Bush was known as "George P." during his frequent travels on his uncle's plane during the 2000 campaign. He drew shrieks from the ladies and was compared to John F. Kennedy Jr. when he spoke at the Republican National Convention. During the 2004 campaign, he was a clerk for a federal judge; the Hatch Act prevented him from getting involved until the final months, when he had a heavy schedule of appearances in swing states with large Hispanic populations, including Florida, Colorado, Nevada and New Mexico.

Bush wouldn't talk about any political plans of his own, but friends say they believe the family may soon be in store for another gubernatorial campaign.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 09:30 am
parados wrote:
fishin wrote:

Speaking of playing fast and loose.
Quote:
ROOSEVELT, James, (son of President Franklin D. Roosevelt...
went on active duty as a captain in the United States Marine Corps in November 1940; promoted to colonel April 13, 1944, and served in the Pacific Theater; released from active duty in August 1945

http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=R000426

Then there is this fairly comprehensive bio of his military service
http://hqinet001.hqmc.usmc.mil/HD/Historical/Whos_Who/Roosevelt_J.htm

And why did you only C&P the part about him serving from 1940 on? Your own 2nd link says "He entered the Marine Corps on 13 November 1936 as a lietuenant colonel in the Reserve, and completed various period of active duty - with the Marine Detachment aboard the USS Indianapolis; with Fleet Landing Exercise #4 (FLEX-4) in the San Juan-Culebra-Virgin Islands area on reconnaissance patrols and experiments with raiding and patrolling parties; and at Parris Island, South Carolina, in connection with testing of anti-aircraft batteries."
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 10:48 am
Yeah fishin, and why did you leave out this part?

Quote:
On 3 October 1939, he requested and was granted permission to resign his commission as a lieutenant colonel. Shortly thereafter, at his own request, he was re-commissioned in the Marine Corps Reserve, in the grade of captain, on 24 November 1939.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 11:00 am
parados wrote:
Yeah fishin, and why did you leave out this part?

Quote:
On 3 October 1939, he requested and was granted permission to resign his commission as a lieutenant colonel. Shortly thereafter, at his own request, he was re-commissioned in the Marine Corps Reserve, in the grade of captain, on 24 November 1939.

Because it is irrelevant?

Once he entered the service in 1936 he had an 8 year obligation. When he resigned his commision he went from Active Duty to Inactive Reserves. 7 weeks later he went from Inactive Reserves to Active Reserves.

The fact that he resigned his commission and then re-entered the active reserves in just under 2 months in 1939 doesn't change the fact that it was all still done well before the U.S. entered WWII in 1941 or even before the draft was started in Septemebr of 1940.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 11:09 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

What is so special with it?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 11:11 am
Quote:
He entered the Marine Corps on 13 November 1936 as a lietuenant colonel in the Reserve

I don't see where Kelly claimed they enlisted after Pearl Harbor. Your argument seems to be that they didn't enlist when you think they should have rather than arguing that they didn't serve.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 11:13 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

What is so special with it?

Had a frat brother who went one summer, he was a sniper in the marines before he came to college. Quiet guy, tough guy.

When he got back from OCS he said it was by far the most difficult challenge of his life, designed to strain him in every possible direction and matrix until he broke - which he said they all did, without a doubt, or they kept trying until you did - and then built up stronger.

The stories were just plain nuts. I have respect for anyone who passes.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 11:25 am
Must be different here: after I had passed it, I decided to keep my "normal-conscript-status" :wink:
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 11:47 am
parados wrote:
Quote:
He entered the Marine Corps on 13 November 1936 as a lietuenant colonel in the Reserve

I don't see where Kelly claimed they enlisted after Pearl Harbor. Your argument seems to be that they didn't enlist when you think they should have rather than arguing that they didn't serve.

I didn't dispute that his children (or at least 4 of them) served. In my original comment I quoted and directly responded to Kelley's statement:

Quote:
Franklin Delano Roosevelt showed how the power of good example could also be powerfully good politics. When he led the country to sacrifice in World War II, his children enlisted and his wife traveled to military bases to counsel and comfort the families of soldiers.

She puts the enlistments as occuring after FDR "led the country to sacrifice in World War II". By starting the sentence with "When..." she is creating a timeline. The sequence of events didn't happen as she implies with that timeline, hence the term "fast and loose".
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 12:11 pm
So, the proposed new criterion is that if a president uses the military, his relatives must enlist. Henceforth, any president who uses the military and whose family doesn't join up will be deemed a hypocrite. Maybe the president should just shoot a few relatives to show solidarity with those who have lost family members in the war, so as not to appear hypocritical.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 12:41 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
So, the proposed new criterion is that if a president uses the military, his relatives must enlist. Henceforth, any president who uses the military and whose family doesn't join up will be deemed a hypocrite. Maybe the president should just shoot a few relatives to show solidarity with those who have lost family members in the war, so as not to appear hypocritical.

How many places did Clinton send the military during his Admin? I don't recall any one complaining about his daughter not being in the military. My younger brother was in during the Clinton years and he was sent to Bosnia for about a year and then was home for 2 months before being sent to Haiti for another 6 months or so. No one said **** about the military being sent to these places and how long it was between deployments for soldiers. Bosnia and Haiti were worthless deployments and didn't serve the national interest of the US.

I could careless if a politician has family members in the military, it doesn't have any bearing on the politician but on the member who joined. You can't make someone join and you can't keep an able bodied person from joining. To make an issue of whether a politician has family in the military I think is lame. Who cares if they do or not.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 12:55 pm
fishin wrote:
By starting the sentence with "When..." she is creating a timeline. The sequence of events didn't happen as she implies with that timeline, hence the term "fast and loose".

might be how different people/generations learn grammar. I read that as meaning when, when, when (not a timeline) - so three discrete events.

<grammar nerd interest only>
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 12:58 pm
Yes, in fact, back in 1996 I swear Chelsea handed me a flyer as I walked down Michigan Avenue in Chicago. Why wasn't she in Kuwait guarding the no-fly zone?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 01:08 pm
KITTY KELLY QUOTE:

Quote:
When I was a little girl in a convent school, the nuns impressed on me...

MS Kelly:

The nuns "impressed" so many kids, that when these kids finally reached adulthood they left the Catholic
Church and finally were able to enjoy life .
0 Replies