scalp problem or what

peaches

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 06:59 am
I have a hair problem .My hair is very dry ,damaged ,wavy and frizzy .the hair on the bottom is alot straigther and shinier .the whole problem began when i was 11 ,my mom says when i started taking care of my own hair (all my hair was the same)could it be due to stress ,i mean friction cause i toss and turn while i sleep ,i also have plugged pores on my head i think cause where i put the shampoo on my head,i aslo used to blow dry my hair need your help please really badly,i look horrible
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,627 • Replies: 2
No top replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 07:19 am
You might like to talk to a dermatologist and see if there are meds or ointments that might improve your hair situation.

Good luck!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 07:39 am
Hi peaches, welcome to Able2know!

I'd definitely contact a doctor as you might have atopic eczema, which is certainly treatable.

If the problem isn't medical, I suggest you try a few experiments, if you're willing.
* What happens if you take a day off from shampooing and just wet your hair in the shower?
* What if you take a day off from blow drying, and just let your hair air dry?
* What if you try a dandruff shampoo, or one designed for dry hair?
* What if you go without conditioner for a day?

Also, what did your Mom use when she was the one caring for your hair? You may want to go back to that, at least as a point of reference.

Plus, lots of hormonal changes happen during puberty. One is in the skin (acne), but it's definitely possible (and can be painful) to get scalp acne. This could be causing the clogged pores in your scalp. Tossing and turning during sleep probably isn't causing anything; it's more likely that you could be experiencing problems from over-drying your hair or brushing too often and/or too hard.

I've found that I do best when I was my hair every day or every other day (as I've gotten older, my hair's gotten dryer). But, I only condition the lower half (my hair is past my shoulders) - if I condition near my scalp, my hair lies flat. And, unless it's really cold in the house, I don't do more than dry my bangs using a low setting on the hair dryer and then a quick pass-through on high for the rest of my hair. Generally, it's just damp when I'm done with it. But, I recall, when I was a teenager, I did wash it more often, but I had the same issue with conditioner - too much, too high on the hair, just made everything lay flat and didn't do a lot for me in terms of manageability.

Best of luck to you! :-D
0 Replies